Hawaii Polls
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:46:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Hawaii Polls
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hawaii Polls  (Read 1192 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 23, 2008, 02:45:17 AM »

I've looked all over and can't find any.  Anybody else want to try and dig some up?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 02:46:57 AM »

I don't think there have been any done.

Anyway, I would imagine Obama and McCain are well ahead.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 02:51:59 AM »

I don't think there have been any done.

Anyway, I would imagine Obama and McCain are well ahead.

Why McCain?  It's either Romney or Paul - it's a relatively low turnout state (Paul) with a lot of Mormons (Romney).  Obama definitely has it, since he went to school there.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 02:52:42 AM »

I don't think anyone remotely cares about Hawaii.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 03:04:30 AM »

I don't think anyone remotely cares about Hawaii.

YOU HAVE ANGERED HAUMEA, GODDESS OF THE HAWAIIAN SEA

MAY HER FISH BRETHREN CAUSE YOU MUCH HARDSHIP AND BROTHER KANALOA DRAG YOU INTO THE DEPTHS OF THE UNDERWORLD
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 03:07:12 AM »

I agree that Obama will do well in Hawaii. But it has a very large military population (active and retired). Won't that help Clinton, since she's been very martial the past 2 years?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 04:19:11 AM »

I agree that Obama will do well in Hawaii. But it has a very large military population (active and retired). Won't that help Clinton, since she's been very martial the past 2 years?

Aren't most military guys Republicans and hence will vote for McCain in the GOP primary?

Anyway, isn't Hawaii 6% Mormon? That would translate into what, 12% of GOP primary vote? Which in turn would give Romney about 10%. A good base but it doesn't in itself seal the win. I'd expect a lot of Hawaii people to be moderates which would help McCain. I expect Huckabee to suck here though and Paul to over-perform.

Then again, no one cares.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 04:33:34 AM »

Aren't most military guys Republicans and hence will vote for McCain in the GOP primary?

True, I didn't think of that.

Anyway, isn't Hawaii 6% Mormon? That would translate into what, 12% of GOP primary vote? Which in turn would give Romney about 10%. A good base but it doesn't in itself seal the win. I'd expect a lot of Hawaii people to be moderates which would help McCain. I expect Huckabee to suck here though and Paul to over-perform.

Great, another state for the Norman to win Tongue 

Hawaii's different ethnic groups have very different voting patterns. I forget exactly what they are but its something like:

Japanese and Native Hawaiian ancestry- Strong Democrats

Filipino ancestry and Mainland (European) Whites- Republicans
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 04:35:07 AM »

Then again, no one cares.

I heard they had a large Mormon population.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2008, 04:43:45 AM »

Hawaii's different ethnic groups have very different voting patterns. I forget exactly what they are but its something like:

I believe it's a tad more complicated than that because the native hawaiians (and possibly some other non-White groups) are heavily pro-incumbent - they will vote for the incumbent regardless of party (hence why Bush did so well there last time, Clinton did very well in 1996, Bush Sr. did about as well as he did nationally in 1992, Carter eeked out a win in 1980, etc). I remember there was some attention given to the fact that Hawaii in 2004 was the only state where whites were the best demographic for Kerry.

But I'm no expert. Related to that, Inks, I have no source for the 6% figure either. Someone on the forum said it was 6% and no one denied it. Someone else said that Nevada showed that the mormon propirtion doubles in the primary. So I'm going by hearsay here, I'm as little a mormon-expert as I am a Hawaii-expert. Smiley
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2008, 05:08:52 AM »

I believe it's a tad more complicated than that because the native hawaiians (and possibly some other non-White groups) are heavily pro-incumbent - they will vote for the incumbent regardless of party (hence why Bush did so well there last time, Clinton did very well in 1996, Bush Sr. did about as well as he did nationally in 1992, Carter eeked out a win in 1980, etc). I remember there was some attention given to the fact that Hawaii in 2004 was the only state where whites were the best demographic for Kerry.

But I'm no expert. Related to that, Inks, I have no source for the 6% figure either. Someone on the forum said it was 6% and no one denied it. Someone else said that Nevada showed that the mormon propirtion doubles in the primary. So I'm going by hearsay here, I'm as little a mormon-expert as I am a Hawaii-expert. Smiley

Do we have any Hawaiians?
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2008, 05:48:15 AM »

Why McCain?  It's either Romney or Paul - it's a relatively low turnout state (Paul) with a lot of Mormons (Romney).

Paul is not ahead anywhere.  Giuliani and McCain could drop out, and Paul still would not be ahead anywhere.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2008, 11:02:58 AM »

Why McCain?  It's either Romney or Paul - it's a relatively low turnout state (Paul) with a lot of Mormons (Romney).

Paul is not ahead anywhere.  Giuliani and McCain could drop out, and Paul still would not be ahead anywhere.

He got 2nd in Nevada.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2008, 12:30:19 PM »

yall are a bunch of assholes for so flippantly saying "no one cares" about a state.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2008, 12:32:28 PM »

He got 2nd in Nevada.

With what, 13% of the vote? He's not going to win any state, I don't care if the turnout is 3 guys. Romney will win wherever there are Mormons.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2008, 12:34:50 PM »

yall are a bunch of assholes for so flippantly saying "no one cares" about a state.

Eh...ok.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2008, 02:38:42 PM »

Romney will win it.

It'll still go Democrat in the general, so whatever.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies