NH-ARG: Sununu leads Shaheen by double-digits
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:28:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 Senatorial Election Polls
  NH-ARG: Sununu leads Shaheen by double-digits
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: NH-ARG: Sununu leads Shaheen by double-digits  (Read 10481 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 21, 2007, 12:51:30 AM »

Has ARG become crazy lately ? Roll Eyes

MANCHESTER – A new poll to be released today shows Republican Sen. John Sununu has taken over the lead in next year's U.S. Senate race against Democratic former Gov. Jeanne Shaheen.

The American Research Group polled 558 likely voters Dec. 16-19 and found Sununu with 52 percent, Shaheen with 41 percent and 7 percent undecided. Earlier ARG polls showed Shaheen leading Sununu, most recently by 46 to 41 percent in September.

ARG also polled a hypothetical governor's race pitting Republican Manchester Mayor Frank Guinta against Democratic Gov. John Lynch. The poll shows Lynch leading, 48 to 32 percent with 20 percent undecided.

http://tinyurl.com/2ckaje
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 12:53:56 AM »

Zogby > ARG
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 12:54:36 AM »

Lynch with only 48%? LOL, ARG.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 01:00:30 AM »

Ahhh. Lynch won with 74% last year. So, 74-48=26 point GOP bias

Sununu 51 - 40 Shaheen = +11-26 => actually a +15 lead for Shaheen ?
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 01:14:41 AM »

Ahhh. Lynch won with 74% last year. So, 74-48=26 point GOP bias

Sununu 51 - 40 Shaheen = +11-26 => actually a +15 lead for Shaheen ?

Well, that would at least jive with the non-ARG polls of the race (SUSA, D+11 and UNH, D+16). Rasmussen had only D+5, but mostly due to higher undecideds rather than higher Sununu numbers.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2007, 01:39:45 AM »

This is the most unlikely poll I've seen all year, and that's saying something.

Unless Lynch was found murdering a little girl or something.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2007, 02:49:15 AM »

It'd be interesting if this somehow correlates to the recent poll in the Boston Globe showing that independents are increasingly likely (over the past month) to vote in the GOP primary.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2007, 03:01:32 AM »

And, just to be safe, I turned my -15 shares of GOP to win New Hampshire into +25 shares of GOP to win New Hampshire, since some sucker was selling it at 33.4.

I'm hoping to turn some of those shares around once the news hits, make another quick profit on the huge swing in the GOP's favor, and then short the GOP again.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2007, 07:59:29 AM »

What is this bullsh**t company?
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2007, 09:46:11 AM »

I can't wait for them to actually release the official poll and internal numbers. The whole thing looks absolutely ridiculous. In 6 previous polls, Shaheen has lead from 5%-28% with Sununu no higher than 42% in any of the polls.

The Governor poll is especially horrendous. An extremely popular governor who just won re-election with 74% of the vote only polls with 48% against a little known Republican mayor who just won re-election with only 54% of the vote? You gotta be kidding!
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2007, 10:59:37 AM »

http://americanresearchgroup.com/nhpoll/senate08/

Strange results from this poll: First off, they oversampled undeclared voters. Second, they have Sununu leading Shaheen 48% to 41% among undeclareds, which I find highly unlikely. Independent/undeclared voters lean fairly heavily towards the Democrats in this state.   Thirdly, they have 93% of Republicans supporting Sununu which I also find highly unlikely in an anti-war state like New Hampshire.
agcatter
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2007, 11:18:30 AM »

I doubt the poll myself, but at the very least Sheehan's hubby ought to be flogged for his amateurish attempts to smear Obama.  That didn't go down well at all and gave Mrs Sheehan a complication she didn't need.  What a moronic thing to do.  What a dumbass.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2007, 11:24:06 AM »

I doubt the poll myself, but at the very least Shaheen's hubby ought to be flogged for his amateurish attempts to smear Obama. 

I agree, but realistically I doubt anyone outside of hardcore political followers ever heard about his comment. I find it highly unlikely that his comment would affect his wife's poll numbers.
agcatter
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2007, 11:46:52 AM »

You may be right.  I would agree that outside the state of NH those comments wouldn't have made much of a ripple.  However, since they were made in NH during the NH primary campaign by the husband of the Democratic candidate in the NH Senate race, I'll bet it has had some negative effect on NH voters and that a good number heard about it and didn't like it.  It sure didn't help Mrs. Sheehan.  Whether that actually gives Sununu some hope or not is up in the air.  Perhaps "hope" is all it provides.  He'd probably need a lot more help than this.

Frankly, I haven't followed this race since I've assumed Sununu was pretty much toast.  I was frankly surprised that Rasmussen had Sununu within 5 pts.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2007, 12:05:10 PM »
« Edited: December 21, 2007, 12:27:37 PM by TheresNoMoney »

Frankly, I haven't followed this race since I've assumed Sununu was pretty much toast.  I was frankly surprised that Rasmussen had Sununu within 5 pts.

I was too. However, the most recent two polls in this race (October and November) had Shaheen up 16% and 11% (UNH Survey Center and SurveyUSA).
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2007, 12:21:41 PM »

http://americanresearchgroup.com/nhpoll/senate08/

Strange results from this poll: First off, they oversampled undeclared voters. Second, they have Sununu leading Shaheen 48% to 41% among undeclareds, which I find highly unlikely. Independent/undeclared voters lean fairly heavily towards the Democrats in this state.   Thirdly, they have 93% of Republicans supporting Sununu which I also find highly unlikely in an anti-war state like New Hampshire.

It seems like ARG is basing its poll heavily upon the Republicans.  93% of them back Sununu in this poll, up from 80% in September and 61% in June - I don't see how the results could be so drastically affected by this, however.  And I still think Shaheen is ahead; if all goes to plan she should end up winning here by about 54%-45% or so.  Possibly more, but not less. 
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2007, 02:19:40 PM »

This poll is a joke.  There is no way Sununu went from trailing by 10 points to leading by 11.  There is also no way John Lynch, who has like a 75% approval rating, is being held under 50% by a nobody. 
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2007, 02:22:39 PM »

My gut says the poll is an outlier, but it may not be.  Best to wait until other polls come down the pipeline, and besides it's early anyway.  A lot can happen.
Rococo4

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2007, 03:56:47 PM »

Maybe more people like Sununu now.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2007, 04:01:08 PM »

It is ARG, so it is probably way off but I would laugh if it wasn't. I can't stand Shaheen and her asshat husband.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2007, 04:29:51 PM »

If it's true, maybe she'll lose the primary.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2007, 04:53:47 PM »

I doubt that's the reason.

If this poll is legit, or at least close enough such that Sununu is in the lead (it's hard for an indy poll to be off by 20 points), I'd estimate it's because New Hampshire is intensely focusing on the 2008 Presidential contest.

What does that mean?  Well, it means New Hampshire, more than anywhere else, has already put the Bush administration behind them and are instead focusing on the new crop of Republicans.  If you're excited about Rudy, or McCain, or maybe even Huckabee, you're not focusing on the past failures of Republicans.  You're focused on the future.

And it's the past failures of Republicans that mainly put Democrats into the driver's seat in New Hampshire.

Truth be told, it will be a real challenge for Democrats to make 2008 about Bush.  It's just not the natural way people think.
Rococo4

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2007, 06:04:15 PM »

I doubt that's the reason.

If this poll is legit, or at least close enough such that Sununu is in the lead (it's hard for an indy poll to be off by 20 points), I'd estimate it's because New Hampshire is intensely focusing on the 2008 Presidential contest.

What does that mean?  Well, it means New Hampshire, more than anywhere else, has already put the Bush administration behind them and are instead focusing on the new crop of Republicans.  If you're excited about Rudy, or McCain, or maybe even Huckabee, you're not focusing on the past failures of Republicans.  You're focused on the future.

And it's the past failures of Republicans that mainly put Democrats into the driver's seat in New Hampshire.

Truth be told, it will be a real challenge for Democrats to make 2008 about Bush.  It's just not the natural way people think.

Well I doubt it too.....but this race will be close.  Senate rematches usually end up the same way. 
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2007, 06:10:23 PM »

It may be that the tide has turned some against the Dems in general as Iraq settles down, Pelosi and Reid do their thing, Bush remains low profile, etc. We shall see.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2007, 06:26:02 PM »

It may be that the tide has turned some against the Dems in general as Iraq settles down, Pelosi and Reid do their thing, Bush remains low profile, etc. We shall see.

Most people don't even know who Reid and Pelosi are. 
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies