McCain on war in 1993
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:49:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  McCain on war in 1993
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: McCain on war in 1993  (Read 2822 times)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2008, 07:41:21 PM »

Ok, bg...I see you're not gonna take reason on this one at all. It seems to make you feel very good about yourself wheneve you can score a zinger in your mind against anyone.

Misspelling a word has nothing to do with intellectual capacity and if you were less petty you would acknowledge that.

As for the rest...do you honestly believe that it wasn't moronic to make the claim that it's flip-flopping to have different positions on different issues 15 years apart? Maybe I was being a little too harsh, but Jfern is constantly acting this way and it's gotten to me. You, on the other hand, called me a retard, among other things, which is considerably more slanderous. If you would actually read my post you will notice that I don't claim that you're dumb. I am rather suggesting that you're a pretty mean-spirited person who is rather often out to get other people and put them down for your personal amusement. In fact, your response pretty much proved my point. The fact that you didn't respond to what I was actually saying could be a result of EITHER your inability to understand it OR due to your purposefully ignoring it in order to use it against me. Again, I'm thinking the latter because I never said you were stupid and I don't think you are. Unlike you, I'm not gonna hurl random insults at you in order to win a discussion or whatever.

Furthermore, yes, it's a bit of an absurd personal attack to say that I'm misbehaving as a moderator and say that I should quit when there is neither a reason to do so nor something I've ever sought after.

Finally, you continue to ignore everything you cannot meet while trying to distort things to fuel your little vendetta. I've replied to everything you've said, but I had to refer to part of it as a rant which sense I could not decipher. I find it strange though that you would call me a retard and at the same time expect of me to understand everything you say. Seems inconsistent to me. Unless you were only saying that to make me cry, or something along those lines.

If you want to call me a hypocrite I'd like to see your evidence for it.

bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2008, 09:03:09 PM »

It seems to make you feel very good about yourself wheneve you can score a zinger in your mind against anyone.

Score a zinger? I really haven't said much that qualifies as a "zinger" anymore than this:
You must be logged in to read this quote.

It would be like me calling you a looser. I would be making myself look dumb and the irony may amuse some people.

Personal amusement, eh? Well why do you put people down? Pure hatred?

I feel that I have adequately replied to your posts. Perhaps you should specify what parts I have not responded to instead of simply saying that I am unable to understand you because quite frankly I cannot help but think you're the one who is having trouble understanding.

All of the evidence is already in this thread. You're always going on (here and in other threads) about how awful the forum has gotten and how it has been taken over by trolls, yet, in my opinion, participate in trollish behavior yourself.

I don't really know why you would even post on a forum you seem to dislike so much.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2008, 05:59:02 AM »

You call this a zinger? Well...thank you I guess, but not even a person's mother would put it on that level, I think. Tongue

I was more thinking of stuff like going "you'e confusing me with Spade" instead of actually responding to what I said. I find that a bit frustrating. I also said I used to be nice to people to which you've responded "I must have missed that", (haha, irony). You weren't on the forum when I first joined so you obviously wouldn't know much about it, would you? Also, I've never said that I dislike the forum that much. I also don't think it's taken over by trolls. I can't recall whether I've said it, but if I did I didn't mean it literally. Most of the moderators and most of the posters are nice, good people. There are however more trolls than at the outstart and they take an unproportional amount of space and attention. I've lamented this fact, but I've also noted that things have improved considerably in recent times. My "trollish" behaviour is my exact response to the appearance of trollish or impolite posters, so I don't consider it to be hypocritical.

Now, for the parts you've ignored, there are a number of things. You're accusing me of calling something moronic. I've explained why I considered it worthy of that epithet but you've never responded to that. You also have not argued why I'm a "retard". Moreover, if you look at everything that has been said between us on the thread the worse thing I've said so far is still "moron". Beyond that I have questioned your moral integrity and your reasonableness but I've done so in polite terms. You on the other hand have heaped insults on me. When I pointed this out, you responded with "feel the wrath of Gustaf". Yeah, that was funny. But, again, not much of a response. You also seemed to think that anything directed at a non-poster should not be a ground for judging that person or something like that (you said that McCain probably wasn't hurt by Jfern's comment). I asked you to clarify this, but you didn't. I suspect that you were once again simply throwing something out there in order to look cool or something but without actually being able to back it up.

I've explained what principle I'm applying and stated that I try to follow it best I can. I'm ready to acknowledge that I've not always stood by it. If one really believes, like several posters on here, including moderators, seem to do, that BRTD is really dumb, then I've broken my principle vis-a-vis him, for instance. I don't think he is though. I've also perhaps poked a little too much fun at Naso in my day. But few people can seriously claim never to have done that. I'm not perfect and I never claimed that, but unless you can show that my principle in itself is hypocritical or argue convincingly that I don't follow it at all you have no grounds for calling me a hypocrite.

You, on the other hand, have never in action shown much respect for others so forgive me if I'm still dubious towards your concerns for the forum. I guess that when you said "I'm mostly just pointing out what a hypocrite you are" you admitted that you don't genuinely believe in some of the things you said but was merely trying to make me look bad. 
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2008, 09:44:51 AM »

Guys, stop it, you're squabbling over nothing.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2008, 07:35:46 PM »
« Edited: January 24, 2008, 07:38:43 PM by bgwah »

I was more thinking of stuff like going "you'e confusing me with Spade" instead of actually responding to what I said.

Now I'll admit I've been on this forum for years and have made thousands of posts and that no, I do not remember every single one, but I don't think I call people fags very often, so I'm not sure what you were even talking about to begin with.

I've been here for over four years. How long have you been here? 4.5? I didn't think you were talking about the good old troll-free days as being the first few months you were a member? And even then I lurked for months before joining, so you don't know much about when I first came to this website, do you?

Well then I'll have to disagree. Lamenting trolls and participating in trollish behavior yourself makes you a hypocrite in my book. And how did Jfern and the others deserve your insult, for example? They had a different political opinion? Sorry, but I don't consider that trolling or impolite. You and you alone started the trolling in this thread.

I'm not accusing you of calling something or someone a moron--that is an undeniable fact. I am accusing you of hypocrisy. I'm accusing you of whining about a problem and then proceeding to make that problem worse. And I already told you why I called you a retard.

People have been saying trash about politicians on this forum for years. I think there is a clear difference between directly calling someone here a moron and calling a presidential candidate a damn hypocrite.

I have already made my argument (numerous times now) as to why your "principle" is flawed, including in this very post.

I do honestly think you cause more trouble and anger here these days than I do. And no, obviously I have not been the ideal forumer during my tenure here. But I also don't pretend to be some morally flawless perfect poster like you do.

And one of my original points---you're a moderator, Gustaf. I don't care how you became one. If the moderators on this website can get away with poor behavior (people who you would think would be model forumers), then you can expect many forumers to behave accordingly. Quit acting like this place has gone downhill when you're part of this supposed problem.

Guys, stop it, you're squabbling over nothing.

Yeah, probably...
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies