Is the GOP moving too far right?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 12:05:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Is the GOP moving too far right?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Is the GOP moving too far right?  (Read 9252 times)
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2004, 12:36:16 AM »
« edited: August 02, 2004, 12:36:32 AM by Southwest AFRNC Chairman Josh22 »

You can't ban a party from a democracy!

Wrong. Germany (and possibly Canada too) has banned Far Right parties.

That is stupid and is not a democracy at all.. it is a dictatorship
Bandit3 the Worker
bandit73
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2004, 12:39:08 AM »

I'd hate to break this to you, but modern Germany is one of the more democratic countries these days. And the government there would have very little patience with the type of racist B.S. the Republicans pull in America.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2004, 12:43:53 AM »
« Edited: August 02, 2004, 12:44:21 AM by Southwest AFRNC Chairman Josh22 »

I'd hate to break this to you, but modern Germany is one of the more democratic countries these days. And the government there would have very little patience with the type of racist B.S. the Republicans pull in America.

So baning a party is a democratic view?? NO that is a dictatorship, like Saddam ban all other parties but his.  And not every republican is racist. This debate is over, because I don't have time to talk to a stupid person like you.
Bandit3 the Worker
bandit73
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2004, 12:48:03 AM »

I'd hate to tell you this, but America is supposed to be a democratic republic, not a pure democracy, anyway.

Once in a while, people have to be protected from themselves, for their own good. And I think we're at that point.

I've seen one of the polls for a referendum that's coming up in my state, and I am shocked that so many people are willing to overturn constitutional law to feed some prejudice they've acquired through the GOP's brainwashing.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2004, 12:54:49 AM »
« Edited: August 02, 2004, 12:56:07 AM by Southwest AFRNC Chairman Josh22 »

I'd hate to tell you this, but America is supposed to be a democratic republic, not a pure democracy, anyway.

Once in a while, people have to be protected from themselves, for their own good. And I think we're at that point.

I've seen one of the polls for a referendum that's coming up in my state, and I am shocked that so many people are willing to overturn constitutional law to feed some prejudice they've acquired through the GOP's brainwashing.

So why not ban the Democrat party? It is getting way to left.. or the Green party? The point is that, we can't ban parties just because we don't agree with them or we think they are to far right or to far left. If the party is like that, sooner or later the people will stop voting for their candidates.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2004, 12:59:26 AM »

Protecting people from themselves for their own good - nothing but the rhetoric of a tyrant.

Who was it that said "I may not like what you have to say, but I'll fight to the death for your right to say it", or something to that effect? Anyways, it is a very wise saying.

Bandit - your intolerance is showing.(not to mention your extremism)

The first amendment:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Advocating the government ban a political party clearly violates Constitutional law.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2004, 01:00:26 AM »

Protecting people from themselves for their own good - nothing but the rhetoric of a tyrant.

Who was it that said "I may not like what you have to say, but I'll fight to the death for your right to say it", or something to that effect? Anyways, it is a very wise saying.

Bandit - your intolerance is showing.(not to mention your extremism)

The first amendment:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Advocating the government ban a political party clearly violates Constitutional law.

Very well said.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2004, 01:03:53 AM »

Dibble,

I think it was Voltaire who first said that quote.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2004, 01:15:16 AM »

Dibble,

I think it was Voltaire who first said that quote.

Correct(looked it up). And the actual quote is "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2004, 01:26:00 AM »

Correct(looked it up). And the actual quote is "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

The actual, actual quote is:  "Je défendrai mes opinions jusqu'à ma mort, mais je donnerai ma vie pour que vous puissiez défendre les vôtres."  Wink
English

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2004, 09:25:53 AM »

They've moved to the right socially and fiscally they're just plain irresponsible. I think trying to ammend the constitution to ban gay marriage is appalling.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2004, 09:26:50 AM »

They've moved to the right socially and fiscally they're just plain irresponsible. I think trying to ammend the constitution to ban gay marriage is appalling.

I agree. They should just leave it to the states to ban if they wish. Kind of like the way it's supposed to be.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2004, 10:11:38 AM »

The should not ban any party. It is not the state's job or the gov't's job. If the people want to make a party that is far left or far right or whatever, that there right.
English

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2004, 10:18:52 AM »

I agree. They should just leave it to the states to ban if they wish. Kind of like the way it's supposed to be.

Yes, it should be down to the individual states to decide. Bush is downright authoritarian.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2004, 10:22:16 AM »

Yes, it should be down to the individual states to decide. Bush is downright authoritarian.

Bush went to far with FMA IMHO. But I can't think of any way to stop activist judges. They have way to much power.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2004, 10:29:13 AM »

As above.

I think the rise to prominence of the most conservative senators in recent times (Lott, Santorum) is an excellent example. I think it is alienating the popular moderates in the party (namely McCain, formerly Jeffords).

I guess all of you were born yesterday, for being anti-abortion and anti-gaymarriage was the NORM in political thinking until the last few decades.
Bandit3 the Worker
bandit73
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2004, 12:29:30 PM »

I guess all of you were born yesterday, for being anti-abortion and anti-gaymarriage was the NORM in political thinking until the last few decades.

Abortion has been legal in the United States for all but about 80 years. It used to be legal (at least in the earlier terms) until the AMA's crusade around 1890.

And gay marriages have been attempted in America since at least 1889.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2004, 12:35:34 PM »

Was it wrong for Israel to ban the Kach?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2004, 12:37:12 PM »

The who?
Brambila
Brambilla

« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2004, 12:46:58 PM »

Abortion has been legal in the United States for all but about 80 years. It used to be legal (at least in the earlier terms) until the AMA's crusade around 1890.

Slavery was legal in the United States for all but about 140 years. It used to be legal until abolitionists' crusade in the 1850s and 60s.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2004, 12:49:33 PM »

These actions were considered taboo among the majority of Americans.  Only in recent US History have they been pushed front and center.....therefore, the GOP is NOT becoming more right wing; rather, it is America that is moving to the left - a trend that began with the 60's movement.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2004, 12:54:39 PM »

Good question. Looked it up. This article explains it: http://www.terrorismanswers.org/groups/kkc.html

Basically, they are Jewish extremists in Israel. They are a VERY small group(being small doesn't mean they should be banned though) but a number of their members were participating in terrorism(against Palestenians) at the time the group was banned. Should they have been banned? All I can say is that I'm not sure, I don't have enough information to truly classify them as a terrorist organization rather than a political group, but many groups do seem to classify them as terrorists.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2004, 12:56:25 PM »

too goddamned far left, imho.  bush spends like a drunken sailor, now.  And those social authoritarian trends evident in the GOP since Nixon are certainly not rightist.  They're leftist.  Somewhere marie antionette is rolling over in her grave.  No self-respecting plutocrat would interfere when two law abiding butt-pirates want to get married.  That the Nixon Strategy plays so well in flyover country is evidence of the fact that all that nimblemindedness is leftist, and appeals to Joe Sixpack and his family of seven.  

You people are as confused as you were two months ago when I last posted here.  Just when you think it's safe to come back.  Pshaw!  another hearty round of misinterpretation and miscommunication.
TheWildCard
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2004, 01:22:51 PM »

too goddamned far left, imho.  bush spends like a drunken sailor, now.  And those social authoritarian trends evident in the GOP since Nixon are certainly not rightist.  They're leftist.  Somewhere marie antionette is rolling over in her grave.  No self-respecting plutocrat would interfere when two law abiding butt-pirates want to get married.  That the Nixon Strategy plays so well in flyover country is evidence of the fact that all that nimblemindedness is leftist, and appeals to Joe Sixpack and his family of seven.  

You people are as confused as you were two months ago when I last posted here.  Just when you think it's safe to come back.  Pshaw!  another hearty round of misinterpretation and miscommunication.

ANGUS! DUDE! WELCOME BACK

Where the heck have ya been man?
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2004, 01:29:10 PM »

long story.  Hawaii mostly.

by the way, Hawaii is NOT reagan country, I'm sorry to say.  No need for States' Rights to put hotsauce on his hat this time.  If I told you some of the OpEd pages head lines in the Honolulu Star during the period after his death, you blood would boil.  Suffice it to say that Hawaiians are niether Libertarians, Plutocrats, religious conservatives, anti-authoritarian conservatives, or any of our other allies.  They're pretty much bought and paid for by the Dems.  I'd put it safely into the Kerry column.

That said, I did enjoy the advantages of authoritarian leftism while I was there.  Oahu island has the best public transit system I have ever used in this country.  Seriously.  And the diving is incredible!  I'm not sure whether the fish vote (after all, it ain't florida) but if they could, they'd probably vote for Democrats, because the Dems have done a pretty good job managing those islands.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies