OK, now no question, I'd vote for Hillary in the general, no reservations
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 13, 2024, 08:48:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  OK, now no question, I'd vote for Hillary in the general, no reservations
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Author Topic: OK, now no question, I'd vote for Hillary in the general, no reservations  (Read 6551 times)
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2008, 01:01:48 AM »

At least I can trust Hillary's judicial nominations a lot more than McCain's, that's for sure.
Hillary will probably attempt to appoint one of her hick brothers to the SCOTUS. Tongue
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2008, 01:02:35 AM »

At least I can trust Hillary's judicial nominations a lot more than McCain's, that's for sure.
Hillary will probably attempt to appoint one of her hick brothers to the SCOTUS. Tongue

Eh, she won't appoint a conservative. Judicial nominations were probably the best thing Bill Clinton did.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2008, 01:03:45 AM »

Eh, she won't appoint a conservative. Judicial nominations were probably the best thing Bill Clinton did.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahah

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAH

Not that Clinton's nominees weren't sufficiently liberal or qualified or such, but you have no idea how badly Clinton screwed up during the process.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2008, 01:04:04 AM »

Reagan was the right man for the times and so was W.  For example, Reagan really precipitated the fall of the Soviet communism and precipitated the end of the Cold War (though it was H.W. who ended both). 

then you know absolutely nothing about the history of the Soviet Union from Brezhnev on and how thoroughly raped they were post-1975, maybe earlier...

as for the rest of your post, thank your God that I just don't care
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2008, 01:05:13 AM »

Ahahahahahahahahahahahah

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAH

Not that Clinton's nominees weren't sufficiently liberal or qualified or such, but you have no idea how badly Clinton screwed up during the process.

They were not liberal. However, they were not conservative, either. Of course that didn't stop the Republicans from blocking a lot of them, anyways.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2008, 01:09:23 AM »

Ahahahahahahahahahahahah

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAH

I'm just referring to the fact he got liberals on the judiciary and SCOTUS. Not as good as he could do, but he did it.

He only had a Democratic Senate for 2 years though. See what jfern said. It's tough to see how the GOP retakes the Senate in 2010 considering the 2008 outlook, so any president has a Democratic Senate for at least a full term.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2008, 01:10:44 AM »

stop enslaving yourself to Roe vs Wade and see the big picture...  it's a silly argument...  keep having more and more corporatism shoved down your throat so you can protect a "right to choose," that the Republican party never would get rid of anyway because of the backlash that would ensue
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2008, 01:11:29 AM »

Sorry, sounds like Ralph Nader bullsh!t, and I'll never listen to anything of that type ever again after 2000. Ever.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2008, 01:11:51 AM »

Ahahahahahahahahahahahah

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAH

They were not liberal. However, they were not conservative, either. Of course that didn't stop the Republicans from blocking a lot of them, anyways.

As has been the general trend since 1994 when either party has enough votes to filabuster...though the GOP started that nasty game first.

But at least at the top Ginsberg and Breyer have been sufficiently liberal...maybe not raging liberal (especially Breyer) to the degree that Alito, Thomas, or Scalia are...

...but liberal enough and probably much more liberal compared to those they were replacing...

As for the lower courts...probably much more moderate...then again, Bill Clinton was the best Republican president we've had for a while.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2008, 01:12:42 AM »
« Edited: January 21, 2008, 01:16:20 AM by © Nihilists for Mitt Romney »

Sorry, sounds like Ralph Nader bullsh!t, and I'll never listen to anything of that type ever again after 2000. Ever.

nice to see you have an open mind.  you only have 50 years left to live, after all...  there's every chance you can get through it all without doing any thinking on your own.  keep up the good work bro
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2008, 01:12:51 AM »

stop enslaving yourself to Roe vs Wade and see the big picture...  it's a silly argument...  keep having more and more corporatism shoved down your throat so you can protect a "right to choose," that the Republican party never would get rid of anyway because of the backlash that would ensue

Not to mention, it would probably eliminate the biggest wedge issue the GOP has socially.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2008, 01:14:27 AM »

Not to mention, it would probably eliminate the biggest wedge issue the GOP has socially.

included in the "backlash"
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2008, 01:16:33 AM »

Why judicial nominations matter: The Clean Air and Water Acts could be weakened. The Endangered Species Act could be overturned. Gun control laws could be overturned. Workplace protections of women and minorities will be further weakened.  Much of the precedent from the Warren Court is at stake. SCOTUS does matter.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #63 on: January 21, 2008, 01:20:03 AM »

Why judicial nominations matter: The Clean Air and Water Acts could be weakened. The Endangered Species Act could be overturned. Gun control laws could be overturned. Workplace protections of women and minorities will be further weakened.  Much of the precedent from the Warren Court is at stake. SCOTUS does matter.

yawn...  just deckchairs on the Titanic to use a cliche.  it's not about the little issues like "weakening" some Act, or if "gun control" (what a joke) is overturned.  it's not about that.  and nobody understands, except for an enlightened few.  enjoy your Nixon and your Mondale and your Christ and your Clinton and your McCain and your God and all of that sh**t, but one day, you'll wish you didn't...
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P

« Reply #64 on: January 21, 2008, 01:20:42 AM »

barring a massive change in worldview on my own part, I can't envision supporting the Democratic nominee in November.  Clinton or otherwise.  although she more obviously represents the worst of the political system than does Obama...

look BRTD...  McCain's a dick.  not a difficult conclusion.  he's an opportunistic egomaniac, but they all are...  I challenge you to find the sliver of policy difference as president between McCain and Clinton.  one wants to be in Iraq for 50 years, the other for 100...  one wants to raise the SS earnings cap, one doesn't...  both want to run the healthcare industry through corporate thugs (except Hillary's probably more corporatist and fascistic about it, reading their platforms, not that it matters)...

stop choosing between evils.  the day you do that is the day you will be free.  if we had done this in 1968, maybe it would have mattered.  it'd be a late start, I know.  but I really hope every goddamn Obama voter, and every black, sits on his ass on November fourth and lets McCain win 42 states...  that's the only way to teach the Democratic Party to care about US...

or maybe I'm a dreamer...  keep embracing your hacks...

We've been trying that for 40 years.... Look at us now. We will be in a REAL dystopia long before your strategy bears fruit.

No kidding. Letting Reagan and W both win was really good for us in the long run, right?

Well maybe W was politically, although that will probably only be fleeting at best if we can't come up with a true positive agenda.

how different would our lives be with Presidents Mondale and Kerry and Gore?

DISCLAIMER:  I do invoke my belief in God in this post, though very respectfully.  If you are offended by my faith, then don't read it and move on to the next post.

Personally, I'm glad Mondale and Gore lost.  

Reagan was the right man for the times and so was W.  For example, Reagan really precipitated the fall of the Soviet communism and precipitated the end of the Cold War (though it was H.W. who ended both).  

Bush 43, in my opinion, handled 9/11 superbly.  That was his best moment of the past 7 years.  That's exactly why I supported Afghanistan, and partly why I supported Iraq in the beginning.  

I thought Kerry was the best man for the job in 2004, which is why I voted for him, because Iraq was already starting to go downhill fast and only recently has started to ease up in the past 3 or 4 months.

I believe that everything happens for a reason and that there is no such thing as chance or luck in this world as I believe God is in control of every single minute detail of this world's happenings, so I believe Reagan was meant to win big twice.  I believe Bush was meant to win that contested election in 2000 and he was meant to be re-elected in 2004.  Obviously, I was wrong about Kerry, as Bush was God's appointed leader for this country.

I know for a fact, and am at peace, that God has the right man (or woman) for the job in 2008.  I vote because its my civil duty.

Interesting that you don't believe in free will, but I probably oughta leave that for another thread.

I can't see what Bush did after 9/11 that was so much better than what Gore would've done. It's not like Gore couldn't have made good patriotic speeches to make people feel warm and fuzzy, also. I could've done that just as well.

And Tweed is of course right about the history of Soviet collapse. If telling Mr. Gorbachev to tear down this wall is all it took, well, I think we would've accomplished the goal just a trifle sooner.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #65 on: January 21, 2008, 01:20:57 AM »

Judicial nominations effect the entire spectrum of issues, including corporate issues. People who focus only on Roe v. Wade don't recognize that the courts are basically an entirely separate branch of government, who do the governing in an entire area of law that effects almost all government policies. And after the past 28 years, they are already dominated by Republicans. Another 4-8 years will only make that far worse.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #66 on: January 21, 2008, 01:22:36 AM »

free will is infinite responsibility...  we all know BushClintonOklahoma and his ilk could never ever handle that!   (and doesn't it prove my point, in a weird way, that he's changed his username from BushOklahoma to ClintonOklahoma without any major persona swing?)
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #67 on: January 21, 2008, 01:23:12 AM »

Judicial nominations effect the entire spectrum of issues, including corporate issues. People who focus only on Roe v. Wade don't recognize that the courts are basically an entirely separate branch of government, who do the governing in an entire area of law that effects almost all government policies. And after the past 28 years, they are already dominated by Republicans. Another 4-8 years will only make that far worse.

Court's been dominated by Republicans for a very long time...the only problem is, future Republicans (if both the Senate and executive are GOP controlled) may be more of the Constitution in Exile/Federlist Society types rather than the moderate mold that produced O'Connor, Kennedy and Souter (by accident)...Stevens is a whole different bird entirely...but always remember he occupies William O Douglas' seat.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #68 on: January 21, 2008, 01:23:58 AM »

I know I can't have it both ways, most likely, but I wish I could have a Democratic president who does not appoint liberal judges.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #69 on: January 21, 2008, 01:24:34 AM »

yawn...  just deckchairs on the Titanic to use a cliche.  it's not about the little issues like "weakening" some Act, or if "gun control" (what a joke) is overturned.  it's not about that.  and nobody understands, except for an enlightened few.  enjoy your Nixon and your Mondale and your Christ and your Clinton and your McCain and your God and all of that sh**t, but one day, you'll wish you didn't...

Ok, well, please tell us who would make a difference as President, then. I do truly feel Obama can move us into a new era in politics unlike anyone else we've ever seen; is that what you are getting at as well? Or is there something else I'm missing.

I don't like being half-hearted in my support of candidates anymore than the next guy, but the Clintons are still a hell of a lot better than any Republicans we've had. It does matter who wins, maybe not as much as it should, I'll agree with you there, and I'm sick of supporting candidates out of fear as much as anyone else. But I'm not just going to drop out of the process if my guy doesn't win, out of some sense of teaching a lesson. My conscience dictates I must still choose the best possible candidate among those available.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #70 on: January 21, 2008, 01:24:52 AM »

free will is infinite responsibility...  we all know BushClintonOklahoma and his ilk could never ever handle that!   (and doesn't it prove my point, in a weird way, that he's changed his username from BushOklahoma to ClintonOklahoma without any major persona swing?)

Why are you all of the sudden attacking me?  I'm baffled.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #71 on: January 21, 2008, 01:25:34 AM »

McCain is a disgusting murderous THUG. He's endorsed by the king of such people, Joe Lieberman. Simply being supported by this disgusting piece of human sh!t alone is enough. At this point, my burning hatred of McCain has reached greater than Bush, and possibly greater than anyone except Ralph Nader. I'd vote for Norm Coleman over McCain. I'd vote for Michele Bachmann over McCain. I'd vote for TOM COBURN over McCain.

F**K MCCAIN.

I say this with all sincerity. You are a complete mental case. Full blown, kid.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #72 on: January 21, 2008, 01:26:29 AM »
« Edited: January 21, 2008, 01:29:23 AM by Nym90 »

Very true. It does affect economics and also civil liberties issues a lot. Roe v. Wade is maybe the most overrated Supreme Court decision ever in its true impact.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #73 on: January 21, 2008, 01:29:04 AM »

Why are you all of the sudden attacking me?  I'm baffled.

Well if God controls every single minute detail of the universe, I guess that would make the answer to your question (and every other single question in the history of the world that starts with why) pretty obvious.

My answer would be he's in a bit of a bad mood today, but we are all entitled to that from time to time. Although I don't agree with you on many issues you are still a good guy and I am glad to have you in our party.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #74 on: January 21, 2008, 01:29:20 AM »

Very true. It does affect economics and also civil liberties issues a lot. Roe v. Wade is maybe the most overratted Supreme Court decision ever in its true impact.

The fact that most people don't even realize that Roe v. Wade has largely been supplanted by other case law is most telling.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies