Affirmative Action Reform Bill of 2007 [Failed]
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:37:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Affirmative Action Reform Bill of 2007 [Failed]
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Affirmative Action Reform Bill of 2007 [Failed]  (Read 4119 times)
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 29, 2007, 09:15:32 PM »
« edited: December 13, 2007, 02:43:51 PM by Verily »

Affirmative Action Reform Bill of 2007

1. F.L. 8-14 is repealed.

(Sponsor: Ebowed)
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 04:54:28 PM »

Well, since no one else is talking, I will say that I am opposed to this bill and find no redeeming facet to the return of affirmative action, an outdated practice in modern Atlasia that reaffirms stereotypes and prejudices of all sorts.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 06:18:03 PM »

Well, since no one else is talking, I will say that I am opposed to this bill and find no redeeming facet to the return of affirmative action, an outdated practice in modern Atlasia that reaffirms stereotypes and prejudices of all sorts.

The bill in question even bans affirmative action on the basis of socio-economic status.

Either way, the sad fact is that workplaces and educational institutions are not integrated.  Prospective employers are more likely to call someone with a "white-sounding" name than a "black-sounding" one.  I don't see why federal agencies should not be allowed to determine their own criteria when it comes to affirmative action.  Hopefully some would see fit to attempt to increase diversity among their employees.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2007, 06:49:51 PM »

I'll provide the bill for people and I'll chime in since I supported it back in the day (and so does our President). And it's for giving special preference based on race, sex, sexual orientation, ethnicity or economic status. Meaning we hire people for their qualifications instead of getting someone in there just to keep the place diverse.

https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/Affirmative_Action_Act
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2007, 06:53:19 PM »

This bill is easily more absurd than the "Fairness to the Children Act"
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2007, 07:01:52 PM »

More? Certainly not.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2007, 07:07:19 PM »

More? Certainly not.
It least that was to clear up discrepancies, this has no purpose other than to overturn a largely accepted and not oft objected to law
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2007, 07:36:40 PM »

Meaning we hire people for their qualifications instead of getting someone in there just to keep the place diverse.

I don't think you really understand what affirmative action is.

If an employer has two completely equal candidates for a position, he might consider picking the one from a more diverse background.  Affirmative action is not a quota policy, or forced hiring of anyone solely for their skin color.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2007, 07:43:07 PM »

Meaning we hire people for their qualifications instead of getting someone in there just to keep the place diverse.

If an employer has two completely equal candidates for a position, he might consider picking the one from a more diverse background.  Affirmative action is not a quota policy, or forced hiring of anyone solely for their skin color.

There is no such thing as "completely equal" candidates.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2007, 07:49:13 PM »

It probably happens all the time, especially in lower-level employment.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2007, 07:52:09 PM »

It probably happens all the time, especially in lower-level employment.

The government is not in the business of hiring unskilled laborers as far as I am aware, and even there candidates can always be distinguished by communication skills, physical strength, etc. Affirmative action is a tool of the lazy decision-maker.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2007, 08:05:02 PM »

Hi, we have a word for that RACISM
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2007, 08:06:10 PM »

True, but there is such a thing as being more or less equal. This is the case when one interviewer will think one candidate is better, while another will think another is better.  It is in these circumstances that affirmative action should be implemented.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2007, 08:06:43 PM »

Is requiring there to be an equal number of male and female P.E. teachers a form of sexism?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2007, 08:09:51 PM »

Is requiring there to be an equal number of male and female P.E. teachers a form of sexism?
That has nothing to do with this.  The reason they have that is so that you don't have a guy monitoring a girls locker room and vice versa, where is the comparsion possible there?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2007, 08:12:06 PM »

That has nothing to do with this.  The reason they have that is so that you don't have a guy monitoring a girls locker room and vice versa, where is the comparsion possible there?

What I just described to you is a form of sex-based affirmative action, which is illegal under the bill I'm trying to repeal.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2007, 08:16:18 PM »

What I just described to you is a form of sex-based affirmative action, which is illegal under the bill I'm trying to repeal.
That is not affirmative action, that is just avoiding creepiness and lawsuits
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2007, 08:22:50 PM »

Under the definition of affirmative action provided in the relevant legislation, a school policy to have an equal number of P.E. teachers from each sex would be an example of illegal affirmative action.

You know, DWDL, it's interesting that you support banning affirmative action, yet as a libertarian you would argue against laws restricting the rights of employers to determine their own criteria.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2007, 09:06:22 AM »

Under the definition of affirmative action provided in the relevant legislation, a school policy to have an equal number of P.E. teachers from each sex would be an example of illegal affirmative action.

You know, DWDL, it's interesting that you support banning affirmative action, yet as a libertarian you would argue against laws restricting the rights of employers to determine their own criteria.
This has nothing to do with private employers, this is the government.  If private employers want to hire someone because their black, that's their perogative, but the government should not engage in such a practice.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2007, 04:04:33 PM »

I'm not sure why a school needs equal numbers of male and female P.E. teachers.  Male P.E. teachers can't handle female students and vice versa?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2007, 04:08:48 PM »

I'm not sure why a school needs equal numbers of male and female P.E. teachers.  Male P.E. teachers can't handle female students and vice versa?

The more important thing is that, say, if a school has three P.E. teachers, at least one of them is of the other sex.  Rather than three male or three female teachers.  Having an equal amount is only a good idea if the school is large enough to warrant having a higher, even number of P.E. teachers.

Keep in mind that in a lot of schools P.E. teachers are also responsible for health and sex education.  Students who have private questions will feel more comfortable asking the teacher of the same sex.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2007, 11:44:05 PM »

The more important thing is that, say, if a school has three P.E. teachers, at least one of them is of the other sex.  Rather than three male or three female teachers.  Having an equal amount is only a good idea if the school is large enough to warrant having a higher, even number of P.E. teachers.

Keep in mind that in a lot of schools P.E. teachers are also responsible for health and sex education.  Students who have private questions will feel more comfortable asking the teacher of the same sex.

I've had health/sex ed with both male and female teachers; gay and straight teachers.  Honestly, I saw little difference in the two.  And I'd much rather have the best teachers teaching sex ed, rather than ones picked for gender compatibility.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2007, 05:54:51 PM »

Given that debate has died on this legislation, I will bring this to a final vote.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2007, 05:55:32 PM »

We are now voting on the final passage of the following legislation. Please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2007, 05:56:13 PM »

Nay
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length