Silent Hunter's PMQs Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:38:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Silent Hunter's PMQs Thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Silent Hunter's PMQs Thread  (Read 7516 times)
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 05, 2007, 11:53:44 AM »

PMQs is the only real bit of Parliament that I watch. I've decided to start a thread to discuss it and give my thoughts.

Non UK members can watch it online, either at the BBC or C-SPAN sites. Bear in mind, it may be a few days before they're online.

5 December 2007

The Daily "We don't like immigrants and will slip in semi-naked women at any opportunity" Mail doesn't like Speaker Martin, accusing him of bias. I don't see it. He's just as willing to clamp down on rowdy Labour members.

What does the Scottish Secretary actually do these days? Cameron failed to produce any evidence that Des Browne doing two jobs is harming our Armed Forces. "Feeling insulted" is not enough. I feel insulted by Hugo Chavez, Kim Jong-il and George Galloway. Doesn't affect me much, apart from occasional dreams about the third one.

As soon as I heard Mercer's name called, I guessed it was a defence question. What is causing this backlog of inquests anyway? Surely they shouldn't take that long.

Usual batch of Labour "softies".

Another DUP question. It's been ages since we heard one attacking Sinn Fein and I'm glad of it. They can't insult their coalition partner can they?

On an off-topic matter, why is Salmond still in the Commons?
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 12:12:17 PM »

Another DUP question. It's been ages since we heard one attacking Sinn Fein and I'm glad of it. They can't insult their coalition partner can they?

Didn't see PMQs, but on this point...
They certainly can and they are insulting their coalition partners - just not SF. The UUP and SDLP are the major targets, indeed there's an element within the UUP which supports leaving the executive and to become a sort of official opposition.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 12:36:49 PM »

You mean the "does my the Prime Minister agree with me that kittens are A Good Thing?" type questions?
Never seen the point of those. I can't say I'm a fan of the Music Hall aspect of PMQ's, but it has purpose, there's a reason for it. But the kittens questions?
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 04:49:13 PM »

You mean the "does my the Prime Minister agree with me that kittens are A Good Thing?" type questions?
Never seen the point of those. I can't say I'm a fan of the Music Hall aspect of PMQ's, but it has purpose, there's a reason for it. But the kittens questions?

It allows Gordon time to open his mouth and spray his 'Facts-U-Like.' Though he has to be careful; last week he accused Cameron of being in government in 1992. PMQ's at the moment is interesting. I've still to catch up with it this week; does anyone know if he did his 'Mi-mi-mi-mister Speaker' Max Headroom impression?

On an off-topic matter, why is Salmond still in the Commons?

For the same reason Donald Dewar was (And Henry McLeish for that amtetr); He was elected in 2005 and is serving out his term. Dewar would have done too if he had not, unfortunately. passed away.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 04:56:49 PM »

It's a heck of a lot better than the American system.  Thatcher was the best!!!  Smiley
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 05:04:57 PM »

A slightly more decent defense by Brown today, he's still losing and losing badly week to week if you ask me, unning on the record is ringing a little hollow right now, he deflected Cable a little better this week, and did in fact lose a little of the Porky Pig M-m-mi-Mm-mmmm-mi-Mister Speaker.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 05:09:56 PM »

Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2007, 09:34:22 AM »

Last one of the year today (recess is on Tuesday).

A bit of a surprise not to go straight to the engagements question, with Dr. Julian Lewis starting with one on defence exports. I'm going to have to make enquiries on what we export so much that it gives us 20% of arms exports. It's hardly our rifles... Ann Clwyd, always one to provide a supportive quote (she got Rt. Hon status for her Iraq support) comes in with a major softie.

Cameron split his stuff into two today. The first two was a sombre, low-key set on Kosovo/Kosova (I note the Prime Minister is using the Kosovan form of the name). The PM's view on this whole issue is very close to my own. I'm favour of independence for Kosovo, on the condition that they protect the Serbian population and allow them to have a say in the running of the country.

Cable came in with one lame one on government errors and a slightly better one on Iraq.

Phil Wilson, Blair's successor in Sedgefield, asks his first PMQ, although it's quite a bit of a softie.

Cameron uses his other four for what is ultimately an insult-fest. Next to no talk about his actual policy. He's in danger of turning into a one-trick pony and only Pegasus is a decent example of that.

Angus Robertson really didn't need to bring the subject of police pay. It had already been covered and he just opened himself to SNP-bashing from the PM.

David Amess reminds me of the stereotypical Tory toff.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2007, 10:08:46 AM »

Cameron uses his other four for what is ultimately an insult-fest. Next to no talk about his actual policy. He's in danger of turning into a one-trick pony and only Pegasus is a decent example of that.

True, but Brown's 'Facts-U-Like'; his torrent of economy, NHS, health stats etc that follows a question he's not sure how to respond to in true Labour 'In the 1980's..' fashion and is usually off topic. The problem for Brown is he's not changed his routine since he was Chancellor. Cameron seizes something and overdoes it, Brown however looses his train of thought very easily. Both make for repetative viewing.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2007, 04:29:43 PM »

Porky was back in usual form today, sad to see Cable go, he really tore at Browns' guts.

And as to Cameron abusing his own charisma and whatnot, I can follow that somewhat, but just the same Brown can spit out his numbers about the last ten years and expect that to stick forever, the people always want to know what has been done for them lately.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2008, 12:10:09 PM »

9 January 2007

The Cameron-Brown section turned into its usual bunch of "He's not answering the question" and   "Your advisor says something different, so there". Look, the pair of you, there's a thing called collective Cabinet responsibility. The Cabinet or Shadow Cabinet are not a bunch of robots under the control of the PM or Leader of the Opposition.

Clegg's first one was on Winter Fuel Allowance and pensioner fuel payments. While sad, short of price controls, I don't know what the Government can really do about that. I can't help being reminded of David Cameron though. It's just the way he looks.

Begg's work question was good. A softie, but good nonetheless. She omitted to point out that the reason that a lot of people are out of work is that many jobs require experience or qualifications they don't have. Hence we need the New Deal...

You hear a Northern Irish accent, you just know its going to be a Northern Ireland question. Guess the DUP guy didn't want to mention Unionist terrorism during The Troubles.

Is it me or is there just a Tory look these days? As soon as Mark Lancaster stood up (and I didn't note his seating location), I guessed he was a Tory. You can tell a Labour person as well- even if they don't wear donkey jackets these days. The red tie helps too...

Poverty question was interesting. Poverty line is, what, 60% of median income? What is media income these days any way? One must note that poverty in the UK is not the same as poverty in Ghana. In Kingston-upon-Hull, Kaylee will almost certainly have a teddy bear. In Accra, Kayin probably won't. Of course, both of them should have as many teddy bears as they want, but let's get things into perspective...
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2008, 04:11:52 PM »

I watched this somewhat in chunks and out of order.

One thing stands out. Cameron going second-person on Brown. He's either angry, desperate or both.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2008, 04:27:50 PM »

One thing stands out. Cameron going second-person on Brown. He's either angry, desperate or both.

Somehow I don't think desperate is really it.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2008, 06:30:59 PM »

Somehow I don't think desperate is really it.

No. Mr Cameron is not desperate. Brown has upped his game a tad but has not 'won' a PMQ's since he became PM. Cameron riles the Labour front bench and shuts up the Labour backbench so even the 'friendly' questions to Brown don't help him.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2008, 05:28:29 PM »

23 Jan:

Northern Rock dominated proceedings, with Cameron doing his "how much" thing and Brown refusing to answer (I think he's right. Even if he was to give loan figures and state the vital caveat that the assets would cover most of it, the Tory media would just ignore the caveats- as usual).

I can't stand Nick Clegg.

Another Clywd softie. Ask something harder, please. I know you got a PC from Blair, but still...
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2008, 01:51:15 PM »

Questions answered this week: 0
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2008, 04:47:31 PM »

Clunking consistency.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2008, 04:57:20 PM »

Questions asked by Cameron that if he actually got an answer to he wouldn't distort more than the Doctor Who title sequence: 0

30 January 2007:

Brown-Cameron was mainly on policing. Cameron spent his time asking if the form was going to be scrapped. Brown cited the usual crime lowering figures.

Words of advice for Mr. Cameron:
1. If you're not getting an answer, change the subject.
2. Don't expect an answer to a question that Brown knows you'll just ignore anyway.
3. Join Labour, because we rock and the Tories don't.

Words of advice for Gordon:
1. Try and actually approach the question in some way- say its under review or something.
2. Emphasise Mr. Cameron is a say-anything to get elected kind of guy.
3. Try some jokes. You're too dour.

On the whole issue of stop-and-search, I'm in favour of increasing its use, but there has to be some kind of record taken, so we can be sure that it isn't being used in a discriminatory manner.

Brown-Clegg (I really dislike this guy) was on defence. What are the Lib Dems proposing to do about it anyway? And don't say scrap ID cards, because that doesn't actually bring in that much money at all.

Usual batch of softies. Nicholas Soames should lose some weight (fat is a lifestyle choice- you're not born that way and it's not good for you). Why is Cable getting questions when he's a Lib Dem front bencher?
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2008, 07:22:25 AM »

5 February 2008:

Mercer's ex-military, IIRC. Explains his question on Afghanistan. Personally, I'm not too fussed as to whether the bayonets on the ground are attached to SA-80s, G36s or FN 2000s, provided they do the job properly...

Brown actually answered Cameron on A-Levels- he hasn't decided yet. Mr. Soundbite failed to realise that.

Speaking of dithering, Brown does take decisions- he did prop up Northern Rock, he's signed Lisbon etc. Other things are waiting for the reviews. Frankly, I'd rather hear it from a review than Mr. Cameron.

Vis Lisbon, if we reject it and everyone else supports it, I'd imagine every other member of the EU is going to be very annoyed with us.

I really dislike Clegg.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2008, 12:18:23 PM »

20 February 2008:

I still dislike Clegg.

Northern Rock was more heat than light- Brown's points are valid here, Northern Rock is not really the same as the Tote.

Seriously, what is up with the Civil Service?

What was the RAF Valley question? My recording cut off there.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2008, 04:49:03 PM »

27 February:

I know Cameron can't exactly discuss the Speaker in front of his face (where does one discuss that in the Commons?), but his choice of topics was somewhat strange. The whole televised debate thing, for example...

Sir Gerald Kaufman facing cat-calling was unfortunate, considering the subject. Then again it was a party-political slant.

If we were to withdraw with the EU, am I right in thinking that most of the free trade stuff would go with it?
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2008, 04:52:31 PM »

27 February:
If we were to withdraw with the EU, am I right in thinking that most of the free trade stuff would go with it?

No; it could easily be reconstructed on a nation by nation and bloc by bloc basis. However I would expect the EU to impose restrictions. We can't expect to drop out and expect things to continue as normal trade wise. It's why I support remaining within the EU.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2008, 05:03:03 PM »

27 February:

No; it could easily be reconstructed on a nation by nation and bloc by bloc basis. However I would expect the EU to impose restrictions. We can't expect to drop out and expect things to continue as normal trade wise. It's why I support remaining within the EU.

Which is what I kind of meant- how much of the existing stuff would we lose?
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2008, 05:07:20 PM »

27 February:

Which is what I kind of meant- how much of the existing stuff would we lose?

How long is a piece of string Smiley We could leave the EU, but EU law would still affect us it would still be a strong component part of our regulation, laws and practices. We've got nearly 35 years worth of it. To nullify it, if we wanted to, would send us hurtling backwards unless we replaced it. And that would take up most of the legislative programme for the next year or two.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2008, 01:20:31 PM »

5 March:

This was the pre-Lisbon vote, so Europe featured a great deal. The usual discussions and repeated lines on that. I wouldn't mind a referendum, but a post-ratification one that essentially de-ratifies it makes the UK look very stupid.

BTW, 98% similar means nothing. Take the First Amendment out of the US Constitution and that would still be 98% similar.

Apart from that, not spectacular (then again, I've largely forgotten about it, which must indicate something)
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies