2000 scenario.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:17:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  2000 scenario.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2000 scenario.  (Read 2936 times)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 01, 2007, 08:56:23 PM »

i would provide a story, but because of my injured hand, i wont.

republicans nominate colin powell.  powell selects rhode island governor lincoln almond as his running mate.

democrats nominate al gore who selects former georgia senator sam nunn as his running mate.

discuss w/maps.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 09:02:23 PM »

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 09:06:19 PM »

Gore 246
Powell 292
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2007, 09:20:16 PM »

This map is way off. Man, you really like living in a fantasy world where every democratic ticket wins the election scenarios don't you.

And you're a Republican hack who can not imagine an America where freedom and equality exist Wink
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.58, S: -3.30

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2007, 09:26:12 PM »

This map is way off. Man, you really like living in a fantasy world where every democratic ticket wins the election scenarios don't you.

And you're a Republican hack who can not imagine an America where freedom and equality exist Wink

I think you guys need placed into a closet and fight this out!
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2007, 09:34:50 PM »

A subforum in this board for hacks would be a great idea. And very popular.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2007, 09:36:38 PM »

I'm not a hack am I? Cry
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2007, 09:40:18 PM »

Maybe it would turn out like this..

Colin L. Powell/Lincoln Almond (R): 282 EV, 51%
Al Gore/Joe Lieberman (D): 256 EV, 49%
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2007, 09:49:00 PM »

I'm not a hack am I? Cry

Borderline.

Though I was refering to gporter and WarnerforSenate08 for that!
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2007, 11:34:25 AM »

Powell wins 317-221
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2007, 12:54:47 PM »

Colin being black hurts in the South, but he doesn't lose deep south states like GA.  The results are:

CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2007, 02:07:40 PM »
« Edited: December 02, 2007, 02:26:00 PM by CPT MikeyMike »

Probably the most logical one map here.

Gore does slightly better in the south like Tennessee and Clinton's home state of Arkansas however most swing states go to Powell. Nunn is a good VP pick. He makes Georgia competitive but loses the states by less than 2%. Florida needs no recount as Powell wins the states by at least 5%.

I have to say though Powell has a rather weak VEEP. I'm shocked Walter didn't put Rod Grams in this scenario. You should have done my Rod Grams version of Bob Smith in there!

Maybe it's his broken hand! Smiley
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2007, 02:19:08 PM »
« Edited: December 02, 2007, 02:21:04 PM by Tammany Hall Republican »

I am going to have to break with popular opinion and go with a big Gore victory.

I do not believe the south would go with two northeast candidates like Powell and Almond. 

Simply put, the south would not cast their votes in large enough numbers for a black candidate.  Powell would have attracted a larger share of the black vote, however, by in large, the black voters would remain predominantly loyal to the Democrats.

Gore is as well able to win in traditionally Democratic states in the north, midwest, and west coast. 

Nunn helps Gore in the south and does not hurt him in the north and midwest.  Almond does not add anything to the Powell ticket. 

Gore/Nunn                 363
Powell/Almond           175

CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2007, 02:24:08 PM »

I am going to have to break with popular opinion and go with a big Gore victory.

I do not believe the south would go with two northeast candidates like Powell and Almond. 

Simply put, the south would not cast their votes in large enough numbers for a black candidate.  Powell would have attracted a larger share of the black vote, however, by in large, the black voters would remain predominantly loyal to the Democrats.

Gore is as well able to win in traditionally Democratic states in the north, midwest, and west coast. 

WOW!

You don't think Powell would play big to swing states like Florida, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Minnesota?

I agree Powell is not as strong as Bush or McCain would perfrom in the south but Powell probably would do better with swing states and independent voters.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2007, 03:03:39 PM »

question:  why do some of these maps have vt going for powell?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2007, 03:13:36 PM »

Because it wasn't as much of a Democratic bastion in 2000 and Powell is a liberal NE Republican as opposed to a conservative southern Democrat like Al Gore.  If Gore had Howard Dean as his running mate, different story. But with two liberal Republicans and two conservative Southern Democrats, Vermont goes Republican narrowly
auburntiger
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.61, S: 0.65

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2007, 03:45:08 PM »

Because it wasn't as much of a Democratic bastion in 2000 and Powell is a liberal NE Republican as opposed to a conservative southern Democrat like Al Gore.  If Gore had Howard Dean as his running mate, different story. But with two liberal Republicans and two conservative Southern Democrats, Vermont goes Republican narrowly

Al Gore, a conservative?...right
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2007, 03:54:02 PM »

Nunn helps Gore in the south and does not hurt him in the north and midwest.  Almond does not add anything to the Powell ticket. 

This is a great map, although I don't see Alabama, Mississippi and South Carolina going for Gore.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2007, 03:55:35 PM »

Al Gore, a conservative?...right
Certainly more conservative than Colon Powell, remember we are talking about the Al Gore that received an A from Americans for Better Immigration
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2007, 09:18:13 PM »

WOW!

You don't think Powell would play big to swing states like Florida, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Minnesota?

I agree Powell is not as strong as Bush or McCain would perfrom in the south but Powell probably would do better with swing states and independent voters.

I agree Powell would have run better than Bush among independents in 2000, and the following map shows my best result for Powell, where he takes Iowa, Michigan, New Mexico, Oregon, Pennsylvania in addition to the previous result.  Gore still wins.

These additional states would have been competitive, certainly, but Gore would still have had a good chance of winning them.

People would have looked at Gore's extensive political experience and weighed that against Powell's military experience, and would have come to the conclusion that Gore was more prepared to be President.

Gore/Nunn                 303
Powell/Almond           235

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies