Nightmare act
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 02:26:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Nightmare act
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Nightmare act  (Read 1641 times)
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 21, 2007, 04:12:18 AM »

The son of a friend of mine is a Senior in High School and is interested in attending CalTech.

He has the grades and test scores to be admitted, but as an Arizona resident would have to pay out of state tuition.

Now, the proponents of the Dream Act have argued that illegal aliens who were brought to the country by the parents should not have to pay out of state tuition to attend taxpayer funded colleges since they should not be "punished" for their parents actions.

My friend's son finds it hard to understand why someone illegal present in this country (but residing in California) should avoid paying out of state tuition where he would.

I remember when the multiple Amnesty bills over the past couple of years would have provided that illegal aliens be treated better on federal income taxes than American citizens and legal immigrants.

So, should illegal aliens be treated better than American citizens and legal resident aliens?

Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 04:34:08 AM »

Good for the illegal aliens. I'm happy for them.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 04:44:07 AM »

Good for the illegal aliens. I'm happy for them.

So, are you contending that illegal aliens should be treated better by the government that citizens or legal aliens?

If so, please try to provide some rationale.

Oh, and BTW, the "Dream Act" was overwhelmingly defeated in the Senate a few weeks ago.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 10:16:37 AM »

So, are you contending that illegal aliens should be treated better by the government that citizens or legal aliens?

What are you even talking about? The Dream Act would in no way treat illegal residents better than citizens. Your example really doesn't even make sense; a resident of California is of course going to get a better deal at California schools than a resident of Arizona. The argument you present is completely and entirely irrelevant, since under the Dream Act all Arizona residents would pay the same for Arizona colleges and all California residents would pay the same to California colleges. That sort of difference will exist regardless and has nothing to do with the Dream Act.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 01:36:12 PM »

Dude, GET A NEW F**KING ISSUE.

Or at least post your rants on this single issue in the actual political boards.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2007, 01:52:32 PM »

Or at least post your rants on this single issue in the actual political boards.

You are pretty much the person with the least legitimacy to talk about harping on single issues.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2007, 03:31:39 PM »

If you have a problem with paying out of state tuition, then work on signing agreements with California.

Wisconsin and Minnesota students can attend public schools in both states for the in-state price through an agreement... though I admit both states are relatively the same size in population.

Also keep in mind CARLHAYDEN, that even illegals are contributing more taxes to the state of California, who decides who gets to pay in-state and out-of-state tuition, than your friend.

Sure, they might not pay income taxes, but they are paying property taxes and sales taxes.

So, what it comes down to:

Whom should California treat better?  The people working and paying (at least some) taxes in their state that have made that state their home, or some angry bigot over in Arizona?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2007, 04:21:17 PM »

You are pretty much the person with the least legitimacy to talk about harping on single issues.

What's my single issue?
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2007, 04:23:50 PM »

What's my single issue?
you don't have one single issue, so to speak. But there are 4 things that you don't shut up about. Suburbs, Nader, Strip Clubs, and Opebo.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2007, 04:27:18 PM »

What's my single issue?

It depends on the month.  It's December currently, so... Ron Paul?  I haven't been paying much attention, but I know for sure it isn't Ralph Nader since he was November.

Can anybody help me out; is January for strip clubs or opebo?
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2007, 05:45:34 PM »

Can anybody help me out; is January for strip clubs or opebo?

According to my 2008 BRTD Issue Calander, it should be suburbs, actually.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2007, 06:58:48 PM »

My friend's son finds it hard to understand why someone illegal present in this country (but residing in California) should avoid paying out of state tuition where he would.

See text I bolded.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2007, 07:15:50 PM »

The son of a friend of mine is a Senior in High School and is interested in attending CalTech.

He has the grades and test scores to be admitted, but as an Arizona resident would have to pay out of state tuition.

Cal Tech is private; there is no such thing as "out of state tuition".
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2007, 09:50:12 PM »

Cal Tech is private; there is no such thing as "out of state tuition".

Thank you.

My mistake as the young man is applying to both CalTech and UCLA (where out of state tuition does apply).

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies