20 year old arrested for stealing 220 Campaign signs
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 01:05:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  20 year old arrested for stealing 220 Campaign signs
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: 20 year old arrested for stealing 220 Campaign signs  (Read 3337 times)
Smash255
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 07, 2007, 03:16:02 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/ny-lisign1107,0,6083164.story
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 04:03:36 AM »

Good!  Charge him w/ the max!  I HATE people who steal signs - and I can't wait to catch my first sign-stealer.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 04:13:10 AM »

Good!  Charge him w/ the max!  I HATE people who steal signs - and I can't wait to catch my first sign-stealer.

Considering he was stealing Democratic signs I thought you would approve.

Its something that happens quite a bit, but generally not to this extent. 
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 08:01:39 AM »

It shouldn't be an "it's ok if it happens to your party" issue.  My only problem with these signs is that the campaign staff litter our streets with them, putting 20+ on a single median strip, only to be obscured by 20+ by his/her challenger.  They get in the way of public works that have to come through, pull up all the signs, and mow the grass.  Generally, they do not replace the signs once they are done, so are they guilty of stealing as well, or are they doing their job by removing the litter?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 04:12:14 PM »

It shouldn't be an "it's ok if it happens to your party" issue.  My only problem with these signs is that the campaign staff litter our streets with them, putting 20+ on a single median strip, only to be obscured by 20+ by his/her challenger.  They get in the way of public works that have to come through, pull up all the signs, and mow the grass.  Generally, they do not replace the signs once they are done, so are they guilty of stealing as well, or are they doing their job by removing the litter?

A clean median is better than free speech any day.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 04:17:49 PM »

You better believe it!
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 04:40:33 PM »

He basically stole other people's trash. Kid's stuff.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 05:58:17 PM »
« Edited: November 07, 2007, 06:00:11 PM by Jake »

Uh, yeah. If you're a candidate, you should be finding willing people to hang signs on their house, in their yard, in their windows, or on their balconies rather than sticking them all over the highways and medians, never to be collected.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2007, 07:01:30 PM »

Story on News 12

As it turns out this guy is a republican Committee member, works for the Town of Oyster Bay, an is an Assistant to Oyster bay Supervisor John Venditto.  He also happens to be the grandson of Republican Joseph Cloby (sp?) a former Oyster Bay Supervisor.

Story on News 12

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5u5S9gz0FWc
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2007, 07:34:33 PM »

Its something that happens quite a bit, but generally not to this extent. 

Actually, when I challenged the Taylor ordinance officer about ignoring CLEAR Democratic violations (like have 20 signs on the easement), I removed about 100 illegal Republican signs and brought them back to the Victory Center over the span of 2 months.

Wow - I just realized I said "sing-stealer" - should've been sign-thief - my bad.  Tongue
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2007, 07:35:52 PM »

Am I the only person on Atlas who gets annoyed by campaign signs and has a desire to use them as shotgun target practice?
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2007, 09:47:59 PM »

Story on News 12

As it turns out this guy is a republican Committee member, works for the Town of Oyster Bay, an is an Assistant to Oyster bay Supervisor John Venditto.  He also happens to be the grandson of Republican Joseph Cloby (sp?) a former Oyster Bay Supervisor.

Story on News 12

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5u5S9gz0FWc

IT WASN'T ME!  hahaha . . . all I took home with me was a bag of candy.  Tongue
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2007, 12:52:56 AM »

That's a fairly expensive sign. It's too much for a typical yard sign, and it's high for a large 4x4 sign. I wonder how big it was?
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2007, 01:41:50 AM »

That's a fairly expensive sign. It's too much for a typical yard sign, and it's high for a large 4x4 sign. I wonder how big it was?

Not sure the size, but with it being on the property of a diner as opposed to a yard sign you would see on someone's lawn it likely was a bit larger.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2007, 09:00:03 AM »

Could have been one of those 8' x 5' signs that we have all over down here.  Many store/shop owners put them up, as well as the various parties on undeveloped street corners.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2007, 09:05:07 AM »

Not sure the size, but with it being on the property of a diner as opposed to a yard sign you would see on someone's lawn it likely was a bit larger.
It still seems expensive. Signs are ususally bought in bulk production runs. Typical yard signs should be around $2 to $4. A 4 foot by 4 foot sign on hard corrugated plastic costs about $20 - $30. This sounds like a 4 x 8 sign without any production discounts, or it had photo images or multi-color designs.

Could have been one of those 8' x 5' signs that we have all over down here.  Many store/shop owners put them up, as well as the various parties on undeveloped street corners.
This isn't a size I'm familiar with. 4 x 8 is more common with printers around here.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2007, 09:43:11 AM »

This isn't a size I'm familiar with. 4 x 8 is more common with printers around here.

They might be 4' x 8'.  From the street they look a bit taller, but you could be right.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2007, 07:32:30 PM »

My friend told me about somebody who kicked down a sign because it was obstructing his view while driving. Big deal.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2007, 11:55:16 PM »

My friend told me about somebody who kicked down a sign because it was obstructing his view while driving. Big deal.

Still going on someone's private property to steal something is illegal.  Not to mention this guy happens to be a Republican operative and stole a bunch of Democratic signs, including signs of the opponent this guy is an assistant for.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2007, 03:19:42 AM »

Still going on someone's private property to steal something is illegal.  Not to mention this guy happens to be a Republican operative and stole a bunch of Democratic signs, including signs of the opponent this guy is an assistant for.

If it was obstructing his driving, it was probably on the easement, in which case he should've reported the violation to the ordinance officer.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2007, 09:40:50 PM »

This shlep makes $41,509 a year working for the Oyster bay Town's park Department as "Equipment Operator 1"
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2007, 11:13:31 PM »

This shlep makes $41,509 a year working for the Oyster bay Town's park Department as "Equipment Operator 1"

ACK.  On Long Island, that's not much.  Must still live with his parents.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2007, 12:43:50 AM »

ACK.  On Long Island, that's not much.  Must still live with his parents.

How many other 20 year olds are making that kind of $$?? (well legally anyway)  Something tells me if he and his family did not have close ties to the Nassau County and Town of Oyster Bay Republican Parties he would not have the job he has now.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2007, 04:07:39 PM »

How many other 20 year olds are making that kind of $$?? (well legally anyway)  Something tells me if he and his family did not have close ties to the Nassau County and Town of Oyster Bay Republican Parties he would not have the job he has now.

Most people out there have parents with connections in all avenues of the economy, and not limited solely to Republicans (there is more to life than politics).  Anyway, I don't know what his college background is, but he could easily have an Associates Degree already have an entry job at a decent company.  Heck, entry level jobs down here in my business (with limited college experience) is $30K.  Given the cost of living increase of Long Island, his income is in line.
Friz
thad_l
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: -9.74

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2007, 04:10:12 PM »

I'm all for stealing W'04 stickers.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length