Day 207: Bruce George
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:16:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Day 207: Bruce George
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Day 207: Bruce George  (Read 766 times)
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 31, 2007, 07:20:19 AM »
« edited: November 02, 2007, 03:04:55 PM by Silent Hunter »

Lab, Walsall South.
merseysider
militant centrist

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 02:52:30 PM »

I think you've got mixed up - Bruce George is the Labour MP for Walsall South (it's Andrew George who's the LibDem)

He's a classic Labour right-winger who's been around since the 1970s. He's something of an authority on military matters and was a staunch advocate of NATO even back in the 1980s when the Labour party went loony-left and was advocating unilateral nuclear disarmament.

When I was at university there was someone in our Labour club from his constituency who rated him very highly.

I would imagine he must have some personal vote - this was a Labour gain by just 1500 votes in 1974, but he was able to hold on in 1979 when Thatcher came to power, and in the electoral armageddon of 1983.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 02:55:47 PM »

I wouldn't draw conclusions from a comparison of pre- and post-83 in a suburban seat. The chance that the two versions of it have much to do with each other is quite slight.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 03:05:17 PM »

Duly edited.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 04:04:42 PM »
« Edited: November 02, 2007, 04:16:23 PM by Boardbashi »

I wouldn't draw conclusions from a comparison of pre- and post-83 in a suburban seat. The chance that the two versions of it have much to do with each other is quite slight.

Walsall South wasn't changed that much in the '83 review; the big change there came in 1974 when a load of affluent commuterland was taken from the seat and replaced with Darlaston.

The core of the seat isn't suburban, btw. East of the seat is though.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 04:28:31 PM »

As for George himself; not much to add to what's been said before, but I might as well add that he's Welsh. Given it's reputation for being, how shall we say, a little insular, the Black Country has had a surprising number of M.P's from outside the area/don't exactly fit in with other stereotypes about it; the incumbent Tory George beat in '74, Henry d'Avigdor-Goldsmid, was Jewish. Winnick and Spellar are both Londoners, I'm pretty sure that Peter Snape was from Stockport, Betty Boothroyd is from Yorkshire (surname a dead give-away there o/c), Andrew Faulds was an actor (!) and born in Tanzania, while Ross Cranston is an Australian.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies