MS-Greenberg, Quinlan, Rosner Research (D): Musgrove leads Wicker by 14
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 04:11:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 Senatorial Election Polls
  MS-Greenberg, Quinlan, Rosner Research (D): Musgrove leads Wicker by 14
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MS-Greenberg, Quinlan, Rosner Research (D): Musgrove leads Wicker by 14  (Read 1612 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 23, 2007, 03:03:48 AM »

JACKSON – Former Democratic Gov. Ronnie Musgrove has a double-digit lead over Republican U.S. Rep. Roger Wicker of Tupelo in a possible Senate race to replace Trent Lott, according to a poll conducted during the first week of December.

Musgrove, who served one term as governor before being defeated by Haley Barbour in 2003, leads Wicker 48-34 percent, according to a poll conducted by the national polling group Greenberg, Quinlan, Rosner Research. The group polls primarily for Democrats.

The Daily Journal has obtained parts of the poll.
The poll results differ greatly from those released earlier this week by the Daily Kos, a liberal blog. That poll, done by Research 2000, showed Wicker defeating Musgrove. But those pollsters admitted the Daily Kos sample did not include African-Americans at the percentage they usually vote in statewide elections.

The Greenberg poll sample included 33 percent black voters, which still was 1 percent less than in the latest general election.

Wicker and U.S. Rep. Chip Pickering are rumored possible appointees by Gov. Haley Barbour to the post left vacant by Lott. Treasurer Tate Reeves and Gulfport Mayor Brent Warr also have been mentioned as possible choices.

http://www.djournal.com/pages/story.asp?ID=262907&pub=1&div=News
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2007, 06:34:14 AM »

Okay, this poll is... kinda different than the other one.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2007, 01:38:57 PM »
« Edited: December 23, 2007, 02:01:01 PM by Harry, Creator of Worlds »

Okay, this poll is... kinda different than the other one.
the other one had only 9% black voters.  This one has the correct amount.  I don't know whether or not this poll is accurate, but at least it sampled the proper demographics.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2007, 04:55:18 PM »

Its an internal poll so we could assume that Musgrove did lead Wicker, but say half the 14% and call it a 7% lead?  That is still very encouraging for a Mississippi Democrat (no less a Governor who was defeated for re-election).  However, I would add the caveat that significantly more Mississippians are likely to have heard of Musgrove than Wicker and the poll may just reflect name identification.  I bet there are a lot of people who would consider voting Musgrove but in the polling booth will pull the Republican lever; especially in a state that is as racially polarized as Mississippi. 
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2007, 05:22:26 PM »

Its an internal poll so we could assume that Musgrove did lead Wicker, but say half the 14% and call it a 7% lead?  That is still very encouraging for a Mississippi Democrat (no less a Governor who was defeated for re-election).  However, I would add the caveat that significantly more Mississippians are likely to have heard of Musgrove than Wicker and the poll may just reflect name identification.  I bet there are a lot of people who would consider voting Musgrove but in the polling booth will pull the Republican lever; especially in a state that is as racially polarized as Mississippi. 

I think you may have it.  In ultra-early 2000, Bob Franks led Jon Corzine based solely on name recognition.  The lead didn't last.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2007, 01:45:49 AM »

Enjoy your pollgasm, Harry.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2007, 01:46:33 AM »

Oh I am, believe me.

Really, I'm just glad the state is getting polled at all.  Having a poll showing us ahead is gravy.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies