I start my British Government and Politics class tomorrow
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:25:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  I start my British Government and Politics class tomorrow
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: I start my British Government and Politics class tomorrow  (Read 2529 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 21, 2008, 03:13:38 PM »

I'm extremely excited. I've had this professor (a Brit himself) for a previous foreign governments class and absolutely loved the guy. It should be a hell of a class.

My point here is to gather whatever information I don't already have before I start the class. Not to sound like a snob but I will be going into the class knowing a bit more than most but I haven't been on top of things lately. Anything worth knowing?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 03:20:26 PM »

Sounds like an interesting class.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 03:32:28 PM »

"Anything worth knowing"? About Britain?

No.

Seriously, man. Ask a specific question and we can answer it.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 03:34:26 PM »

Here's my contribution:

1. 'Britain' is synonymous with 'England'.
2. There are only three parties in the British House of Representatives: Labor, Conservative and Yellow.
3. The British Senate has 1200 members, and all are appointed by the Queen.
4. The three most important issues in Britain today are European integration, immigration, and David Cameron.
5. Britain's closest ally is the US, and as a result they love and respect us as much as we do them.
6. The Queen has been re-elected every five years since 1952.
7. Every British citizen votes in every election.
8. The British media is renowned for its impartiality and focus on the issues that matter most.
9. The last five Prime Ministers are (in reverse order): Gordon Brown (2007- ), Tony Blair (9/11/2001 - 2007), Margaret Thatcher (the seventies - 2001), Paul McCartney (?), Winston Churchill (WW2).
10. The Shadow Chancellor of the Exchequer is probably the coolest title in the world.

I believe Al, Afleitch and Dave Hawk will verify all of this.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 03:36:02 PM »

Yes, class is rather important in British Government and Politics.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 03:42:41 PM »

10. The Shadow Chancellor of the Exchequer is probably the coolest title in the world.
What about the Lord Privy Seal? Is he shadowed?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 03:51:50 PM »

Here's my contribution:

1. 'Britain' is synonymous with 'England'.
2. There are only three parties in the British House of Representatives: Labor, Conservative and Yellow.
3. The British Senate has 1200 members, and all are appointed by the Queen.
4. The three most important issues in Britain today are European integration, immigration, and David Cameron.
5. Britain's closest ally is the US, and as a result they love and respect us as much as we do them.
6. The Queen has been re-elected every five years since 1952.
7. Every British citizen votes in every election.
8. The British media is renowned for its impartiality and focus on the issues that matter most.
9. The last five Prime Ministers are (in reverse order): Gordon Brown (2007- ), Tony Blair (9/11/2001 - 2007), Margaret Thatcher (the seventies - 2001), Paul McCartney (?), Winston Churchill (WW2).

I believe Al, Afleitch and Dave Hawk will verify all of this.

Tongue  Ok, smart asses, you know what I meant. What major current events should I pay special attention to.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 03:57:53 PM »

Tongue  Ok, smart asses, you know what I meant. What major current events should I pay special attention to.

If you're looking at the system of government and politics in Britain, then, basically, you shouldn't (except as examples).
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 03:59:35 PM »

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008, 04:03:21 PM »

If you're looking at the system of government and politics in Britain, then, basically, you shouldn't (except as examples).

I'm not exactly sure if he plans to work current events into the study of the process. If this is purely the system of government and politics then I don't think I'll have much, if any, trouble getting an A in this one.

Ok. What are the top three domestic issues before Parliament right now. I was listening to PMQs from Wednesday and there was something about the Northern Rock (which apparently ties into the mortgage situation here in the U.S.). Is that a major issue now?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2008, 04:07:12 PM »

I'm not exactly sure if he plans to work current events into the study of the process. If this is purely the system of government and politics then I don't think I'll have much, if any, trouble getting an A in this one.

Ok. What are the top three domestic issues before Parliament right now. I was listening to PMQs from Wednesday and there was something about the Northern Rock (which apparently ties into the mortgage situation here in the U.S.). Is that a major issue now?
Yes, it is. Although I don't know much about it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_depth/business/2008/northern_rock/default.stm
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2008, 04:10:07 PM »

Ok. What are the top three domestic issues before Parliament right now.

What do you mean by "before Parliament"?

A 20 day debate on the recent E.U Treaty is currently ongoing and there will be a vote on it at the end. I think another vote is due this week on the whole hackneyed issue of anti-terrorism laws. Northern Rock is important, but I think there will only be legislation on it if no private-sector buyer can be found (though I could be wrong there as I've not been following that one much).
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2008, 04:11:06 PM »

Basically, Northern Rock is a major mortgage holder in the north of England. They were going belly-up from subprime loans (sound familiar?) and now the government is bailing them out; there's also talk of nationalizing the company.

That's about all I know about it, but I think aside from economic technicalities, that's all there is to know.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2008, 04:17:38 PM »

It's a good time to study British poltiics and the political process (indeed anytime is) Watching Prime Ministers Questions is a good way of getting to grips with the issues of the day, filtered through the Westminster lens. Though be careful, sometimes those issues have no resonance with the public outwith the 'Westminster Village' as they call it. It's also a good way to see how mundane but important local political issues are highlighted in the Commons.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2008, 04:41:07 PM »

Ok. What are the top three domestic issues before Parliament right now.

What do you mean by "before Parliament"?

What are they currently dealing with. What's "on their plate."

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Thank you. That pretty much answers my question of "what issues are before Parliament."  Smiley

It's also a good way to see how mundane but important local political issues are highlighted in the Commons.

Haha, I hear you on that one. I've been watching PMQs for years now and I have always had appreciation for the PM when they have to give a statement on something very specific in one constituency.

Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2008, 04:43:23 PM »

No, but the Leader of the House of Commons (essentially the same thing) is. The Shadow Leader of the House of Commons is Theresa May.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2008, 07:51:17 PM »

No, but the Leader of the House of Commons (essentially the same thing) is. The Shadow Leader of the House of Commons is Theresa May.

Doesn't quite have the ring of the Shadow Privy Seal.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2008, 10:35:35 PM »

Doesn't quite have the ring of the Shadow Privy Seal.

Unfortunately not. When I heard Privy Seal, I thought it was something to fill a bathtub.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2008, 02:17:56 AM »

Another important issue in Britain today:

"The West Lothian Question"      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Lothian_Question

Question I'd ask in your class if I was in it:

What is the American equivalent of the Home Secretary?
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2008, 04:09:21 AM »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/default.stm

Set homepage to A+
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2008, 09:47:04 AM »

"The West Lothian Question"      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Lothian_Question

Secretary of Homeland Security, I'd figure.

And the WLQ is hardly as salient an issue as some (very loud) politicians would like the people to think.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2008, 10:19:17 AM »

And the WLQ is hardly as salient an issue as some (very loud) politicians would like the people to think.

True, but when you live in a country like Scotland that is often on the receiving end of the hostile press regarding this (as well as the accusations we are somehow the land of milk and honey when it comes to funding Smiley ) then the issue takes on a new dimension. In Scotland, I've yet to see support of the status quo from anyone in politics or the press other than a Labour politician. They make it out to be a difficult constitutional issue when infact it's now little more than a party political issue. Labour is leading the charge to get more powers devolved in Scotland to counter the SNP's push for independence, surely they could address the West Lothian Question within that context.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2008, 11:27:22 AM »

As expected, it is going to be a mix of studying the system, a little bit of history, elections and some modern day issues. Basically, it's going to be an amazing class.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2008, 05:08:01 AM »

My guess was State Governors. I thought the Home Secretary was in charge of the day-to-day local government issues rather than being concerned with crime and terrorism.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2008, 07:34:36 AM »

Home Secretary does all the jobs no one else wants to do. Getting that job is close to getting a political death sentance.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies