10-9/07 Debate Rankings
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:27:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  10-9/07 Debate Rankings
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 10-9/07 Debate Rankings  (Read 2305 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 10, 2007, 01:00:16 AM »

Here's a copy of my blog post.  Post your rankings:

OK, some highlights from the debate (without any YouTube links because I couldn’t find them).

Giuliani’s smackdown on Mitt Romney about the unconstitutionality of President Clinton’s use of the line item veto.
Giuliani went an hour and 37 minutes without mentioning that he lowerd crime in NYC.
Chris Matthews failed attempt at a joke against Fred Thompson (I think it was Thompson).
Romney’s joke at Fred Thompson, and Fred Thompson’s knock out comeback.
Giuliani’s failed attempt at a dig against Ron Paul about 9/11 and Paul’s comeback.
Here’s the ratings, best to worst:

Giuliani - Close to first, but he resorted to making his usual argument, and got beaten in a mini-dispute with Ron Paul.
Hunter - General feel-good debate.
Brownback - Same as Hunter.
Ron Paul - overall good, strong job, but he said he wouldn’t support the nominee, and even the Paul people I was with cringed at this.  Had he not have done that, I’d have awarded him 1st place.
Romney - got beaten up early by Giuliani.  Came back slowly, and tried to make a joke about Thompson, but it backfired.  But a very good speaker. 
McCain - he did an average job debating, but the hearing problem seriously accentuated the fact that he’s old and not in the best of health.
Thompson - Generally, not a great speaker - a LOT of “um”s.
Huckabee - Generally just wasn’t that good in this one.  He went on and on too much.
Tom Tancredo - his stuttering problem was quite bad in this debate, and it hurt him pretty bad.
Well, I found a video, so here’s the link, and my favorite quotes: http://video.msn.com/?mkt=en-us&brand=msnbc&tab=m5&rf=http://www.msnbc.msn.com/&fg=&from=00&vid=fbe846f5-8580-47f5-9c44-3e8317dd8be9&playlist=videoByTag:mk:us:vs:0:tag:News_Editors%20Picks:ns:MSNVideo_Top_Cat:ps:10:sd:-1:ind:1:ff:8A

“I was frankly a little nervous about being here tonight.  I was afraid she was going to put a tax on the debate before the end of the night.”  Mitt Romney (4:06)

Romney/Giuliani Smackdown (19:20)

“There are also some bad unions.  I’m probably not gonna name the bad unions, but…”  Mitt Romney (83:00)

Are unions good for America?  “Sure.”  Sam Brownback (85:20)

Tancredo: “Sam, I don’t, your mom, if she was a postal worker, believe me, she didn’t need a union on top of civil service benefits”
Brownback: “Don’t pick on my mother”
Tancredo: “I’m sure she was a sweetheart.”
Brownback: “Leave my mother out of this.”
Tancredo: “Especially with regard to, need I say it, illegal immigration…”
Brownback: “My mother is not an illegal immigrant.”

Chris Matthews: “Took a long time, he said, ‘No,’ he shoulda stopped there.”
Thompson: “Well that’s your opinion Christopher.”
[Awkward Pause]
Matthews: “OK”

Romney: “And this is a lot like Law & Order, Senator.  It has a huge cast, the series seems to go on forever, and Fred Thompson shows up at the end.”
Thompson: “And to think I was gonna be the best actor on the stage.”

Done with my commentary,

Ranting Republican
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 07:27:44 AM »

I agree with you mostly, except that I think Ron Paul's statement that he wouldn't support the nominee if they stood for xyz shouldn't hurt him at all.  What's wrong with saying you aren't going to blindly support whoever the nominee is?  Even if you don't agree with the nominee?  That's foolish to think you should just get behind whoever the nominee is for your party regardless of how closely you agree with he or she on the issues.  Paul's statement on this, IMO, just makes him look even better.

If it wasn't for the fact that the Democrats would label him "stupid," "old," and "looney" (as they do with all Republican presidential candidates, every single election cycle) I think Ron Paul would be the best candidate the Republicans have right now.  He's clearly got the best ideas.

That said, he'd never win in the general.
Bay Ridge, Bklyn! Born and Bred
MikeyCNY

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: -4.87

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 09:35:24 AM »

You strangely forgot to mention Romney's ridiculous comments on consulting his attorneys to attack Iran
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 10:51:55 AM »

You strangely forgot to mention Romney's ridiculous comments on consulting his attorneys to attack Iran

Too true...that was a really odd thing for him to say.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 11:21:42 AM »

Is this really the best the Republican party has to offer?

Fred Thompson certainly is living up to Richard Nixon's evaluation of him "friendly, but dumb as hell".
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 11:41:03 AM »

I agree with you mostly, except that I think Ron Paul's statement that he wouldn't support the nominee if they stood for xyz shouldn't hurt him at all.  What's wrong with saying you aren't going to blindly support whoever the nominee is?  Even if you don't agree with the nominee?  That's foolish to think you should just get behind whoever the nominee is for your party regardless of how closely you agree with he or she on the issues.  Paul's statement on this, IMO, just makes him look even better.

That showed that he is a RINO Libertarian

I missed this.  It got kinda loud @ the debate party toward the end, so this must've been one of the things I didn't here.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2007, 11:47:32 AM »

Well I liked him better for it.

I missed this.  It got kinda loud @ the debate party toward the end, so this must've been one of the things I didn't here.

Hear.

Smiley
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2007, 02:39:48 PM »

Well I liked him better for it.

He was bold, and that's admirable, but not good for a REPUBLICAN debate.
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2007, 05:24:39 PM »

Ron Paul has won every debate he's been in.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2007, 05:33:03 PM »

Ron Paul has won every debate he's been in.

With us, not with Republicans.
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2007, 05:47:33 PM »
« Edited: October 10, 2007, 05:50:31 PM by My Violent Heart »

I'm not so sure about that. If you look at his poll numbers he's consistently gone up. People might not always agree with him (understatement), but most people recognize his performance has been strong.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2007, 06:01:00 PM »

I'm not so sure about that. If you look at his poll numbers he's consistently gone up. People might not always agree with him (understatement), but most people recognize his performance has been strong.

I think he almost won last night, and I can't stand the man.
Bay Ridge, Bklyn! Born and Bred
MikeyCNY

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: -4.87

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2007, 06:50:42 PM »

Paul's got passion and fire in the belly.   I like that.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2007, 07:23:10 PM »

Debate party?  There are parties to celebrate the debates?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2007, 08:24:59 PM »

These debates hardly seem worthy of parties.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2007, 09:43:34 PM »

Um...normal people just like hanging out - and this is another reason to hang out.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2007, 10:33:50 PM »

Um...normal people just like hanging out - and this is another reason to hang out.

Why don't you drop acid and listen to psychedelic records instead like normal kids?
NOLIBS4USA
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2007, 08:36:58 AM »

Mike Huckabee did great as per usual
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies