Is Kerry Ineligible for the Presidency?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:11:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Is Kerry Ineligible for the Presidency?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Is Kerry Ineligible for the Presidency?  (Read 3245 times)
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2004, 06:57:21 AM »

It has never been proven that he was AWOL.  This is why the DNC tries to bring up the topic each election.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2004, 07:19:25 AM »

It has never been proven that he was AWOL.  This is why the DNC tries to bring up the topic each election.

The  it hasn't. His military records show that he did not follow the rules in making up duty missed, and not one person has come forward to collect a $10,000 reward for remembering serving with him.

Yet you believe this Nixonian swift veterans group that smeared John McCain in 2000. What a ing joke.
millwx

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2004, 07:45:37 AM »

So any dissent during time of war is treason?
I'm astonished how many otherwise intelligent people believe this... on this forum and elsewhere.  They may not go so far as to call it treason (though some will), but they'll at least call it "aid and comfort" to the enemy.  While I hear a lot of asinine statements from both sides of the political spectrum, this is one of the highest forms of idiocy.  Intent is everything.  Just like one will almost always be found not guilty of murder if it was a true act of self-defense.  Intent is everything.  The intent of these protests, by Kerry and others, was not to "aid and comfort" the enemy... it was to alter U.S. policy.  Period.  Yes, it's as simple as that.  If the enemy chooses to take comfort from that, it is a sad and unfortunate consequence.

Mind you, I am extremely pro-military, and I have a serious problem with the protesters who would spit on or otherwise denegrate the soldiers returning from Vietnam.  I think that's beyond wong in any war... the soldiers didn't set the public policy... but of all our wars, it was exceptionally wrong in a war in which the draft was in effect.  But this is an entirely different issue from protesting the war in general.

I guess Dick Cheney and George W. Bush, given their past (current?) ties to oil, which has indirectly funded much of the terrorism as well as Saddam Hussein's former war infrastructure (and his stockpiles of WMD Wink ) have provided aid and comfort to the enemy and, thus, are ineligible to serve.  Absurd?  Yes.  About as absurd as saying John Kerry provided aid and comfort to the enemy.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2004, 07:49:39 AM »

Your response verifies the frustration of your party for failing to prove your accusation.  

For those who aren't familiar with what his is talking about, reference:  http://doonesbury.msn.com/strip/bush_guard.html

The funny thing is though, he states two things:

"And the two witnesses who have come forward in support so far haven't exactly cleared things up."

"Q: What if I saw Bush, but I can't prove it? Can I get some of the money?
A: No, but if your story's entertaining enough, you may qualify for our consolation prize, an original Doonesbury strip personally signed by a top studio intern."

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2004, 07:51:10 AM »

Your response verifies the frustration of your party for failing to prove your accusation.  

For those who aren't familiar with what his is talking about, reference:  http://doonesbury.msn.com/strip/bush_guard.html

The funny thing is though, he states two things:

"And the two witnesses who have come forward in support so far haven't exactly cleared things up."

"Q: What if I saw Bush, but I can't prove it? Can I get some of the money?
A: No, but if your story's entertaining enough, you may qualify for our consolation prize, an original Doonesbury strip personally signed by a top studio intern."

Well, claim the reward and sell it on Ebay. What's stopping you?
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2004, 08:02:47 AM »

Duh... never was in the national guard, silly.  Besides, I would be able to claim the money.  It would be given to the USO (read the site).
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2004, 08:06:31 AM »

So any dissent during time of war is treason?
I'm astonished how many otherwise intelligent people believe this... on this forum and elsewhere.  They may not go so far as to call it treason (though some will), but they'll at least call it "aid and comfort" to the enemy.  While I hear a lot of asinine statements from both sides of the political spectrum, this is one of the highest forms of idiocy.  Intent is everything.  Just like one will almost always be found not guilty of murder if it was a true act of self-defense.  Intent is everything.  The intent of these protests, by Kerry and others, was not to "aid and comfort" the enemy... it was to alter U.S. policy.  Period.  Yes, it's as simple as that.  If the enemy chooses to take comfort from that, it is a sad and unfortunate consequence.

Mind you, I am extremely pro-military, and I have a serious problem with the protesters who would spit on or otherwise denegrate the soldiers returning from Vietnam.  I think that's beyond wong in any war... the soldiers didn't set the public policy... but of all our wars, it was exceptionally wrong in a war in which the draft was in effect.  But this is an entirely different issue from protesting the war in general.

I guess Dick Cheney and George W. Bush, given their past (current?) ties to oil, which has indirectly funded much of the terrorism as well as Saddam Hussein's former war infrastructure (and his stockpiles of WMD Wink ) have provided aid and comfort to the enemy and, thus, are ineligible to serve.  Absurd?  Yes.  About as absurd as saying John Kerry provided aid and comfort to the enemy.

I agree with a lot of that... there's certainly a moral distinction between opposing a war and waving the flag of the country your country is at war with.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2004, 12:26:03 PM »

Speaking of McCain, he recently condemned an anti-Kerry ad featuring these swiftboat fellows and urged Bush to do the same.
Giant Saguaro
TheGiantSaguaro

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: 3.83

« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2004, 12:57:12 PM »

Speaking of McCain, I strongly object to his condemning the Swift Boat Vets for Truth. The more people want them to shut up the more I want to hear what they have to say. They may be just as political as the ones supporting Kerry, so what's the big deal? Seems like many of the same people who say we should question authority and question Bush and be highly suspicious of him and even suspect him of calling terror alerts to bolster his poll numbers think we shouldn't question Kerry and not only that, we shouldn't even question his judgment in relation to his voting record. Hmm boy, I'll not understand...
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies