BREAKING: Barbour plans to appoint Rep. Wicker to open Senate seat
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:58:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  BREAKING: Barbour plans to appoint Rep. Wicker to open Senate seat
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: BREAKING: Barbour plans to appoint Rep. Wicker to open Senate seat  (Read 2735 times)
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 05, 2007, 07:20:48 PM »
« edited: December 05, 2007, 07:41:34 PM by Mike Bloomberg '08 »

http://cottonmouthblog.blogspot.com/
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 07:24:09 PM »

If this proves to be spurious, I will eat some heavy crow. Looks like the ever-calculating Barbour chose politics over the welfare of the people of Mississippi. This move will harm the state's chances of accumulating seniority in the Senate.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 08:22:05 PM »

So Lean R.

And Strong R if it's held in November 2008.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 12:39:46 AM »

Considering how I've only missed 1 Mississippi race on this forum, and that was the 2007 MS Agriculture Commissioner race that I called no majority and the Republican barely broke 50% of the vote, I'd say there's no reason whatsoever to suggest that I predict two categories to the Democrat side of the truth.

Plus, even Bob Novak publicly proclaimed that Moore would beat Pickering last year, so it is very logical to then assume that Moore could knock off the weaker Wicker.

Um, didn't you say Fleming was going to win? Tongue
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 01:27:43 AM »
« Edited: December 06, 2007, 01:30:30 AM by memphis »

Anybody have any likely picks for candidates to fill Wicker's House seat? I feel like I should know given that I live less than 10 miles from it, but I really don't have a clue. In any case, the seat is as Republican as they come, so this shouldn't change the makeup of Congress.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 01:29:52 AM »

Considering how I've only missed 1 Mississippi race on this forum, and that was the 2007 MS Agriculture Commissioner race that I called no majority and the Republican barely broke 50% of the vote, I'd say there's no reason whatsoever to suggest that I predict two categories to the Democrat side of the truth.

Plus, even Bob Novak publicly proclaimed that Moore would beat Pickering last year, so it is very logical to then assume that Moore could knock off the weaker Wicker.

I believe he said that Fleming could win, which was just as absurd.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2007, 01:40:53 AM »

See Harry, you always do that. You claim "Fleming has a chance'' or "Eaves will win it" and then wonder why no one takes you seriously when they lose in landslides. Unlike the previous two, Moore has a chance to win the election. But in a state where the incumbent Governor just won 58% of the vote over a guy who basically ran as a conservative, you have to favor Wicker. I have no doubt people respect Moore, but him making up that margin seems unlikely, almost impossible if the election is next November. Not that many Republicans are going to split their ballot.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2007, 03:20:08 AM »

I already posted this here https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=65520.15.

For some reason I think Wicker could be more beatable than Pickering. 
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2007, 04:06:30 AM »

Not to stir up trouble, but I strongly consider your prediction of Barbour-but-just-barely to be a "miss" that definitely went far left on "the Democrat side of the truth."
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2007, 04:32:38 AM »

Fleming is a pervert wife-beater?
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2007, 07:58:16 AM »

Strong D
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2007, 08:46:42 AM »
« Edited: December 06, 2007, 10:27:53 AM by StateBoiler »

You also said that everyone was underestimating some guy named Eaves to beat Barbour.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2007, 01:11:26 PM »

You've surely deleted the posts because you're an ass, but you were calling for an Eaves win earlier this year. And your statements about Fleming give credence to my theory that no one takes you seriously when you try to predict elections.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2007, 02:14:17 PM »

Looks like the ever-calculating Barbour chose politics over the welfare of the people of Mississippi.

Who exactly out of Mississippi would have satisfied you?  And any particular reason your posts look like DailyKos rejects all of a sudden?
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2007, 04:46:01 PM »

Looks like the ever-calculating Barbour chose politics over the welfare of the people of Mississippi.

Who exactly out of Mississippi would have satisfied you?  And any particular reason your posts look like DailyKos rejects all of a sudden?

Look no further than Thad Cochran, who was elected to the Senate at the age of 39.  His nearly 30 year Senate tenure has led a plum spot on the Appropriations Committee, which doles out millions of federal dollars to Mississippi.  Cochran at 68 now is one of the most powerful members of the Senate and he'll continue delivering for Mississippi until at least 2014.

Barbour looked at the short term and assumed that Wicker's large campaign warchest would make him a more formidable candidate than the younger Tate Reeves.  Reeves could've followed the path of Cochran and Lott.

Instead Barbour plans to appoint a low-key, largely unambitious already 50+ year old Congressman to the Senate. Roger Wicker will be 85 when he has the same amount of seniority  as Thad Cochran has today. This isn't a partisan criticism --  it's about what well help Mississippi in the decades to come.

Daily Kos hack? C'mon, can't you find a stronger ad hominen attack than that? I'm sure most die-hard Democratic partisans are supporting Mike Bloomberg for President...
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2007, 05:13:16 PM »

Look no further than Thad Cochran, who was elected to the Senate at the age of 39.  His nearly 30 year Senate tenure has led a plum spot on the Appropriations Committee, which doles out millions of federal dollars to Mississippi.  Cochran at 68 now is one of the most powerful members of the Senate and he'll continue delivering for Mississippi until at least 2014.

Barbour looked at the short term and assumed that Wicker's large campaign warchest would make him a more formidable candidate than the younger Tate Reeves.  Reeves could've followed the path of Cochran and Lott.

Instead Barbour plans to appoint a low-key, largely unambitious already 50+ year old Congressman to the Senate. Roger Wicker will be 85 when he has the same amount of seniority  as Thad Cochran has today. This isn't a partisan criticism --  it's about what well help Mississippi in the decades to come.

Daily Kos hack? C'mon, can't you find a stronger ad hominen attack than that? I'm sure most die-hard Democratic partisans are supporting Mike Bloomberg for President...

While it's great that you're totally—and solely—consumed by potential seniority come the year 2038, I think that maybe, just maybe, you're desperately reaching here to find some kind of criticism and fault re: Wicker when none seriously exists.

(And where was the age-ist outrage over Barrasso?  He's 55.)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2007, 05:16:03 PM »

You've surely deleted the posts because you're an ass, but you were calling for an Eaves win earlier this year. And your statements about Fleming give credence to my theory that no one takes you seriously when you try to predict elections.
You are incorrect.  Nice personal attack though.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2007, 05:42:16 PM »

While it's great that you're totally—and solely—consumed by potential seniority come the year 2038, I think that maybe, just maybe, you're desperately reaching here to find some kind of criticism and fault re: Wicker when none seriously exists.

(And where was the age-ist outrage over Barrasso?  He's 55.)

I didn't criticizes Governor Freudenthal's decision to pick Barrasso because besides Cynthia Lummis (who had a deep personal rift with Freudenthal), Barrasso was the younger of the two serious finalists.  Electing young people to Congress is crucial for smaller states to maintain their clout in Washington. Joe Biden and Ted Stevens are just a few of the small-state Senators who were elected at a young age.

At the end of 2015, Mississippi will likely have a Senate delegation with a combined eight years of experience. Quite a piddling total when compared to other small states.

Finally, as an Oregonian, I can attest to the hit our state took when we lost Bob Packwood and Mark Hatfield in just one year. Eleven years have past and we still haven't regained most of our seniority.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2007, 06:26:15 PM »

I'd kind of like to see Mike Moore so Dems can really angry with him, this guy is Ben Nelson on conservative steroids
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2007, 06:43:02 PM »

In any case, the seat is as Republican as they come,

Not really. Still safe though.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2007, 08:01:13 PM »

Well he's a Larouchie, which doesn't make him a pervert wife-beater, but it does, however, make him stupid.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2007, 08:15:58 PM »

I'd kind of like to see Mike Moore so Dems can really angry with him, this guy is Ben Nelson on conservative steroids

Please warrant that assertion.  Moore's never cast a vote concerning on abortion, gay rights, health care or education spending, foreign policy, and tax rates. Why? Because he's never served in any kind of a legislative body. Considering this, how can you possible ascertain his views on political issues?
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2007, 01:12:44 PM »

Actually it isn't too hard for the Democrat to win statewide in Mississippi.  Granted, 2008 as a year would be less ideal than 2006 due to the GOP Presidential candidate at the top of the ticket.  However, the Democratic Senate nominee will benefit from increased African-American turnout in the Presidential year - and either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama would seem to increase this (Thus the percentage of blacks in the electorate should rise slightly from the 34% they made-up in 2004, according to the admittedly somewhat flawed CNN exit poll).  The Democratic candidate should be assured of the support of +90% of black voters giving him around a third of the vote.  He needs only above 15%-20% of the White vote to get beyond 50% of the vote.  I assume Mike Moore could do this (in the right circumstances).  In which case, you can see why Barbour considered appointing Mike Epsy to the seat.  Anyway, I think people are being a tad unfair with Harry.  Mike Moore is in a different league to either Fleming or Eaves. 
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2007, 01:22:40 PM »

56 is just not that old for a freshman senator. He's younger than Lamar was in 2002 and significantly younger than Liddy Dole that year. Whatever future influence he loses by not being 15 years younger will be made up for in the short term by his experience in the House. How many current senators has he already served with?

Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2007, 01:24:04 PM »

Will Bardwell reports that Haley Barbour plans to hold a press conference "to announce, and possibly introduce, his appointment to fill the Senate seat being vacated by Trent Lott."

He states that Barbour's choice will be Roger Wicker.

That would indicate that the two of them have already discussed it and decided as reported at Cotton Mouth exclusively Wednesday.

http://cottonmouthblog.blogspot.com/2007/12/barbour-press-conference-friday-what.html
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies