Osama bin Laden's Son an Apostle for Peace
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:50:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Osama bin Laden's Son an Apostle for Peace
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Osama bin Laden's Son an Apostle for Peace  (Read 6196 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 18, 2008, 07:49:50 AM »

I wonder what his father thinks of him.....  Tongue
------------------------------------------------------------------

Bin Laden's son is apostle of peace

By PAUL SCHEMM
The Associated Press

CAIRO, Egypt — Omar Osama bin Laden bears a striking resemblance to his notorious father — except for the dreadlocks that dangle halfway down his back. Then there's the black leather biker jacket.

The 26-year-old does not renounce his father, al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden, but in an interview with The Associated Press, he said there is a better way to defend Islam than militancy: Omar wants to be an "ambassador for peace" between Muslims and the West.

Omar — one of bin Laden's 19 children — raised a tabloid storm last year when he married a 52-year-old British woman, Jane Felix-Browne, who took the name Zaina Alsabah. Now the couple say they want to be advocates, planning a 3,000-mile horse race across North Africa to draw attention to the cause of peace.

"It's about changing the ideas of the Western mind. A lot of people think Arabs — especially the bin Ladens, especially the sons of Osama — are all terrorists. This is not the truth," Omar said last week at a cafe in a Cairo shopping mall.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 07:58:32 AM »

They talked about him on France2, apparently he wants to get into the UK- he's asking for a visa.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 12:35:56 PM »

Good for him. The anti-Islamic sentiment in the West today is revolting.
opebo
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 12:47:01 PM »

They talked about him on France2, apparently he wants to get into the UK- he's asking for a visa.

Hard to believe he'd have any trouble getting one - all these Bin Laden's are billionaires.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 12:51:52 PM »

More power to him.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 12:56:39 PM »

Good for him. The anti-Western sentiment in Islam today is revolting.

There... fix it for you.

Seriously though, good for him.  Kinda thought I was looking at a picture of Bob Marley at first.  ha
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 12:58:15 PM »

There... fix it for you.

Seriously though, good for him.  Kinda thought I was looking at a picture of Bob Marley at first.  ha

Both of these seem true.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 12:59:26 PM »

Any family reunions coming up, Omar? I know a few people that might want to stop by.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2008, 01:01:16 PM »

There... fix it for you.

Both of these seem true.

I agree, but let's not forget why the anti-Islamic sentiment in the West is so much higher now than it was 10 years ago.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2008, 01:10:21 PM »

There... fix it for you.

Both of these seem true.

I agree, but let's not forget why the anti-Islamic sentiment in the West is so much higher now than it was 10 years ago.

Indeed...it is higher, but its not like it was low to begin with, I feel like it was pretty high to start with, but now its higher given some legitimate reason.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2008, 01:37:32 PM »

There... fix it for you.

Both of these seem true.

Indeed...it is higher, but its not like it was low to begin with, I feel like it was pretty high to start with, but now its higher given some legitimate reason.

They're both true, but who has the means, the West or some punks with hand grenades? Let's not forget that t*****ism isn't state-sponsored; though the Arab countries dislike Israel, most of them are more than happy to be friends with America.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2008, 01:48:01 PM »

Lets not forget that just 10 years ago the United States went to war (as poorly as that war was carried out) to protect a Muslim ethnic minority from a Christian ethnic majority.  Also, not too many people in Europe were complaining about Muslim immigrants 10 years ago.

They're both true, but who has the means, the West or some punks with hand grenades? Let's not forget that t*****ism isn't state-sponsored; though the Arab countries dislike Israel, most of them are more than happy to be friends with America.

Even with the means, it is hard to bring someone to the table if they aren't willing to cooperate.  We can be the "bigger man", but that only goes so far if the other side won't accept any invitation to work the problems out.

The fact that they won't accept Israel is no small stubbling stone.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2008, 01:54:05 PM »

Even with the means, it is hard to bring someone to the table if they aren't willing to cooperate.  We can be the "bigger man", but that only goes so far if the other side won't accept any invitation to work the problems out.

The fact that they won't accept Israel is no small stubbling stone.

I'm sure they'd accept it, if Tel Aviv wasn't constantly encroaching on the Arabs' rights. Have you heard about the big wall they're building? It was in National Geographic a few months ago. Have you heard about the way they keep pushing it farther and farther past the Green Line? Do you remember the territory they stole in 1967? Other countries have disavowed conquest of territories; Israel hasn't. You can make geopolitical excuses about it until the cows come home, but the fact is that Israel is by no means blameless.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2008, 02:04:43 PM »

I'm sure they'd accept it, if Tel Aviv wasn't constantly encroaching on the Arabs' rights. Have you heard about the big wall they're building? It was in National Geographic a few months ago.

To keep the terrorist out.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Individuals, not the government.  You act like the Jews are some kinda infectious disease that is spreading.  Maybe if Muslims were more willing to live next to Jews in the first place then we wouldn't have had these problems.

After they were attacked, you mean.

The Arab Allies were trying to destory Israel in 1949 and 1967.  That's not a territorial conquest?  Israel was even kind enough to give the Sinai back to Egypt which is far more generous than I would have been.

Israel has been agressive, they have had to be to survive, but they have never been the agressor, and the difference between those two things is night and day.

Are you at all familiar with the Arabs long history of cooperation with the Nazis?  Maybe we should discuss that for a while.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2008, 02:21:40 PM »

I'm sure they'd accept it, if Tel Aviv wasn't constantly encroaching on the Arabs' rights. Have you heard about the big wall they're building? It was in National Geographic a few months ago.

To keep the terrorist out.

The t********s (no, I don't even use the word) are not monolithic, and saying you should build a big wall and deprive them of their livelihood to keep a few "t********s" out is akin to the Japanese internment.

Individuals, not the government.  You act like the Jews are some kinda infectious disease that is spreading.  Maybe if Muslims were more willing to live next to Jews in the first place then we wouldn't have had these problems.[/quote]

As you can see, the wall is well beyond the Green Line. It's not just individuals. And it's not like Jews are willing to live with Muslims, either.

After they were attacked, you mean.[/quote]

They still took the territory. Kuwait was attacked. Did it get any bigger after 1991?

The Arab Allies were trying to destory Israel in 1949 and 1967.  That's not a territorial conquest?  Israel was even kind enough to give the Sinai back to Egypt which is far more generous than I would have been.[/quote]

I didn't say the Arabs are any better. However, Israel should have recieved compensation in the form of money, not territories. Since the lands taken were not inhabited by Jews, Israel's raison d'être, their incorporation into Israel is incompatible with the modern ideal of the nation-state.

Yes, let's. As my username shows, I am somewhat familiar with the Nazis.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2008, 04:46:54 PM »

Can we keep this on topic and not Israel was correct/wrong General Discussion please?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2008, 05:23:25 PM »

Can we keep this on topic and not Israel was correct/wrong General Discussion please?

I'll try.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2008, 05:27:15 PM »

First off, you are the one who brought up Israel to begin with, which just shows where your mind is at.  And I am getting to a response to your points.

Secondly, I won't try, because it is impossible to have a conversation about the Middle East without bringing up Israel.  Someone is going to do it eventually.

Thirdly, how long have you been here?  Does any discussion ever stay on topic?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2008, 05:34:57 PM »

Summary of how this happened:

I say it's good, because the West hates Islam. Supersoulty says it's the other way around. Bullmoose says both are true. Supersoulty says to remember why the West hates Islam. Bullmoose says it was high to start out with. I say that the "t*****ism" isn't state-sponsored, and make a passing reference to Israel. Supersoulty says it's impossible for Israel to negotiate. I give a list of wrongs committed by Israel, etc...
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2008, 05:57:43 PM »
« Edited: January 18, 2008, 06:03:29 PM by Supersoulty »

The t********s (no, I don't even use the word) are not monolithic, and saying you should build a big wall and deprive them of their livelihood to keep a few "t********s" out is akin to the Japanese internment.

The fact that you won't even call these people "terrorists" just goes to show how intellectually dishonest you are being.  First, you are trying to disavow the actions of these "few", but then you turn around and act as though what they are doing isn't that bad anyway.  You want to call them freedom fights.  Just admit it.

I'm Irish... there are Irish terrorist too, pal.  And I think my people were done a huge disservice by the English.  A terrorist is a terrorist, whether they praise Allah, or wear a green necktie and sing "Danny Boy".

I can hardly think any cause is worth strapping a bomb to yourself and blowing up a bus.  Or hiding a car bomb in a market place.  The people who are so pissed off about the Jews taking their land today were never alive during a time when things were any different.  Get over it!  Maybe if you did, then the Jews would feel the compulsion to keep the Palestinians where they can be watched.  If I went back and demanded some kinda compensation from Queen Elizabeth II would be laughed out of the room.  What makes you think the Arabs are worthy of any other reaction?

And last a checked, a very large number of Palestinians at least tacitly support the actions of the PLO And others, so don't even try to feed me that line.

The Jews were perfectly willing to live side by side with Palestinians, in 1947.  It was the Palestinians who were totally unwilling to negotiate.  Just as it has been the Palestinians who have backed away from the table every single time since.

As for the line, didn't the Arab attacks on Israel during the Six Day War kinda negate the line anyway?  Honestly, I couldn't care less, regardless.

For strategic purposes, they took territory, yes.  Let me assure you, if Kuwait had kicked Iraq's ass all by itself back in 1991, then they would have taken territory, too.  The fact that we did it for them is the reason they didn't.  Israel took territory because no one else is really willing to help defend them.  Kuwait doesn't have to worry about that, ergo your analogy sucks.

Monetary compensation wasn't coming.  The reason for taking much of the territory, as I expressed before, was strategic.  As for the nation-state... Israel wanted to negotiate a Palestinian state from day one, but the Palestinians turned both Israel, and the ever precious U.N. down.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2008, 06:00:09 PM »

Summary of how this happened:

I say it's good, because the West hates Islam. Supersoulty says it's the other way around. Bullmoose says both are true. Supersoulty says to remember why the West hates Islam. Bullmoose says it was high to start out with. I say that the "t*****ism" isn't state-sponsored, and make a passing reference to Israel. Supersoulty says it's impossible for Israel to negotiate. I give a list of wrongs committed by Israel, etc...

That account is about a biased as your unwillingness to call the terrorists what they are.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies