Washington a swing state?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:02:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  Washington a swing state?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Washington a swing state?  (Read 9691 times)
Shira

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 03, 2004, 12:46:36 AM »

Can someone explain why WA is considered by the pundits to be a swing state?
Reignman

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -3.65

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2004, 01:01:38 AM »

Because Gore only won it by about 5%, but I don't think it's a vulnerable state.
Shira

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2004, 01:08:31 AM »

Gore  + Nader got 54.27%

Bush + Buchanan got 44.87%
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2004, 01:11:08 AM »

Washington for Kerry = Louisiana for Bush
Bandit3 the Worker
bandit73
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2004, 01:14:07 AM »

Because the pundits don't know what they're talking about.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2004, 02:58:17 AM »

As long as Seattle exists, Washington is a dem state. Tongue
World Order
Spinning Crackpots
Rookie

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2004, 06:18:12 AM »

Washington will go Republican when Louisiana goes Democrat.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2004, 07:05:34 AM »

This will be a fun one to dredge up when Bush wins Washington in November...
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2004, 07:07:24 AM »

hahaha . . . always a possibility.  As "Jesus" stated though, the hurdle will be the Seattle region.  If the Bush campaign can get enough votes from the big city, then yes, there is a chance it would go for Bush.  It will be a tough sell.  Similar in Oregon.  It's just the big city competition which will decide who wins those states.
nomorelies

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2004, 07:23:49 AM »

MODU you "Bill O`Reilly Republcian"

$5,000  that Kerry gets a higher percentage of the vote in Virginia than Bush gets in Washington.

MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2004, 07:33:44 AM »

Anyone else here beginning to think that Nomo and Crackpot might be the same person???  
English

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2004, 09:48:16 AM »

WA is safe for Kerry. +7% I reckon.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2004, 09:51:05 AM »

I think WA will go REP when WI goes REP. Cheesy  I think bush has a good chance in NOV in WA
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2004, 10:50:32 AM »

Bush wont win there, Seattle is too demcratic.  It's not a swing state.  
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2004, 01:13:43 PM »

Because the polls are very, very close, with Bush even winning a few of them.

All of the Dukakis Five (WV, WI, IA, OR, WA) are vulnerable.
John

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2004, 01:28:17 PM »

I hope it goes to bush
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2004, 03:25:11 PM »

hahaha . . . always a possibility.  As "Jesus" stated though, the hurdle will be the Seattle region.  If the Bush campaign can get enough votes from the big city, then yes, there is a chance it would go for Bush.  It will be a tough sell.  Similar in Oregon.  It's just the big city competition which will decide who wins those states.

The city itself is extremely democrat. Republicans don't even run in the local races there, and if they do they get about 10%. The real battle will be the suburbs. They went for Gore last time. Even the rich white ones (the 8th CD).
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2004, 04:50:05 PM »

It will be interesting, because my personal theory is that Gore was somewhat underrated even in post-election analysis (or Clinton's legacy was underrated, one or the other).

Kerry is really in uncharted waters to some degree, and I think some districts are going to come out differently both ways in '04.
millwx

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2004, 05:24:22 PM »

I always preface my poll averages with two points... 1) Polls are both imperfect and merely a snapshot of NOW, not a prediction... 2) My poll averages are 100% objective and may include some polls that are generally considered unreliable (in these averages I refuse to subjectively judge things).

That said, the month-long poll average (fair warning - I do need to update this for some states, but in WA most of the polls are in here) for Washington is Kerry +6.8%.  As far as I'm concerned, that's "close" (less than 10%), but it is not a battleground (less than 5%).

As to why pundits continue to call it that... I don't know.  Self-survival maybe?  The closer they play this election to be, the more viewers they'll get.  But that's somewhat conspiracy theory... something I don't buy into.  For example, as much as I dislike Bush, I strongly disagree with this criticism that the recent terror warnings were politically motivated.  Whether they were useful/wise/etc, I have no idea... I'll leave that to our intelligence folks.  As poorly as they did with Iraqi WMD, they still know a hell of a lot more than any of us here do.  I digress, but my point is, I doubt the pundits are trying to be "clever" to gain attention.  I simply guess they're looking at the 2000 results, where Gore won by only 5% (rounded... it was actually a bit over 5%)... thus, it's within 5%, so they call it a battleground.  Wrong, but simple and objective.
classical liberal
RightWingNut

Political Matrix
E: 9.35, S: -8.26

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2004, 05:59:08 PM »

WA:Kerry::CO:Bush
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2004, 06:08:52 PM »

The problem with Washington is a lack of decent polling.  The last decent poll was Survey USA 2 months ago.
millwx

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2004, 06:40:13 PM »

The problem with Washington is a lack of decent polling.  The last decent poll was Survey USA 2 months ago.
Since the SUSA we've had: A POS, a Mason-Dixon, two Moores, and a Fairbank-Maslin-Maullin.  Granted, most of these were just after the SUSA, and I'm not sure how "decent" Moore or Fairbank-Maslin-Maullin are, but...

An average of just the POS and Mason-Dixon yields Kerry +5.0%.
An average of all of the above yields Kerry +3.8%.
An average of everything since SUSA (including Rasmussen and Zogby's) yields Kerry +6.0%

BTW, in case you're concerned about any partisan biases, just FYI... of the above listed firms, Fairbank-Maslin-Maullin is a Dem firm, Moore is a Rep firm (is POS as well?).  FYI, there are some indication of partisan bias... Fairbank's one poll has Kerry +8%,  Moore's two average at Kerry +1%.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2004, 07:13:50 PM »

Since the SUSA we've had: A POS, a Mason-Dixon, two Moores, and a Fairbank-Maslin-Maullin.  Granted, most of these were just after the SUSA, and I'm not sure how "decent" Moore or Fairbank-Maslin-Maullin are, but...

An average of everything since SUSA (including Rasmussen and Zogby's) yields Kerry +6.0%

BTW, in case you're concerned about any partisan biases, just FYI... of the above listed firms, Fairbank-Maslin-Maullin is a Dem firm, Moore is a Rep firm (is POS as well?).  FYI, there are some indication of partisan bias... Fairbank's one poll has Kerry +8%,  Moore's two average at Kerry +1%.

POS did a poll?  Not that I am aware of.  Link, please.  I am also unfamiliar with the Fairbank-Maslin-Maullin poll.

The Mason Dixon was one they did for a client, which means teh client wrote it.  Still probably a good poll, but unlikely to be up to the usual MD standards.

Moore is not a good firm, they let their bias get in the way of good polling.  POS is a Republican firm, but they (generally) don't let partisanship get in teh way of putting out a good poll and getting a good reputation.

The only polls I am familiar with are the Rasmussen, Zogby and the Moore polls.  None of which I consider reliable.
Shira

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2004, 07:21:30 PM »

Do you really believe that this is the problem?
Do you think that Bush would be able to close an almost 10 points gap?
millwx

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2004, 07:53:09 PM »

POS did a poll?  Not that I am aware of.  Link, please.  I am also unfamiliar with the Fairbank-Maslin-Maullin poll.

The Mason Dixon was one they did for a client, which means teh client wrote it.  Still probably a good poll, but unlikely to be up to the usual MD standards.

Moore is not a good firm, they let their bias get in the way of good polling.  POS is a Republican firm, but they (generally) don't let partisanship get in teh way of putting out a good poll and getting a good reputation.

The only polls I am familiar with are the Rasmussen, Zogby and the Moore polls.  None of which I consider reliable.
Tredrick, I've got the POS poll from the PollingReport subscription service, so I can't give you link that'll work.  No matter... new SUSA poll just out (see the other thread).  Kerry +8%.  Assuming a bit of a "bounce", this validates the other polls with +5%.  Simply put... Washington is not a battleground.  As I said... "close"?  Yes.  "Battleground"?  No.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies