Northeast Propositions for the month of November
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 07, 2024, 01:23:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Northeast Propositions for the month of November
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Northeast Propositions for the month of November  (Read 1894 times)
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 01, 2007, 03:12:40 PM »

It's time once again for any citizen of the Northeast to propose any piece of legislation they want. For a proposed piece of legislation to make it to the November ballot, it requires the signatures of three Northeast citizens. There will be two weeks to propose and sign legislation. Once those two weeks are up, a vote will take place the weekend of November 17-19. You may begin proposing legislation now.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 08:07:30 PM »

Metric System Bill
1. The Northeast Government shall convert to use of the Metric system in all relevant affairs, effective two months after passage.

X Marcus Brutus
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 08:41:18 PM »
« Edited: November 03, 2007, 09:45:18 PM by Verily »

Death Penalty Reform Bill
1. The death penalty is abolished within the bounds of the Northeast Region for all crimes excepting first-degree murder.
2. The death penalty shall only be applied in cases tried by the highest court in the state in which the case is tried, and no others.
3. The death penalty shall not be applied in murder cases without substantial DNA evidence.
4. All persons currently sentenced to death for crimes other than first-degree murder or for first-degree murders without DNA evidence shall have their sentences commuted to life in prison without parole.
5. All non-first degree murder crimes currently carrying a maximum penalty of death shall have a maximum penalty of life in prison without parole instead.

X Verily

(I知 assuming that war crimes and treason would be tried at the federal level and are thus out of the jurisdiction of the Northeast. Is this correct?)

And X Verily on the metric system bill.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 09:01:13 PM »

1. The death penalty is abolished within the bounds of the Northeast Region for all crimes excepting first-degree murder.
2. The death penalty shall only be applied in cases tried by the highest court in the Northeast Region, and no others.
3. The death penalty shall not be applied in murder cases without substantial DNA evidence.
4. All persons currently sentenced to death for crimes other than first-degree murder or for first-degree murders without DNA evidence shall have their sentences commuted to life in prison without parole.
5. All non-first degree murder crimes currently carrying a maximum penalty of death shall have a maximum penalty of life in prison without parole instead.

X Verily

(I知 assuming that war crimes and treason would be tried at the federal level and are thus out of the jurisdiction of the Northeast. Is this correct?)

I will look into the different crimes which I believe warrant the death penalty. First degree murder is one of them. As per treason and such I would check with the Attorney General.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 09:39:37 PM »

I sign both
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 12:08:27 AM »

Metric System Bill
1. The Northeast Government shall convert to use of the Metric system in all relevant affairs, effective two months after passage.

X Rockefeller Republican
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2007, 10:46:12 AM »

I sign both.

X Colin Wixted
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2007, 02:52:55 PM »

2. The death penalty shall only be applied in cases tried by the highest court in the Northeast Region, and no others.

X Verily

X Hashemite
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2007, 08:04:52 PM »

X Verily

I urge you to revise this.

The highest court in the northeast is the CJO's court, and in that capacity you would have an appellate court, handing out something that in american jurisprudence (and which I think should be continued here) is undertaken at the trial level.

The only time a CJO would act as a trial court would be if a forum atlasian member "killed" another forum atlasia member.

You may wish to revise, saying any death sentence gets an automatic review, if so chosen by the condemned, by the CJO.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2007, 09:45:01 PM »

X Verily

The highest court in the northeast is the CJO's court, and in that capacity you would have an appellate court, handing out something that in american jurisprudence (and which I think should be continued here) is undertaken at the trial level.

The only time a CJO would act as a trial court would be if a forum atlasian member "killed" another forum atlasia member.

You may wish to revise, saying any death sentence gets an automatic review, if so chosen by the condemned, by the CJO.

Changed to the highest court in the state in which the case is tried. (Presumably, state Supreme Courts have survived into Atlasia.)
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2007, 03:35:31 PM »

X Verily

Changed to the highest court in the state in which the case is tried. (Presumably, state Supreme Courts have survived into Atlasia.)

There are no state courts in Atlasia. There are regional courts and the Supreme Court of Atlasia.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2007, 03:46:51 PM »

X Verily

There are no state courts in Atlasia. There are regional courts and the Supreme Court of Atlasia.

That would imply that there are no lower criminal courts at all, which is clearly not the case.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2007, 03:54:07 PM »

That would imply that there are no lower criminal courts at all, which is clearly not the case.

That's a big ambiguity/problem as I see it.  So far, our courts havent had to deal with an appellate decision arising from a real life court.  Certainly the absence of such action implies that real life courts exist and work along side atlasian courts to deal with legal issues, but i think this is problematic for a few reasons.

1.  The relationship between the United States and Atlasia isn't entirely clear.  What effect does American common and stautory law have on atlasia?  And how does Atlasian law interplay with potentially conflicting US/State law?

2.  Could Verily or anyone else take a real life issue/case and bring it into Atlasian court?  If so, what law applies?  How good are our judges going to have to be to interpret REAL law?

3.  What can we do to solve these problems?  I'm not quite sure.  Frankly the senate and the state governments, should at this point, spend more time on this issue than some of the crap that's generally staining the senate floor in my humble opinion.  For games like this to work, you have to have a solid procedural/legal/rules based foundation ontop of which the left/right, authoritarian/libertarian arguements can be fought on.  I don't know if Atlasia has a strong enough foundation yet.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2007, 12:49:26 PM »

Until we've reached some sort of resolution regarding the issue of lower courts, I will withdraw the Death Penalty Reform Bill and ask that Gov. MAS put a moratorium on all executions in the Northeast until legislation can be considered in regards to them.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2007, 03:07:53 PM »

Will you be introducing a bill/amendment dealing with the issue?
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2007, 04:07:14 PM »

Until we've reached some sort of resolution regarding the issue of lower courts, I will withdraw the Death Penalty Reform Bill and ask that Gov. MAS put a moratorium on all executions in the Northeast until legislation can be considered in regards to them.

I will consider the Senator's suggestion in light of his withdrawal of the piece of legislation.  Verily, I urge you to work with Bullmoose on this issue, I think together you guys can hammer out a good bill to present to the people of the Northeast.

I also hope you will consider my statements in my office thread concerning the other pieces of legislation.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2007, 04:39:22 PM »

I am not certain how exactly we would go about this; honestly, it seems to be more of an issue for the judiciary, odd as that might sound. In my opinion, the Senate cannot simply state that courts have always existed by fiat.

Since this goes outside of the constitution of Atlasia and into the framework of its founding, what we might really need is a ruling by... the GM. And that opens a whole different can of worms.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2007, 05:59:21 PM »

I am not certain how exactly we would go about this; honestly, it seems to be more of an issue for the judiciary, odd as that might sound. In my opinion, the Senate cannot simply state that courts have always existed by fiat.

Since this goes outside of the constitution of Atlasia and into the framework of its founding, what we might really need is a ruling by... the GM. And that opens a whole different can of worms.

We could have some sort of constitutional amendment that basically says,
I. All state trial courts are now the trial level courts of of the region in atlasia they are physically located unless qualified in some other section of this amendment

II. All state appellate level courts, including state supreme courts, shall be appellate level courts in the region unless qualified in some other section of this amendment  AND the highest regional level judicial officer or court of that atlasian region shall be the highest judicial authority in that region [higest appellate level court].

III. All federal trial courts and appellate are now the trial and appellate level courts, respectively, of atlasia they are physically located unless qualified in some other section of this amendment.  The Atlasian Supreme Court shall be the highest authority and court of final appeal of Atlasia.

IV. Qualifications, provisions of this amendment shall apply UNLESS a named party in the action at bar is a member of Atlasia

Thats a basic frame work that needs to be massaged  (Definitely, I wrote this in 2 minutes, it may have several errors)...but thats how, as a starter, you could do it.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2007, 06:56:36 PM »

Hmmm... I'll work on it, and see if I can introduce something in the next couple of days. The current budget deadlock stemming from the lack of a Pacific Senator is halting Senate progress anyway.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2007, 03:49:31 AM »

You have a week to propose legislation for the Northeast November ballot. There are two pieces of legislation on the ballot that Northeast citizens will vote upon on the weekend of November 17-19.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2007, 12:30:25 AM »

Citizens of the Northeast,

You have one day left. You know what to do.

Thanks,

Rockefeller Republican
Lieutenant Governor of the Northeast
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2007, 12:49:05 AM »

I'm going to try to come up with something to vote on, at least, tomorrow.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2007, 03:25:43 PM »

My fellow citizens of the Northeast,

You cannot propose any more legislation for the November Props ballot. I say this, because the two weeks is up. We'll be having two propositions that will appear on the Northeast ballot this November. And they are the following:

• Death Penalty Reform Bill

• Metric System Bill

A vote on these two propositions will occur on this weekend of November 17-19. I remind citizens of the Northeast to vote as well. But I'm sure most of you will anyway Wink

Thanks for your time,

Rockefeller Republican
    Lieutenant Governor of the Northeast
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2007, 03:27:31 PM »

The death penalty bill, for now, has been withdrawn.

Or so I thought
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2007, 03:32:55 PM »

The death penalty bill, for now, has been withdrawn.

Or so I thought

I don't think it's been withdrawn from Verily. I was looking the thread over and I couldn't see anywhere that stated he'd be withdrawing it. Though he did say, he'd work on the Death Penalty Reform Bill on November 7.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies