1960-Symington/Johnson v. Nixon/Lodge
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:47:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  1960-Symington/Johnson v. Nixon/Lodge
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1960-Symington/Johnson v. Nixon/Lodge  (Read 1077 times)
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 05, 2007, 08:23:35 PM »

Symington/Johnson: 50.07% PV, 297 EV
Nixon/Lodge: 48.93% PV, 240 EV
Others: 1% PV, 0 EV
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 09:24:19 PM »

Symington did not possess the charisma or persona of Kennedy nor did he have a famous family name to give him the aura of charm and intrigue that Kennedy had.

Nixon had a well established reputation in 1960 as a fighter and anti-Communist campaigner.  Though a respected Senator, Symington did not come up to Nixon's stature in 1960.

Nixon wins in a close election, and caputres a majority of the popular vote, Nixon 52%, Symington 47%, others 1%.   

Nixon/Lodge               273
Symington/Johnson    245
Unpledged Electors       19   

CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.58, S: -3.30

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 02:32:52 PM »

The problem I have here is that Symington, being from Missouri, needs a more established candidate from the east coast like Kennedy or Harriman. Symington and Johnson solidify the south however it costs them in the eastern states like NJ, PA and OH.

I can't see a debate between Nixon and Symington making much of an impact to the election. Nixon is not outmatched or outfunded, unlike the Kennedy challenge.

Nixon: 286
Symington: 232
Unpledged: 19

Even though I gave IL and NY to Symington, it would not surprise me if Nixon won those two making it a 358-160-19 win for Nixon.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 04:17:34 PM »

Symington did not possess the charisma or persona of Kennedy nor did he have a famous family name to give him the aura of charm and intrigue that Kennedy had.

Nixon had a well established reputation in 1960 as a fighter and anti-Communist campaigner.  Though a respected Senator, Symington did not come up to Nixon's stature in 1960.

Nixon wins in a close election, and caputres a majority of the popular vote, Nixon 52%, Symington 47%, others 1%.   

Nixon/Lodge               273
Symington/Johnson    245
Unpledged Electors       19   

The problem I have here is that Symington, being from Missouri, needs a more established candidate from the east coast like Kennedy or Harriman. Symington and Johnson solidify the south however it costs them in the eastern states like NJ, PA and OH.

I can't see a debate between Nixon and Symington making much of an impact to the election. Nixon is not outmatched or outfunded, unlike the Kennedy challenge.

Nixon: 286
Symington: 232
Unpledged: 19

Even though I gave IL and NY to Symington, it would not surprise me if Nixon won those two making it a 358-160-19 win for Nixon.

I just don't see LBJ being unable to secure the Southern states.  There is not the antipathy towards Symington that there was towards JFK in Dixie, so all 11 states stay solidly Democratic.  It seems like the only major difference between our three maps is that you have Symington as unable to hold on to the South, which would deny him the election.  By winning the South, he wins the election.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 08:44:00 PM »

Nixon enjoyed popular support in the south in Kentucky, Tennessee, Virginia, and Florida.

Nixon won these states against Kennedy and Johnson, and he certainly wins them against Symington and Johnson.

Therefore, Nixon wins the election.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies