Britain's Gordon Brown: Channelling Paul Martin?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:06:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Britain's Gordon Brown: Channelling Paul Martin?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Britain's Gordon Brown: Channelling Paul Martin?  (Read 1290 times)
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 25, 2007, 03:18:40 PM »
« edited: November 26, 2007, 12:46:36 AM by Kevin »

As the aristocratic Castilian philosopher George Santayana famously said, "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

This is the curious fate of Britain's dour, Presbyterian prime minister, Gordon Brown. He seems condemned to repeat the past, even if it is one from another country and likely unremembered by him, but which he might want to study.

The country is Canada and the instructive history is that of Paul Martin.

The two men — Brown and Martin — share much in common. Both seemed destined for power at an early age: Martin as the son of a powerful minister denied the prime ministership; Brown as a Scottish wunderkind who dominated university politics and then entered the British House of Commons at a relatively youthful 32.

Like Martin, Brown set his sights on the top job. Like Martin, his path was blocked by a more voter-friendly, charismatic rival. In Brown's case, Tony Blair.

To complicate the plot further, Brown and Blair started out as close colleagues, sharing a House of Commons office, almost friends.

Brown was the more experienced politician, the man who took on the role of elder brother, teaching the somewhat callow Blair the political tricks.

Electoral fate steps in

Then, the leader of their party, the Labour party, died unexpectedly with power in sight.

Labour had been in opposition for 15 years, the Conservative government was floundering, the next Labour leader would likely become prime minister. The choice was between the political brothers.

There was no leadership contest per se. What developed took place quietly, quickly, one evening over dinner in a restaurant. Blair and Brown faced each other over food, which we can assume they barely noticed, and worked out what came to be known in Britain as "the deal."

Blair would become leader because he could rake in the votes and already had the support of most of the party MPs. Brown would be his senior lieutenant and, on gaining power, the chancellor of the exchequer or minister of finance, with a guarantee that he, and he alone, would decide all the important economic questions.

The tandem

And thus it came to pass. Labour was elected in 1997. Blair became number one; Brown became number one and a half, a finance minister with almost prime ministerial power over the economy.

The tandem was powerful and politically unbeatable. Three election victories in a row. They towered over the landscape. And they came to loathe each other.

Over the course of their reign, each man would send out his advisers to brief journalists against the other.

There were reports of muffled explosions in the chancellor's office. This was Brown fuming and raging in anger against Blair, the man who had usurped Brown's rightful place.

At one point, one of Blair's people let it be known that Brown seemed psychologically damaged. The two men's offices were literally next door to each other on Downing St.

From time to time, Brown would storm into Blair's lair and hurl obscenities at the prime minister.

Ring any bells

Does any of this suggest parallels with a fraught decade in Canadian politics when a prime minister and his minister of finance were loathing, cursing and blaming each other, barely out of public view?

Brown, like Martin 3 1/2 years earlier, finally acceded to the job he had long sought after. Blair, weakened by his role in the invasion and occupation of Iraq, and harried by plots and threats of coups by Brown and his supporters, finally left office after 10 years.

Like Paul Martin, Gordon Brown took up his new role armed with a reputation for economic competence. He was, in his predecessor's memorable phrase, the "great clunking fist" who was going to flatten his Tory opponents with the rightness of his policies. He was bathed in sunny poll numbers. This was just a few months ago, in July 2007.

What could go wrong? Everything, seemingly.

In September, in the midst of the so-called subprime crisis, a British bank called Northern Rock suddenly tottered on the brink of insolvency. Panicked depositors lined up to take out their money, an event that dominated the television news. And Brown's government hesitated.

Within days the crisis was huge. The first British bank in 140 years might go under. In a panic the government eventually said it would guarantee all of the bank's deposits and loans.

When the dust settled, British taxpayers began to realize they could be on the hook for $60 billion. At a stroke, Brown's reputation for fearsome economic competence and prudence crumbled to dust.

Mr. and Mr. Dithers

Later on, as the banking crisis was still unfolding, Brown's advisers floated the idea of an early election.

For a two-week period towards the end of September, the British political class was in the grip of frenzied speculation. Then Brown backed off. He had never seriously thought of going to the polls, he said.

"Brown bottles it," the headlines blared. To bottle is to dither in British slang. Brown had joined Martin as another Mr. Dithers.

Disasters were now Brown's lot. In defiance of all the rules, a civil servant put the personal and banking details of half the population of the country on two CDs and handed them over to a courier to deliver to another branch of his ministry. The CDs disappeared.

After two weeks, the government owned up to the mess. The country's finance minister said it was a catastrophe, but maintained it wasn't his "Black Wednesday."

Black Wednesday was a dark day 15 years ago when the British pound collapsed and the British government spent billions vainly trying to prop it up. The government at the time was Conservative with a reputation for economic competence.

Black Wednesday destroyed that reputation. The finance minister was removed. The government never recovered.

On his own Black Wednesday, earlier this week, Brown stood in the House of Commons and apologized profusely for the lost data. The opposition leader ridiculed him and his government.

The great clunking fist merely flapped while the prime minister flailed. He resembled a harpooned whale. His backbenchers sat glumly while the opposition howled in glee.

The once sunny poll numbers now showed Brown and his party trailing well behind the opposition Conservatives.

In private, the prime minister sulked and withdrew to the safety of a small cabal of advisers. He had spent his life waiting to run affairs and now affairs were running him.

The past, the Canadian past of Paul Martin, was repeating itself in the Britain of Gordon Brown.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/reportsfromabroad/murray/20071122.html
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 03:21:17 PM »

Please at least cite the source of articles when posting them.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 03:54:17 PM »

Please at least cite the source of articles when posting them.

Sorry thanks for reminding me though!
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2007, 04:21:32 PM »
« Edited: November 25, 2007, 04:39:23 PM by Boardbashi »

Why do people feel the need to post badly written* hack pieces here?

*As well as highly inaccurate (a quick read through the dross above seems to show more factual errors and dubious comparisions than actual facts. Well done!) but then almost all articles written by journalists about the politics of another country are highly inaccurate (I've been keeping a file on coverage given to the recent Australian election in the British press. Hilarious stuff). Even about very, very, very basic facts.

To give an example of this, and to provide information that will, in some small way, benefit of the estimate 90% of posters here who think otherwise due to sustained media misinformation, José María Aznar was not defeated in the 2004 Spanish elections. He retired. The PP's candidate for Prime Minister was Mariano Rajoy.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2007, 04:26:30 PM »

I've been keeping a file on coverage given to the recent Australian election in the British press. Hilarious stuff. Even about very, very, very basic facts.

As a regular reader of the Observer on Sundays I can vouch for this truth. The Irish press is little better; though at least the Sunday Times is accurate about Ireland stories as opposed to the other Sunday rags and want-to-be Rags.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2007, 04:27:19 PM »

Maclean's article on the Danish elections earlier this month was hilarious.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2007, 04:41:24 PM »

*As well as highly inaccurate (a quick read through the dross above seems to show more factual errors and inaccurate comparisions than actual facts. Well done!) but then almost all articles written by journalists about the politics of another country are highly inaccurate (I've been keeping a file on coverage given to the recent Australian election in the British press. Hilarious stuff). Even about very, very, very basic facts.

To give an example of this, and to provide information that will, in some small way, benefit of the estimate 90% of posters here who think otherwise due to sustained media misinformation, José María Aznar was not defeated in the 2004 Spanish elections. He retired. The PP's candidate for Prime Minister was Mariano Rajoy.
He retired and was defeated. It's small wonder lazy foreign journalists didn't notice Aznar I had been officially replaced by his clone Aznar II - both major party's election campaigns tried hard to dispel the impression that Aznar was not actually a candidate.Misleading to people who don't know that Presbyterians are the official state religion in Scotland.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
True.
True enough.

I thought Blair shared an office with Dave Nellist?
True.
I am not sure that that is an at all accurate description. Besides, Gordon Brown was already the shadow chancellor at the time.

Third one was... not exactly a narrow shave, but Blair's electoral appeal was certainly much diminished by then.
Loathe may be a strong word (or maybe not) but there's certainly no love lost there anymore. So it goes.
Really? Lol.
Notice the telling absence of a ",like Chrétien" bit here. Another major difference is of course that Chrétien and Martin came from very different wings of the Liberal Party. And if they were ever seen as close political associates, then no one ever told me about it.

In other words, not later on.

Business as usual in the UK, but does look strange from abroad.
Of which paper, I wonder?
Eh, not quite.

Is he seriously trying to claiming these events have similar significance?

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2007, 04:56:21 PM »

It's small wonder lazy foreign journalists didn't notice Aznar I had been officially replaced by his clone Aznar II - both major party's election campaigns tried hard to dispel the impression that Aznar was not actually a candidate.

True enough, but that's no excuse for continuing to print that mistake for years to come. I saw an article mentioning Aznar being voted out of office only the other day...

True.
True enough.[/quote]

Actually this bit is misleading as well; the implication is that Brown is cut from the same cloth as Martin (the plutocrat son of a senior Cabinet Minister), rather than saying that both men were ambitious and had been involved in politics for ages (should be noted that Martin had only been an M.P for, what, two years?, when he ran for leadership of the Liberal Party). No British P.M has been as upper class as Martin for over fourty years (good thing too).
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2007, 05:04:23 PM »

No British P.M has been as upper class as Martin for over fourty years (good thing too).

I would disagree with that but of more concern is the 'good thing too.' Why on earth is it a good thing? Surely the only judge of how capable a politician is should be based on their record?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2007, 06:21:35 PM »

Martin is a shipping magnate. His father was a lynchpin of the Liberal establishment for over thirty years.

Obviously class is a bit different in country's that have aristocracies and ones that don't, but I can't think of any British P.M after 1964 as high up the equivalent social scale as Martin. Son-of-a-lawyer/lecturer and daughter-of-an-Alderman don't really compare. Future P.M's might do, but that's not important to the point.

Because the influence of plutocrats in politics is a bad thing.

Ideally, yes. But I don't think that anyone with a background like Martin's (and I'm including Martin's own career as a plutocrat here; that's the worst part) is capable of being a good politician (wrong phrase, totally wrong phrase, but I know what I mean here) unless they repudiate their background.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2007, 07:26:26 PM »

Ideally, yes. But I don't think that anyone with a background like Martin's (and I'm including Martin's own career as a plutocrat here; that's the worst part) is capable of being a good politician (wrong phrase, totally wrong phrase, but I know what I mean here) unless they repudiate their background.

Personally I think that would be a grotesque requirement to essentially demand that politicians repudiate the circumstances (good or bad) that they were born into and the circles they move in because of those circumstances.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies