The Dean Machine to keep running after WI no matter what.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:29:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  The Dean Machine to keep running after WI no matter what.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Dean Machine to keep running after WI no matter what.  (Read 3089 times)
TheWildCard
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 09, 2004, 10:37:14 PM »
« edited: February 09, 2004, 10:38:34 PM by TheWildCard »

Drudge and Yahoo report.(read below or go here
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=615&u=/nm/20040209/pl_nm/campaign_dean_dc_26&printer=1 )

GREEN BAY, Wis. (Reuters) - Howard Dean (news - web sites) said on Monday even if he loses Wisconsin's Feb. 17 primary he will remain in the race for the 2004 Democratic presidential nomination.

"It's critical," Dean said when asked about the importance of the Wisconsin contest. But, he added, "It's not going to be the end of the line."

Asked if he would drop out if he lost Wisconsin as he said he would just last week, Dean said, "No." Asked if he fight on, he said, "Yup."

The former Vermont governor made the comments during interviews with local television stations -- just hours after he began an eight-day campaign blitz across the state during which he urged voters to keep "this debate alive" and rally behind someone who can unseat President Bush (news - web sites).

The one-time front-runner for the Democratic nomination later told reporters traveling with his campaign that people, particularly many of small donors, had convinced him to stay in the race regardless what happens in Wisconsin.

"I've just been convinced that we are not going to drop out. There are too many people who have come up to me and said, 'Whatever you do, don't drop out,"' he said.

Speaking at a hastily arranged news conference, Dean added, "We are going to do everything we can to win Wisconsin. It really is a make-or-break state for us in many ways."

He said he would remain in the contest as long as he believes he is a viable. Some big backers have said they would not see him as viable he lost the state.

Dean arrived in Wisconsin from Maine, where on Sunday he suffered his 12th defeat without a victory in state nominating contests.

VICTORY WOULD BRING MOMENTUM

He contends a victory in Wisconsin would reinvigorate his campaign, help generate fresh momentum and cash and prepare him for the presidential contests ahead, particularly in big states like Ohio, California and New York.

"I can't quit on all the people who are depending on me to raise the issues that we have raised," said Dean, who has waged an anti-war, anti-Washington campaign.

While polls show many Americans believe he should call it quits, and some backers have defected, Dean hopes to stage what would be a dramatic comeback in Wisconsin with an eight-day barnstorming campaign called "Real Choice, Real Change."

During appearances in Green Bay and Madison, which drew crowds of several hundred, Dean said, "The way to beat George W. Bush is with a candidate who already has stood up to him ... on issues that mattered -- like health care, investing in our children, the national debt and the Iraq (news - web sites) war."

"Democrats who watched the popularity polls and cut bad deals with the White House are not the right people to stand up to George Bush this fall," the former Vermont governor said.

Dean made the comments in taking a swipe at the party's new leader, Sen. John Kerry (news - web sites) of Massachusetts, and Sen. John Edwards (news - web sites) of North Carolina, another White House rival.

With $1.1 million in contributions raised in recent days, Dean planned to begin airing on Monday a biographical ad in Wisconsin that basically helps reintroduce him to voters.

The spot describes Dean as a former family doctor and Vermont governor who has taken on special interests on behalf of average Americans, and is now ready to take on Bush.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2004, 11:11:05 PM »

Dean  is crazy he has no chance. GIVE IT UP DEAN YOU ARE GOING TO LOSE. This is pathetic
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2004, 12:16:34 AM »

I agree, it is silly for him to still be in the race now, and especially if he loses Wisconsin. After he lost New Hampshire, it was all over for him realistically.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2004, 12:42:57 AM »

I think he must be staying in for some other motive than to win. Kind of like Sharpton and Kucinich.
TheWildCard
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2004, 01:29:24 AM »

If I didn't know the relationship between Kerry and Dean I'd he's continueing to try to gain enough momentum to be Kerry's VP, but the two from what I've heard really do not like each other.

I suppose somewhere in his mind he might think that Kerry is going to fall flat on his face which seems near impossible.

I don't know after his "I have a scream EEEEEYAAAHH" speech I think we can count on Dean not making too much sense.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2004, 04:20:21 AM »

Oh come on Dean is just coming across as pathetic and a sore loser… has become another Jerry Brown…how come so many liberal democrats are so attached to a moderate governor of Vermont and are so opposed to a liberal MA senator?... surly it would be better from their perspective to nominate a liberal who seemed like a moderate rather than am moderate who is seen as liberal?  

Edwards and Clark have a right to stay in at least until TN and VA have voted and even after that Edwards could be expected to remain in the race, as long as he comes in at least second in TN and VA...Dean has not won a single primary and by attacking Kerry from the left all he will do is strengthen Kerry’s efforts to be seen as a moderate… from my perspective Edwards is the only candidate who can have any justification for continuing to challenge Kerry from Kerry’s right… the only thing that I wish was different about these primaries was that we democrats could have more time to get a better look at Edwards as opposed to Kerry… but I don’t think we will… however it seems very likely that Kerry will have to take Edwards as his running mate… for the reason I outline in the VP thread…    
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2004, 04:58:49 AM »

You call that a machine?
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2004, 11:24:29 AM »

[sarcasm]
Well, all I know is that the Clintons must have some role in all of this. Remember, they completely control the Democratic party and are doing everything possible to set it up perfectly for Hillary in 2008. Kerry winning the nomination, Dean staying in the race, it's all part of some grand scheme.
[/sarcasm]

I haven't heard a good Clinton conspiracy theory in a while, come on, let's hear 'em!

In all seriousness though, the race will be basically over after Tennessee and Virginia today. If Edwards starts losing to Kerry in the South, what does he have left?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2004, 12:38:19 PM »

[sarcasm]
Well, all I know is that the Clintons must have some role in all of this. Remember, they completely control the Democratic party and are doing everything possible to set it up perfectly for Hillary in 2008. Kerry winning the nomination, Dean staying in the race, it's all part of some grand scheme.
[/sarcasm]

I haven't heard a good Clinton conspiracy theory in a while, come on, let's hear 'em!

In all seriousness though, the race will be basically over after Tennessee and Virginia today. If Edwards starts losing to Kerry in the South, what does he have left?

Nothing. The race is over when those states go for Kerry.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2004, 03:51:33 PM »

Drop out Governor Dean, before I lose all respect for you!
zachman

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2004, 04:55:34 PM »

I don't agree with Dean's statement today although he is gaining again. He does deserve to stay in the race longer than the others, because he is such a star in the party. The statement wasn't worth repealing, that will hurt him in Wisconsin.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2004, 11:07:41 PM »

It's time for Dean and everyone else to drop out and unite behind Kerry.
M

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2004, 11:11:51 PM »

Kerry doent want Dean to unite behind him. Kerry wants Dean to drive off a cliff. Or at least stay far away from his healthy, safe, normal, SANE candidacy, thank you very much.
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2004, 08:00:13 AM »

Kerry doent want Dean to unite behind him. Kerry wants Dean to drive off a cliff. Or at least stay far away from his healthy, safe, normal, SANE candidacy, thank you very much.

LOL.

Dean's campaign is turning into a joke; he was dead and buried after that kamikaze oratory in Iowa and if he has any sense he will drop out soon.

Of course there's still the tiny possibility of him running as a third party candidate, which would be the ultimate worst case scenario for Democrats.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2004, 08:16:24 AM »

Of course there's still the tiny possibility of him running as a third party candidate, which would be the ultimate worst case scenario for Democrats.
He wouln't do that, he knows his third-party candidacy would ensure Bush's re-election and kill his 2008 hopes.
Esteban Manuel
Rookie

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2004, 10:05:30 AM »

I relly don't know why Dean do that, but i know that the democratic campaign will be stronger as long as the primary is alive. The raison is simple: the media focus on them and the president just disappear from scene.

That happens all January, when the media focuss on primaries and that was important to make the presidential race competitive (it wast'n bafore that).

So, if Edwards and Dean are still in race and so the primaries is better form democrats cause since the primary ends the media will focus against the nominee.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies