1968 Election Story For Open Participation
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:25:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  1968 Election Story For Open Participation
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: 1968 Election Story For Open Participation  (Read 15049 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 25, 2007, 10:33:54 PM »
« edited: November 27, 2007, 08:14:01 AM by Tammany Hall Republican »

I would like to get a 1968 election story started for anyone interested in participating.

Entries can be serious, humorous, exaggerated, fun, fanciful, almost anything.

However, the story must remain somewhat realistic, in the sense that, for example, some dancer from Australia or somewhere cannot become President.

Such things as the world is blown up end of story, or aliens attack and destroy the world end of story, or all possible candidates die end of story, will not be allowed.

The main thing about the story is to have fun.

I will start..........

In the summer of 1967, President Lyndon Johnson announces that the war in Vietnam is costing too many American lives, and that he, as President, is saddened "to the very depths of my soul" and tells the American public that he "must bring home our young men and young women as quickly and as honorably as humanly possible."

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 08:51:29 PM »

Come on.  Use your imaginations.

Let's get a good story going.
gorkay

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 05:46:10 PM »

Okay... First of all, here are the reactions to Johnson's statement and his plans on Vietnam.

Most Democrats and anti-war activists applaud him, although the more militant among them still blame him for not having taken these steps two years earlier. Moderates of both parties and independents are generally favorable, but take a wait and see attitude as to the exact logistics and timetable of the withdrawal. Most Republicans, other conservatives, and other pro-war factions excoriate him for his "surrender" and what they view as his destruction of American prestige.

The big effect that LBJ's action has on the upcoming Presidential race is to defuse Vietnam as an issue in the Democratic party and make it an issue that only the conservatives in the Republican party can use. Since none of the leading GOP candidates in the summer of '67 are right-wingers, it creates problems for them all-- especially Nixon, who was set to sell himself to the electorate as the candidate who could end the war honorably. The situation creates an opening for a more conservative candidate.
Since nearly all the opposition to LBJ in the Democratic party is based on his conduct of the war, there appears to be no more need to oppose him for the nomination, provided he decides to run again. And with his approval ratings soaring after his announcement, the Democrats begin to look favorably on him once again as a likely winner in '68.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2007, 01:25:57 PM »

Thank you.

At this point in time, President Johnson intends to seek another term.  He does not want to go down in history as the President who allowed the spread of Communism further into Southeast Asia, and as the President who stood by while freedom was being eroded in that part of the world.

In October, 1967, the President elaborates on his earlier remarks from the summer, and makes a major speech in Manchester, New Hampshire, where he announces that although he wants the troops brought back home "as soon as the situation will permit", he also tells the public that "we must put an end to the encroachment of Communism any further into Southeast Asia.  Therefore, our troops will remain at this time in Vietnam, to defend freedom and to defend America's interests in the region."

Johnson was persuaded by the military industrial complex that the war must continue.  Giant corporations were profiting tremendously from the war, and the military leadership wanted to have more freedom in dealing with the enemy.

The President's announcement sets off a firestorm in the left of the Democratic Party, who assail Johnson's speech as "a betrayal of our military", and is denounced by the Republicans as "too vague and lacking in any specifics to deal adequately with the situation with which are faced."
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2007, 01:33:36 PM »

Ho Chi Minh contacts Lyndon Johnson with a message:

"If American troops are truly in Vietnam to figh for freedom, then I am sure that you would not object to a unified, democratic Vietnam. Thus, I ask for a ceasefire to be called and for elections to take place throughout Vietnam on January 1, 1968. If I win, I can guarantee that free elections will be held regularly."

In a face-saving gesture after his botched speech, Johnson agrees.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2007, 02:08:32 PM »
« Edited: December 01, 2007, 03:59:39 PM by Tammany Hall Republican »

Governor George Romney of Michigan, already a declared candidate for President, is the first major Republican to address Johnson's deal with Ho Chi Mihn.

Romney denounces the arrangement as "A deal with the devil, destined for failure.  Why in the name of common sense would the President of the United States enter into a deal with the despotic Communist dictator of North Vietnam, whose word cannot be trusted, who has spent a lifetime trampling over the basic rights and freedoms of millions"? Romney asks.

"As President of the United States, my first act will be to begin negotiations for peace from a position of strength, not from a position of capitulation."

TV ads, billboard ads, bumper stickers, start appearing in the early primary states,

"Strength Not Capitulation.  Romney For President."

Reluctant Republican

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2007, 02:51:56 PM »

Unknown to all but the highest levels of the American government, Johnson secretly orders the CIA to “use any means necessary”  to ensure that Minh loses the Vietnamese elections, and money begins to be secretly funneled into the bank accounts of several individuals and parties that are known to hold Pro American and anti Communist views. Johnson suspects the Soviets are attempting the same thing with Minh, So he feels justified in the technical breaking of his agreement with the North Vietnamese.

In response to Romney’s statements and rising support, Johnson gives a short speech in which he blasts the Michigan governor as a “shortsighted fool who would have us sacrifice 40000 more American boys to save face. A new strategy is required in Vietnam, one of negotiation, and it is a strategy that shall always be the first resort of a Johnson administration!” Reaction to the speech will prove to be mixed.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2007, 03:00:21 PM »

On December 10, a breaking story comes out on the front pages of all the world's newspapers. A reporter for BBC has exposed the American money covertly flowing into Vietnam to stop Minh. Johnson's approval ratings hit rock bottom, at about 10%.

Meanwhile, Ho Chi Minh has become by far the most popular man in Vietnam, and a vast majority of Vietnamese, both North and South, support his cause. Johnson realizes that he cannot win the election—he will have to prevent it from taking place.

On December 23, Johnson summons top-level military officials into his office. He instructs them to break the ceasefire by dropping a bomb the next day on Saigon, and framng Minh for it.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2007, 04:31:31 PM »
« Edited: December 01, 2007, 09:07:18 PM by Tammany Hall Republican »

On December 11, the day after the covert money story broke, George Romney gives a speech in Concord, New Hampshire, responding to Johnson's attack.

Says Romney "President Johnson calls me a fool?  He's the one willing to fall hook, line, and sinker into the snare of a Communist despot, who would stop at nothing to impose his enslavement upon millions in South Vietnam, as he has done to the people of North Vietnam.  Johnson talks about negotiation, yet, he has not spent one hour in negotiation.  All he has done is send more and more of our young troops into harms way in Vietnam.  I am the one talking about negotiation.  And, my friends, anyone in public life, in particular the President of the United States, should know, it is impossible to negotiate from a position of weakness and capitulation, which is the very position into which Johnson has plunged America.  I am the one talking about giving our troops the necessary tools to do the job, Johnson is the one who sent our troops into Vietnam half equipped to deal with the situation on the ground."

"I am the one proposing a systematic withdrawal of our troops within a reasonable and workable time frame.  I want to see our troops come home, Johnson leaves them over there half equipped."

"My friends", continues Romney, "the biggest fool in this country is the fool sitting in the Oval Office in the White House.  He has to go, and I'm the one who can do it."

Wild applause, and Romney continues to rise dramatically in the polls. 

Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2007, 05:07:05 PM »

On December 24, American planes painted Viet Cong colors bomb Saigon. In what becomes known as the "Christmas Eve incident", Johnson appears on national TV. He is visibly "angry" at the "perpetration of the bombing by Minh". The speech degenerates into hysterics as he tries to pin the bombs on someone, starting with Mao and eventually insinuating it had something to do with Romney.

The next day, Christmas, Romney makes a speech. His calmness is in marked contrast to Johnson. He says, "The President states that we need to negotiate. I agree. But we need to do it from a position of strength, not weakness. We cannot let the pursuit of freedom descend into party politics." The last sentence is a stab at Johnson.
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2007, 07:16:03 PM »

The attack on Saigon immediately causes a strong reaction from around the world. Many international analysts openly question why Minh, an almost certain lock to win the election due to be held in a week, would so brazenly sabotage the ceasefire. In Vietnam, almost everyone believes that the attack was orchestrated by the Americans as a desperate ploy to prevent Minh’s victory, and the populace swings more in the communist leader’s favor then ever before.

Back in America, the attack does boost Johnson’s approvals back into the low 30’s, but he is still a deeply unpopular president and with the elections in Vietnam being “indefinitely postponed” many on the left fear that Johnson is planning to resume his original hawkish stance on Vietnam. This causes serious talk amongst the doves in the Democratic party about running someone against him in the primaries.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2007, 08:05:36 PM »

Unable to live with his conscience any longer, and having feelings of remorse and regret for deceiving the American public over the true story of the bombing of Saigon, National Security Advisor Walt Rostow resigns his position in the Johnson administration on January 2, 1968.

Rostow calls a press conference, at which time he states

"I cannot live with this lie any longer.  It was the top levels of the Johnson administration, myself included, who planned and ordered this deceitful operation of the bombing of Saigon.  We tried to make it look as if Saigon was being bombed by North Vietnam, while it was the United States who were responsible.  All we have succeeded in doing is driving more and more South Vietnamese into the arms of Ho Chi Minh.  I cannot sleep nights knowing how many innocent people, especially helpless children, must have died in the bombings."

"To the American people, I am truly sorry for having deceived you.  I wanted to come clean with the American people."
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2007, 11:30:56 PM »

[Sorry for the long post, hope its alright the way it is.]

Rostow’s admission of guilt in the Saigon bombing and his fingering of the Johnson administration as ordering it causes a bipartisan reaction of outrage  amongst the public. Johnson’s approvals plunge, and editorials around the country from even reliably Democratic papers urge him to resign, though congress for now remains silent. So, to combat the damage, five days after Rostow’s speech he gives one of his own.

“My fellow Americans, You’ve no doubt heard the allegations that have been  levied against me and my administration. I am announcing today that Walt Rostow is a liar, and his allegations are totally and completely fabrications. Moreover, I fully intend to continue to seek a second term for office, and shall not resign under any circumstance.”

Johnson’s speech triggers protests across the country. Walter Cronkite goes so far as to speculate that ”President Johnson has lost touch with reality.” Many Democrats, increasingly unhappy with Johnson, find a new candidate when  Eugene McCarthy announces his run for the white house on the 15th of January. News speculates that other Democrats, such as Robert Kennedy, are also considering running.

Republicans are quite openly happy with the president’s strife, and they grow more and more optimistic about their chances of winning the election. Richard Nixon, the 1960 nominee who was initially leading in the polls for the nomination this time around, but has recently been overtaken by George Romney, decided he needs to go on the offensive. Giving a speach to a crowd in California, Nixon declares that “Lyndon Johnson has misled the country. He needs to resign now, and if he refuses to do this, congress needs to look into impeaching him.” The crowd of partisan Republicans goes wild, and it looks like Nixon may have finally perhaps found a way to overtake Romney for the nomination.
gorkay

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2007, 04:08:07 PM »

I think it's time to get some other candidates into the mix. Romney's vulnerability should encourage others besides Nixon to take the plunge, and LBJ certainly seems vulnerable on the other side. With rumors of McCarthy's imminent entry into the race swirling, RFK decides to strike while the iron is hot and beat him to the punch (pardon the cliches). He announces that he is challenging LBJ for the nomination. On the GOP side, Rockefeller and Reagan are rumored to be thinking about taking the plunge.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2007, 10:26:59 PM »

Vice President Hubert Humphrey, believing that Johnson will not run for the nomination, as his credibility has been dealt a shattering blow by Rostow's revelation, announces that he will be seeking the Democratic Presidential nomination.

Humphrey makes it clear that he was not in on the meetings, nor the decision, to bomb Saigon, and to blame North Vietnam for something the U.S. had done.

Says Humphrey, "I have always been honest and up front with the American people, and, as President, I will continue to be".   
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2007, 11:03:09 PM »

Soon after Senator Kennedy and Vice President Humphrey announce that they will be seeking the 1968 Democratic Nomination, President Johnson announces that he will seek another term as President of the United States.

During his speech, President Johnson labels Senator Kennedy and Vice President Humphrey as "radical communists working for Uncle Ho". The speech alienates even more of his supporter base, which has been losing even more ground since the Saigon bombing.

Polls after the "Radical Communist" speech, as it's know in the Press, indicate that President Johnson's popularity is at an all time low of just 7% with 89% disaproving of the President's job.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2007, 11:17:22 PM »

Wow. This is the LBJ Horror Show. Your worst suspicions about Lyndon Johnson come true!
gorkay

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2007, 05:53:38 PM »

Robert Kennedy jumps into the lead for the Democratic nomination and seems to be well on his way to a first-ballot victory when Marilyn Monroe, who in this scenario was revived from her 1962 suicide attempt and has gone on to become a respected character actress, calls a press conference to reveal that she had affairs with both RFK and his brother JFK. Although Kennedy supporters dismiss her claims as the rantings of a mentally unstable woman, RFK's stock immediately plummets. Meanwhile, on the Republican side, Nixon appears to be far in the lead for the nomination when a group of shady Cuban expatriates is caught nosing around Romney campaign headquarters late one night...

Reluctant Republican

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2007, 06:49:11 PM »

Monroe’s allegations turn the country sharply against Kennedy and  pose a serious threat to his cadency. After consulting with his advisers, Kennedy holds a press conference where he announces his withdraw from the presidential race. “Bobby” believe that the Democrats, still being tied to an unpopular president, will lose and lose badly in this election and he hopes to have four years to rebuild his stock in the party and swoop in in 1972, appearing as the Democratic party’s savior and leading them to victory. His withdraw from the race shocks political analysts on both sides of the political aisle and most see the race between Humphrey and McCarthy, though the increasingly paranoid Johnson still holds the loyalty of enough delegates to perhaps pull off a upset.   

The Democratic race is thrown for a loop however, when Alabama governor George Wallace announces that he too will run for the presidency as a Democrat. A hawk on Vietnam who also opposed the civil rights act of 1964, Wallace could prove to be a strong contender for the Democratic nomination, though most believe he has no shot at gaining the nod.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2007, 06:55:51 PM »

NH Primary:

McCarthy: 42%
Johnson: 21%
Wallace: 14%
Other: 23%
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2007, 07:18:15 PM »

The New Hampshire primary’s big loser is Hubert Humphrey, who finishes with a scant 12% of the vote, just behind a surprisingly strong showing by George Wallace. Humphrey vows to continue his campaign, but his momentum is lost, and he’s no longer taken as seriously by the country. Still, should the convention deadlock, the vice president believes there would be a strong possibility the party would turn to him, and so he still holds out hope that he can be nominated.

Meanwhile, despite Wallace’s relatively strong showing, the real winner of the NH primary is Eugene McCarthy, who beat sitting president Johnson by a 2 to 1 margin. McCarthy now has momentum, though many wonder if he can win over enough delegates to ultimately gain the nomination. Still, the message is clear: President Johnson and the hawks in the Democratic party have been rebuffed. Johnson fumes quietly at his humiliating defeat, but is not in a position to do much about it. He has his hands full with the war.

But on March 16th everything changes. word comes out that Lyndon Johnson has suffered a heart attack. The nation anxiously awaits for news on the president's condition.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2007, 07:59:19 PM »

Word comes from doctors: Johnson is in stable condition, but he will be incapacitated for 4-6 weeks. Thus, Hubert Humphrey takes over as Acting Presdent. His first act is to order a withdrawal of 90% of US troops from Vietnam by the end of the month.

Military men condemn this act as rash, and there is a widespread belief that this action has been taken to bolster his own campaign for President. Nevertheless, the move pays off, and by the time Johnson has resumed his duties, Humphrey has stolen much of his fellow Minnesotan McCarthy's thunder.

Opinion polling:

Humphrey: 32%
Wallace: 21%
Johnson: 20%
McCarthy: 19%
Other: 8%
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2007, 08:08:36 PM »

New polling comes out, and it shows a weird boost for Johnson

Opinion polling:

Humphrey: 26%
Wallace: 23%
Johnson: 23%
McCarthy: 20%
Other: 9%
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2007, 08:16:35 PM »

Johnson's "surge" is attributed to sympathy over his heart attack.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2007, 02:13:16 AM »

The surge of support does not mean votes for LBJ. He is not a viable candidate in the eyes of voters or the party. Humphrey's gamble in Southeast Asia has really paid off for him. HHH is given widespread credit for beginning to end the war, and thus silences critics that he would simply follow Johnson's course. McCarthy's support fades almost entirely as the days go by. Humphrey also announces his Full Employment Act (eight years early). He desires to bring the unemployment rate down to only 3.5%. His labor support rises and begins costing Wallce some of his support.

Opinion polling:

Humphrey: 51%
Wallace: 22%
McCarthy: 9%
Johnson: 5%
Others: 10%
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies