Does Al's intellectual elitism cause ignorance and strife?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:29:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Does Al's intellectual elitism cause ignorance and strife?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 38

Author Topic: Does Al's intellectual elitism cause ignorance and strife?  (Read 2699 times)
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 16, 2008, 01:07:28 AM »

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 01:14:10 AM »

No, but his ignorance and strife causes intellectual elitism.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 01:31:00 AM »

Maybe, but in all honesty, less so than your sig.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 01:46:25 AM »

the f**k you talkin' 'bout?
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 02:17:56 AM »

^^^^

Elitist is certainly not a word that comes to mind when I think of Al.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 02:22:18 AM »

^^^^

Elitist is certainly not a word that comes to mind when I think of Al.

Well, the guy is a snob. He responds to most things that I say here with an attitude and when you call him out on it, he responds with "Oh, how immature of you."
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 02:24:55 AM »

phknrocket, are you really a republican now? Why did you change parties, you used to be a Democrat. You've had a blue avatar for awhile now.

Al's "elitism" is one of the better things about this forum. Some of us come here to learn stuff.

Well, the guy is a snob. He responds to most things that I say here with an attitude and when you call him out on it, he responds with "Oh, how immature of you."

He's Welsh. They are more sophisticated than us. Our rough and tumble frontier ways baffle them.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 02:29:07 AM »

Lack of desire to have a serious debate on the internet is something I'd personally consider a sign of a strong intellect. Wink
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 02:44:15 AM »

Al's "elitism" is one of the better things about this forum. Some of us come here to learn stuff.

I love seeing what Al has to say. The guy is very smart. I'm baffled by how much he knows. However, I might throw in my knowledge on a certain issue concerning a foreign culture or something happening in Europe and he responds in such a nasty manner. For example, we were talking about whether or not the Dutch live a liberal lifestyle (by American standards) and after I contributed what I know about the Dutch, Al said that some of us who know nothing on the topic shouldn't comment. Well, contrary to what His Majesty believes, I actually have read up a bit on the Dutch. Now if he wanted to say I was mistaken or whatever, that's fine by me. But saying I know nothing? Or then there was another issue where he said I get satisfaction over people hating me. I responded, in jest, and he called me immature.

Bottom line - I think Al looks at me as some ignorant American who knows little, if anything, about foreign affairs especially that which pertains to Europe. And he also doesn't like my attitude which is fairly common here. One minute I'm being too stuck up or a hard ass and then the next I'm being too immature. One minute I'm being holier-than-thou and the next I'm told not to defend certain people who aren't necessarily the most beloved.

To be honest, once certain people dislike you here, there's no redeeming yourself. Many tell me that I need to get off my high horse while, at the same time, they're the ones looking down on me and others.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2008, 03:07:10 AM »

I have found Al's posts to be well informed, intelligent and quite reasonable.

He brings information and thoughtful comment to this forum.

Although I disagree with some of his policy positions, I respect him.

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2008, 03:09:30 AM »

He's Welsh. They are more sophisticated than us.

Haha, I don't believe I've ever heard anyone describe the Welsh as sophisticated!  I like Evelyn Waugh's take on them.  Mumbling gnomes with scone-material between their ears.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2008, 04:29:37 AM »

I love seeing what Al has to say. The guy is very smart. I'm baffled by how much he knows. However, I might throw in my knowledge on a certain issue concerning a foreign culture or something happening in Europe and he responds in such a nasty manner. For example, we were talking about whether or not the Dutch live a liberal lifestyle (by American standards) and after I contributed what I know about the Dutch, Al said that some of us who know nothing on the topic shouldn't comment. Well, contrary to what His Majesty believes, I actually have read up a bit on the Dutch. Now if he wanted to say I was mistaken or whatever, that's fine by me. But saying I know nothing? Or then there was another issue where he said I get satisfaction over people hating me. I responded, in jest, and he called me immature.

Bottom line - I think Al looks at me as some ignorant American who knows little, if anything, about foreign affairs especially that which pertains to Europe. And he also doesn't like my attitude which is fairly common here. One minute I'm being too stuck up or a hard ass and then the next I'm being too immature. One minute I'm being holier-than-thou and the next I'm told not to defend certain people who aren't necessarily the most beloved.

To be honest, once certain people dislike you here, there's no redeeming yourself. Many tell me that I need to get off my high horse while, at the same time, they're the ones looking down on me and others.

He's never been rude like that to me. He has told me that I'm completely flat out wrong (several times Tongue) Maybe he just assumes Americans know next to nothing about Europe. There's a difference between being an "elitist" (thinking you and your peers are better than others) and being very knowledgable. Sometimes I try to downplay my knowledge of history/politics/geography because I don't want to appear too strange to others. But I like to hear what others have to say, so no one should dismiss other's comments right off the bat.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2008, 04:43:01 AM »

Al can come across as a little patronising when discussing or disagreeing with an issue that he knows a great deal about but I don't consider it to be intentional, people have different posting styles. On the flip side he also prompts other posters or poses questions to them on issues he doesn't know so well but the other poster does. He admits gaps in his knowledge which isn't really a symptom of elitism. The only 'beef' I have with him in terms of attitude (and he knows this) isn't really forum related at all, but more to do with his utilisation of class as an indicator of political ability (or the ability to connect with the electorate), which can take on an unnecessary anti-intellectual and anti middle/upper class slant now and then. Smiley
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2008, 04:47:04 AM »

He's definitely a snob. If you ask him to elaborate (or prove him wrong) he usually just responds with some vague short sentence that answers nothing.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2008, 05:13:39 AM »

I'm many things, but an elitist I'm not. To clear one thing up;

However, I might throw in my knowledge on a certain issue concerning a foreign culture or something happening in Europe and he responds in such a nasty manner.

Do I?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Not so. This is what I wrote:

People should not confuse permissiveness with liberalism, especially when they obviously have no idea what the traditional structure of Dutch society looks like...

I've not elaborated much on that, or anything else in that thread, because I've got a lot of work to do at the moment and to elaborate properly would take more time than I've got to waste for the next few days. Sadly.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I don't actually.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2008, 06:35:02 AM »

Are you actually Welsh, Al? I know you go to Uni there.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2008, 09:03:55 AM »

I have no issues with Al's tone.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2008, 11:59:26 AM »

I wouldn't call Al elitist. On the contrary, he way over-romanticizes isolated populist crapholes.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2008, 01:24:32 PM »

Al's terse, but anyone bothered by being dismissed should get thicker skin.  Sure, I wish he'd be less vague sometimes too, but...eh.  He's a valuable member.  Even if I so don't get the West Virginia thing.

Al, if you want this locked, just say so.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2008, 01:49:56 PM »

He's my go-to person on a lot of stuff. Great guy, IMO.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2008, 01:50:51 PM »

I'm many things, but an elitist I'm not. To clear one thing up;

Not so. This is what I wrote:

People should not confuse permissiveness with liberalism, especially when they obviously have no idea what the traditional structure of Dutch society looks like...

Ok, so that's pretty much what I said you said.

Al, if you want this locked, just say so.

Why should this be locked? Is the same done to similar threads pointing out problems of other members?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2008, 02:51:10 PM »

Why should this be locked? Is the same done to similar threads pointing out problems of other members?

Yes, when the thread takes a negative for an axiom.  It's not exactly a fair-minded thread.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2008, 07:54:16 PM »

His act definitely gets annoying at times.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2008, 07:57:41 PM »

Who knows. He is smarter than nearly everyone else who posts here and knows more about the dynamics behind elections than basically everyone else who posts here.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2008, 08:08:33 PM »

I actually have not been bothered by Al's "tone."  OK, perhaps I'm an "intellectual elitist" as well; we all are at the corner of Broad and Erie.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies