Which party has changed more
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:15:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Which party has changed more
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: From their roots
Democrats

Republicans

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 48

Author Topic: Which party has changed more  (Read 10352 times)
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 29, 2007, 06:40:51 PM »

The Democrats, from racism to racial equality.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 06:42:01 PM »

Republicans from Economic Leftism of the Progressive Era, and Social Leftism to the Uber-Conservative Republican Party of today.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 07:14:38 PM »

Republicans from Economic Leftism of the Progressive Era, and Social Leftism to the Uber-Conservative Republican Party of today.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 07:25:40 PM »

You do mean overt racism to closet racism correct?

However, it is still the Republican party that has changed more from the awful Republicans of Lincoln, to the free market Republicans of Grant to Hoover, to the jump to the left that ended with Reagan to the return to populism created by Bush.  Hopefully it will jump again to Goldwater times.
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 08:16:54 PM »

Republicans from Economic Leftism of the Progressive Era, and Social Leftism to the Uber-Conservative Authoritarian dominated Republican Party of today.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 09:46:32 PM »

There is no closet racism in our party.  We are the party of racial equality, while the GOP is the party of the rich and white.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 09:48:10 PM »

There is no closet racism in our party.  We are the party of racial equality, while the GOP is the party of the rich and white.
You can keep believing that all you want, doesn't make it true
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2007, 03:51:58 AM »

I wouldn't call it closet racism.  I think a better description is soft racism.  The Democratic Party has handicapped black Americans through affirmative action and other proposals that seek to give minorities a boost.  These proposals may have been necessary to end segregation and racism initially but they have no place in today's society.  By continuing to put forth and support these policies Democrats have convinced many blacks that they cannot succeed without outside help or intervention.  Also, such proposals keep the embers of racism and racial tension burning under the surface of American society.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2007, 05:12:28 PM »

The GOP, by far.  John C. Fremont, Abraham Lincoln, Theodore Roosevelt, and Dwight Eisenhower would not recognize the present-day Republican Party. 
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2007, 06:07:43 PM »

The progressive era was never particulary left wing; it just seemed that way. But it is hard to imagine a more genial image of a plutocrat than Theodore Roosevelt.

Blaming either of the political parties for racism is daft btw. Parties can be made out of racists; but these people are racists before they join the party (or are George Wallace). Though a Republican accusing the Democrats of closet racism is the greatest example of Pot calling kettle black in history. Subliminal racism has been a part of the Republican strategy since Nixon; especially in targetting Working class whites mainly from the south.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2007, 09:16:55 PM »

I wouldn't call it closet racism.  I think a better description is soft racism.  The Democratic Party has handicapped black Americans through affirmative action and other proposals that seek to give minorities a boost.  These proposals may have been necessary to end segregation and racism initially but they have no place in today's society.  By continuing to put forth and support these policies Democrats have convinced many blacks that they cannot succeed without outside help or intervention.  Also, such proposals keep the embers of racism and racial tension burning under the surface of American society.

So you're saying like accidental racism?
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2007, 10:32:23 PM »

Republicans from Economic Leftism of the Progressive Era, and Social Leftism to the Uber-Conservative Authoritarian dominated Republican Party of today.
frihetsivrare
Volksliberalist

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -7.13

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2007, 11:21:25 PM »

The Republican Party because it was the party of limited government, now it is the party of expanded government, just like the Democrats.  Though it is true that the Republicans are more authoritarian.

On many fronts the Republicans are more different.  Look at foreign policy.  During the 1920s and 30s the Republican Party was totally opposed to most foreign conflict, which contrasts greatly from today. 
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2007, 11:29:27 PM »

Obviously I believe the Republican party has changed for the worse and the Democrats for the better.

But overall, both have shifted to such an extent as to create a more diverse "middle ground" - and both sides have to enact a balancing act to win.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2007, 03:30:42 AM »

haha! The Dems are the only party that make race an issue, while the GOP tries to treat people on equal footing, meaning that no one gets preferential treatment.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2007, 12:41:28 PM »

haha! The Dems are the only party that make race an issue, while the GOP tries to treat people on equal footing, meaning that no one gets preferential treatment.

You may wish to question the assumption that people are on equal footing to begin with...
SamInTheSouth

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2007, 08:14:36 PM »

There is no closet racism in our party.

LOL.  Keep telling yourself that buddy.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2007, 09:38:56 PM »

WTF!? I am an Mexican-American Democrat, and I take offense to this. There is not ONE RASCIST in the Democratic Party. Not one. The Republicans have been the party of Rascism since Strom Thurmond and others joined the Republicans. "Rascist" Democrats such as Byrd, said they supported Equal Rights for blacks long before it became popular.
Oh yeah and to those that say, that we are rascist because we wish to help African-Americans get better jobs, and standing in life get a fricken grip. We want to do the same to Whites and anyone who is poor.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2007, 09:41:51 PM »

WTF!? I am an Mexican-American Democrat, and I take offense to this. There is not ONE RASCIST in the Democratic Party. Not one. The Republicans have been the party of Rascism since Strom Thurmond and others joined the Republicans. "Rascist" Democrats such as Byrd, said they supported Equal Rights for blacks long before it became popular.
Oh yeah and to those that say, that we are rascist because we wish to help African-Americans get better jobs, and standing in life get a fricken grip. We want to do the same to Whites and anyone who is poor.
I think you would hard pressed to prove there are no racists in the Democratic party, that is really broad generalization.  Republicans are the party of not making race an issue, Democrats love to bring it up to stir up the base and convince minorties Republicans are waiting with guns to take their homes at any minute.  They inspire race in minorities which is worse than anything Republicans do
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2007, 09:47:17 PM »

I think you would hard pressed to prove there are no racists in the Democratic party, that is really broad generalization.  Republicans are the party of not making race an issue, Democrats love to bring it up to stir up the base and convince minorties Republicans are waiting with guns to take their homes at any minute.  They inspire race in minorities which is worse than anything Republicans do
Some of the Republicans are rascist, by the ways they hate Illegal-Immigrants and Mexicans. This is only about 5% of the Republican Party, but this is an evil 5% that wishes to knock on every Mexican's door and ask if they are illegal or not.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2007, 09:48:17 PM »

Some of the Republicans are rascist, by the ways they hate Illegal-Immigrants and Mexicans. This is only about 5% of the Republican Party, but this is an evil 5% that wishes to knock on every Mexican's door and ask if they are illegal or not.
I hate what illegal immigrants stand for, no matter what their race.  I don't know if I necessarily hate them as people but I want them deported as they should be at their own expense.  I don't hate Mexicans, in fact I hate no race of people
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2007, 09:51:38 PM »

I hate what illegal immigrants stand for, no matter what their race.  I don't know if I necessarily hate them as people but I want them deported as they should be at their own expense.  I don't hate Mexicans, in fact I hate no race of people
So you don't hate big business who hires Illegals but the immigrants themselves. This is ignorant. If you were a substience farmer in Mexico who wanted to have his family live better would you move to America, or stay in Mexico because you wanted to be a law abiding citizen.
I actually want to build a border fence but what is so bad about letting the ones already here be citizens? Why should we deport them like they are common criminals when they commit less crimes per person than the average America?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2007, 09:54:57 PM »

So you don't hate big business who hires Illegals but the immigrants themselves. This is ignorant. If you were a substience farmer in Mexico who wanted to have his family live better would you move to America, or stay in Mexico because you wanted to be a law abiding citizen.
I actually want to build a border fence but what is so bad about letting the ones already here be citizens? Why should we deport them like they are common criminals when they commit less crimes per person than the average America?
While I agree that people should be citizens or deported that their current status is ridiculous.  I propose the following, trying to stay w/Mexico's immigration laws:
You can become an American citizen but you must have a steady job and pay back taxes in excessive of $500,000.  If you cannot meet this within one year you are deported.  Pretty simple and fair if you ask me, I mean I wouldn't want a double standard.  In fact, this is nothing compared to Mexico's policy
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2007, 09:59:05 PM »

While I agree that people should be citizens or deported that their current status is ridiculous.  I propose the following, trying to stay w/Mexico's immigration laws:
You can become an American citizen but you must have a steady job and pay back taxes in excessive of $500,000.  If you cannot meet this within one year you are deported.  Pretty simple and fair if you ask me, I mean I wouldn't want a double standard.  In fact, this is nothing compared to Mexico's policy
That idea has some virtues, but is stupid. If you are a poor worker, getting paid minnimum wage how could you pay over 500$ in a year without starving to death? And the steady job part hurts many.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2007, 10:00:43 PM »

That idea has some virtues, but is stupid. If you are a poor worker, getting paid minnimum wage how could you pay over 500$ in a year without starving to death? And the steady job part hurts many.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=aWQjyiOOHB0
I checked the facts and they are correct, if anything it points out hypocrisy
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies