Four years ago today...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:41:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Four years ago today...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Four years ago today...  (Read 1920 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 08, 2008, 03:07:34 PM »

Barack Obama was a State Senator running as an underdog for the Democratic nomination to the U.S. Senate.

Amazing. I don't like it but absolutely amazing.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 03:08:46 PM »

There's hope for America yet. He's even only barely a Millionaire!
Eleden
oaksmarts

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 03:09:18 PM »

Barack Obama was a State Senator running as an underdog for the Democratic nomination to the U.S. Senate.

Amazing. I don't like it but absolutely amazing.

There's a cliche for this type of thing:

Only in America?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 03:12:52 PM »

Funny that an Illinois billionaire beating his wife may be what denied Hillary Clinton the Presidency.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 03:13:54 PM »

Sure, but do consider that Obama is very ambitious- after all, as Hillary Clinton's campaign tried to remind us several weeks ago, Obama wrote an essay in kindergarden expressing his desire to someday become President.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 03:22:13 PM »

Funny that an Illinois billionaire beating his wife may be what denied Hillary Clinton the Presidency.

That's America for you.... almost brings a tear to my eye.  Wink
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2008, 03:24:41 PM »

Exactly.  That's what's scary: someone with absolutely no experience, with no knowledge of how foreign policy works, with no background whatsoever in leadership, who claims to be an "agent of change" but is unable to provide any proof that he has ever been such now actually stands a chance at becoming the leader of our nation during its most unstable and uncertain time in decades.  With an ongoing war, terrorism, facing enemies unlike any we've ever faced--people who want to kill us just because we're Americans--a crisis in health care, uncertainty about the economy, global warming....this guy with no prior history dealing in any of these matters might now suddenly be leading us through it all.

I know everyone else here (not to mention every single news outlet in the country) is blindly and for no reason obsessed with him, but I, for one, am pretty scared.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2008, 03:30:26 PM »

Exactly.  That's what's scary: someone with absolutely no experience

He has more years as an elected offical than Hillary Clinton, John Edwards, Mitt Romney, or Fred Thompson. Why does no one metnion that?

with no knowledge of how foreign policy works

That's a ridiculous claim. I think he is the strongest on foreign policy on either side. He would do more to repair America's image around the world and win peace more than any other candidate. He is also probably the most naturally intelligent candidate from either party.

I know everyone else here (not to mention every single news outlet in the country) is blindly and for no reason obsessed with him, but I, for one, am pretty scared.

The typical Bush voter is "scared" very easily, so I'm not surprised. What should really frighten you is another Bush-clone as president.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2008, 03:33:15 PM »

In my view, what the world really needs is for its citizens to get involved.  The average person isn't stupid; the average person simply tends to be woefully ill-informed due to apathy.  Give the average person all the information that he or she needs to make a good decision, and that person tends to do just that.  The problem is that most people tend to think that politicians are all the same, so why should they give a damn about anything?

Barack Obama has consistently shown himself to be by far the most inspirational politician that has been seen for a very long time, and has shown in Iowa and New Hampshire his amazing ability to get people involved in record numbers.  Beyond all of the other issues and whatnot, I think there's a lot more to be said for that than people give it credit for.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2008, 03:35:28 PM »

The Bush adminstration was one of the most "experienced" adminstrations in American history. Lots of good that did us!

Judgement and intelligence are so much more important than "experience".
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2008, 03:36:15 PM »

Exactly.  That's what's scary: someone with absolutely no experience, with no knowledge of how foreign policy works, with no background whatsoever in leadership, who claims to be an "agent of change" but is unable to provide any proof that he has ever been such now actually stands a chance at becoming the leader of our nation during its most unstable and uncertain time in decades.  With an ongoing war, terrorism, facing enemies unlike any we've ever faced--people who want to kill us just because we're Americans--a crisis in health care, uncertainty about the economy, global warming....this guy with no prior history dealing in any of these matters might now suddenly be leading us through it all.

I don't disagree with that at all (except for the fact that he does have experience on the state level).  However, does one actually need to have all that experience to be a good leader?  With the right set of advisors and work environment, you can be quite effective as a leader, since your job is to take available information (combined with guts) and make sound decisions.  I feel, however, this is why Governors, Generals, and Lawyers/Businessmen tend to win the Presidency over Congressmen and Senators, since they've had to make these decisions and follow through with them.  

Can Barack do it?  I'm sure he can.  Is he the "best qualified?"  No.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2008, 03:38:12 PM »

I'm glad I am not the only one who feels this way. People will tell you that what you said in nonsense and he is the best at yada yada yada, but I have yet to see an example of when he has crossed party lines to get things done or at least attempt to get things done. He is a great speaker and plays to people's emotions, which is a great plus for him, but scares the living s**t out of me.

I don't know a thing about his plans or policies, and neither do many of my friends that work for his campaign! That's how amazed I am at this fairy tale.

To Obama supporters: how do you know he's the best at foreign policy on both sides? You believe he knows more about foreign policy and has more experience than John McCain? A four term senator? Listen to how silly you sound! What track record does he have to suggest he can get things done and reach across the isle and work with a congress with Republicans and Democrats? The media has blown this whole thing out of proportion to where he's no longer a candidate, but a cult following.

Being a state senator is guess is experience, but it's nothing like running a state or being in the national congress.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2008, 03:44:43 PM »

To Obama supporters: how do you know he's the best at foreign policy on both sides?

I don't recall many people saying he was, but that's just me. As a whole I like him better than the other candidates that have a chance to win, but it doesn't mean he's perfect. I do think he'll do better on foreign policy than Bush has though, not that it should be difficult to do that.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2008, 03:45:16 PM »

To Obama supporters: how do you know he's the best at foreign policy on both sides?

1-He's not Joe Lieberman in a dress.
2-He's not a Republican.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2008, 03:47:17 PM »

Foreign leaders are looking forward to working with Obama because he has an international background and because he's so well-respected around the world. I have seen various reports where leaders and voters around the world are pulling for Obama.

McCain is too closely aligned with Bush to be effective on a world stage.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2008, 03:48:17 PM »

I don't disagree with that at all (except for the fact that he does have experience on the state level).  However, does one actually need to have all that experience to be a good leader?  With the right set of advisors and work environment, you can be quite effective as a leader, since your job is to take available information (combined with guts) and make sound decisions.  I feel, however, this is why Governors, Generals, and Lawyers/Businessmen tend to win the Presidency over Congressmen and Senators, since they've had to make these decisions and follow through with them.  

Can Barack do it?  I'm sure he can.  Is he the "best qualified?"  No.

Can he do it? Sure he can. Does a leader need experience? Well, I guess not. His performances in the debates have been lackluster at best, and the way he talks about what he'd do during a crisis is a bit upsetting. Leaders become better ones when they learn from experience. Do we want someone learning on the job during one of the most unstable periods in in US history? Will the extremists who want to kill us suddenly lay down their arms in response to the great Barack's message of hope? 
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2008, 03:51:23 PM »

Foreign leaders are looking forward to working with Obama because he has an international background and because he's so well-respected around the world. I have seen various reports where leaders and voters around the world are pulling for Obama.

McCain is too closely aligned with Bush to be effective on a world stage.

International background?  What would that be?  His mother raised him here in the US and he barely knew his father.  He went to college in the US and served in the Illinois state legislature.  2 years ago he became a US Senator largely based on 1 speech he gave at the DNC and the fact that his opponent was a pervert who tried to get his wife to go to sex clubs.  Yeah, I'm sure Vladimir Putin is thrilled.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2008, 03:53:36 PM »

International background?  What would that be?

His father was from Kenya and he still has lots of family there that he visits. He also lived in Indonesia for four years. His mixed race background will also help.

Whatever you want to dispute, foreign leaders view him as worldly (at least compared to the other candidates).
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2008, 04:00:41 PM »

International background?  What would that be?

His father was from Kenya and he still has lots of family there that he visits. He also lived in Indonesia for four years. His mixed race background will also help.

Whatever you want to dispute, foreign leaders view him as worldly (at least compared to the other candidates).

Scoonie, did you read his book?  He says in it that what he knew of his father came from photo's.  And yeah, from age 6-10 he lived in Indonesia.  And he's taken some vacations to Kenya.

Snap, my family is from all over Europe, I work with many international companies with frequent trips to Japan, Jamaica, and Germany, and in the Summer of 2006 I lived in Eastern Europe.  Do you think I could get a job as Secretary of State???
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2008, 04:06:22 PM »

Yes, one of my favorite books. I realize that a lot of it may be undeserved, but he is viewed by foreign leaders as a break from the Bush doctrine and a symbol of tolerance that would be a welcome change.  Say what you want, but he is the candidate that the rest of the world is rooting for in this election. Electing Barack Obama would be a huge step in restoring our image around the world and gaining cooperation from other foreign leaders.

Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2008, 04:08:58 PM »

Electing Barack Obama would be a huge step in restoring our image around the world and gaining cooperation from other foreign leaders.

Well, there's a good reason for Americans not to elect Obama. Tongue
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2008, 04:09:09 PM »

I totally agree on the experience thing. Any chance we can get another retarded 6 year Governor?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2008, 04:09:33 PM »

I'm sure the extremists are excited that America will soon wish to sit down with them to discuss how we can work out our problems and look at their plight with a tolerant eye! Maybe they will soften us up with a good string of attacks before we meet. That is what they are known to do, unless his message of hope even makes them with they were American.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2008, 04:11:42 PM »

I'm sure the extremists are excited that America will soon wish to sit down with them to discuss how we can work out our problems

Yeah.  Damn that Ronald Reagan for sitting down with the extremists who wanted to destroy America in the 80's.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2008, 04:12:42 PM »

I'm sure the extremists are excited that America will soon wish to sit down with them to discuss how we can work out our problems and look at their plight with a tolerant eye!

Of course, because the Bush doctrine has worked so well. It makes sense to elect another Bush-clone like McCain or Romney.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies