Meet the Press Interview
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:32:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Meet the Press Interview
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Meet the Press Interview  (Read 3868 times)
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 08, 2004, 01:42:50 PM »

Just curious as to what people thought of Bush's MTP interview today.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2004, 02:36:14 PM »

Russert didn't really go after him.

I don't see why Bush did the interview, kind of stupid to me.  If Russert had asked Bush a question that Bush didn't expect to be asked, he could have said some stupid things (like 'bring 'em on').
Demrepdan

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2004, 03:03:03 PM »

It seemed to me that Bush kept using the same excuse for Iraq. And Bush knew this...because he himself even said.."I don't wanna sound like a broken record here..but...."

Whenever Russert questioned him about involvement in Iraq...should we have gone.....were there WMD's...did we know....and so on.....Bush would just reply with the SAME answer.

"Saddam Hussein was a POTENTIAL threat to the United States. And we did all we could do....so we had to go to war."

He just re-phrased it for each question.

On a side note...I didn't like President Bush's response to Russert's question....."Are you prepared to lose?"

Bush said.."I'm not gonna lose...I'm postive we'll win."

I know the man is trying to keep confidence and everything....and he doesn't wanna say something that will dampen spirits...but come on...wasn't that a bit too much?

If I were President....and someone asked me a question like that.....I would respond with something like..."I'm prepared to serve the American people. I prepared to honor any decision they make. And I hope their decision is to allow me to continue on with my job as President of the United States. And I promise you one thing, Tim, I will serve this country, as President, with the BEST of my abilites, until the time comes when I am out of office...whether it be in a year...or in four years...or even by my own death..I will do my job as President regrardless of what happens to my tenure as President."
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2004, 03:04:38 PM »

It seemed to me that Bush kept using the same excuse for Iraq. And Bush knew this...because he himself even said.."I don't wanna sound like a broken record here..but...."

Whenever Russert questioned him about involvement in Iraq...should we have gone.....were there WMD's...did we know....and so on.....Bush would just reply with the SAME answer.

"Saddam Hussein was a POTENTIAL threat to the United States. And we did all we could do....so we had to go to war."

On a side note...I didn't like President Bush's response to Russert's question....."Are you prepared to lose?"

I know the man is trying to keep confidence and everything....and he doesn't wanna say something that will dampen spirits...but come on...wasn't that a bit too much?

If I were President....and someone asked me a question like that.....I would respond with something like..."I'm prepared to serve the American people. I prepared to honor any decision they make. And I hope their decision is to allow me to continue on with my job as President of the United States. And I promise you one thing, Tim, I will serve this country, as President, with the BEST of my abilites, until the time comes when I am out of office...whether it be in a year...or in four years...or even by my own death..I will do my job as President regrardless of what happens to my tenure as President."

Good answer, keep that ready for the debate... Smiley
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2004, 03:18:55 PM »

You really are gearing up for that 2032 run, aren't you? Wink

Heck, I'd vote for you.
Demrepdan

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2004, 03:21:45 PM »
« Edited: February 08, 2004, 03:28:40 PM by Demrepdan »

Heck, I'd vote for you.

lol...thank you for your support......I guess I got two votes so far..... Wink

by the way..it was 2036...not '32.....although if you wanna vote for me in 32...by all means do so... Smiley
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2004, 03:46:40 PM »

Heck, I'd vote for you.

lol...thank you for your support......I guess I got two votes so far..... Wink

by the way..it was 2036...not '32.....although if you wanna vote for me in 32...by all means do so... Smiley

You'd get my vote as well. So that's 2 foreigners not allowed to vote lined up behind you... Wink
zachman

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2004, 05:38:54 PM »

I don't think Bush's image as a wartime president can last. He has to put too much effort into defending the war, and is always talking about America's millitary choices of the past. It is clearly too much effort to defend the war, although I think he did defend it successfully on MTP today.

That was a tremendous answer Demrepdan, you have earned my vote.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2004, 05:56:11 PM »

I don't think Bush's image as a wartime president can last. He has to put too much effort into defending the war, and is always talking about America's millitary choices of the past. It is clearly too much effort to defend the war, although I think he did defend it successfully on MTP today.

That was a tremendous answer Demrepdan, you have earned my vote.

Ah, and you will actually have the right to vote, so your vote is worth a lot more!
NHPolitico

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2004, 11:19:17 AM »

It wasn't that great. He got better as it went along, though. Wasn't as sharp and sure as he should have been.
NHPolitico

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2004, 11:21:47 AM »

Good response.

Should Supersoulty fear being outshined by his VP?  

Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2004, 12:21:53 PM »

Good response.

In the next primary, who knows... Wink
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2004, 01:23:37 PM »

This election will be influenced by political advertising far more than by interviews.
Demrepdan

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2004, 05:40:29 PM »

Good response.

In the next primary, who knows... Wink

Nah....first of all..I'm too liberal to win the Republican Primary. Second of all...I'm loyal to Supersoulty..and would not try to make him lose the re-nomination....(assuming we win.....which we will)
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2004, 12:15:45 AM »

Well, we'll see. Personally I think that it will be affected by Bush's job performance a lot more than it will be by advertisements. There is only so much spin that either party can do to obscure the facts.
NHPolitico

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2004, 07:14:25 AM »

Well, we'll see. Personally I think that it will be affected by Bush's job performance a lot more than it will be by advertisements. There is only so much spin that either party can do to obscure the facts.

You'd think so, but no.  The average unemployment rate the 10 months before election day in 1984 was 7.56% and Reagan won handily.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2004, 10:39:28 AM »

So Reagan would have lost if not for all of those "Morning in America" ads?
NHPolitico

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2004, 11:14:20 AM »

So Reagan would have lost if not for all of those "Morning in America" ads?

They didn't hurt!
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2004, 11:18:33 AM »

Right, but I highly doubt that an 18% victory in a Presidential Election could be achieved soley through advertising.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2004, 03:49:33 PM »

I have a fake news paper called the onion.  I remeber the cover in the 1980's one month was "Reagan proclaims 'late afternoon in america', takes nap."  It was pretty funny.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies