Crossfire: Kerry's weak record in Senate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:01:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Crossfire: Kerry's weak record in Senate
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Crossfire: Kerry's weak record in Senate  (Read 1161 times)
khirkhib

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 04, 2004, 06:52:47 PM »

In 20 years in Senate Kerry only introduced and passed 57 bills.  Just about 3 bills a year not to impressive.  Though I can't say I know what the average is.

However in 10 years in congress Cheney only introduced and passed 2 bills.  So it can't of makes Kerry look good.

Other things I've learned about Cheney's record in the house.

He opposed banning armour piercing bullets.

He was the last representative to oppose sanctions against South Africa and he called Nelson Mandella's African National Congress a terrorist organization.

And he in 1986 he introduced a bill to put a tax on oil.
"Let us rid ourselves of the fiction that low oil prices are somehow good for the United States "  Guess he's more progressive than I thought.  

Interesting stuff.

Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2004, 07:06:56 PM »

Kerry would be smart to run an ad featuring Cheney saying that if he said it on video.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2004, 07:10:07 PM »

Dick Cheney also wanted higher gas prices.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2004, 07:42:44 PM »

The bill to ban armor piercing bullets was poorly written.  They were using the bill to ban small calibre rounds, yet larger calibre or high-velocity rounds will pierce your basic body armor back then just as easy.  

In addition, there was no clear definition within the bill if this "ban" extended to military applications.  If our rounds, even small calibre, cannot penatrate an enemy's armor, then we are in trouble.

However, if you read the clearer sections of the bill, it was also calling for the bans on rounds that would penetrate softer body armor, such as flak jackets.  Most hand gun rounds can penatrate flak jackets at close ranges.

This was more of a PR bill than anything.  If you want some good information regarding protective vests, I recommend:  http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Bulletproof-vest

It discusses the urban legend of "cop killers" back in the 80's.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2004, 09:50:36 PM »

Yeah, the cop killer bullet crap was all propaganda.

Dick Cheney was more or less immune to leftist brainwashing, so his record was solid. He only said the ANC was a terrorist group because it was (which Margaret Thatcher said in a session of Parliament; but the opposition Labor leader was mostly upset that she called him a communist).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies