10/9/07 CNBC/MSNBC/WSJ Republican Debate (First with Fred Thompson)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:01:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  10/9/07 CNBC/MSNBC/WSJ Republican Debate (First with Fred Thompson)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: 10/9/07 CNBC/MSNBC/WSJ Republican Debate (First with Fred Thompson)  (Read 3378 times)
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 08, 2007, 03:18:57 PM »

It airs at 4 PM on CNBC and 9 PM on MSNBC Tuesday night. Use this thread to discuss it.

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2007/10/08/401552.aspx

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21189840/
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 03:30:33 PM »

Very happy there's finally going to be a presidential debate dealing with economic issues. Hopefully there will be better questions than, "Do you want to raise taxes?" I hope Ron Paul will shine in his natural topic.

Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 08:03:04 PM »

I'm still betting on an awful Thompson performance even when taking the very low expectations for him into account.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 02:32:09 PM »

Is anyone here going to be home to watch this live, or are we all catching the replay later on MSNBC?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 02:49:18 PM »

I'm off today so I'm going to try to watch it live. It starts in about ten minutes.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2007, 03:04:07 PM »

First question went to Thompson. He is giving a very vague answer.
M

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2007, 05:25:07 PM »

And then what happened?!?!?!
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2007, 05:29:49 PM »

Ron Paul was phenomenal-with the time he had. However, that being said, they really should have let him respond when Giuliani made his statement about our country being preemptly attacked  on 9/11. But still, he remains the only Republican I can see myself supporting.

Thompson was better then I thought he’d be, and he got a few good sound bites in.  He’s still my least favorite of the Republicans though, but I don’t think he did too badly here. McCain also didn’t do too bad.

Romney and Guiliani getting into a bit of a tussle was really the highlight of the debate IMHO, and I think that Romney came across better. I'm really torn with Romney, he either strikes me as really slimey or incredibly charismatic. I felt the latter way watching this debate.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2007, 05:30:00 PM »

I watched the whole thing. Here is my quick take.

The winners: Giuliani, Romney, Paul, Huckabee

The losers: McCain, Thompson, Brownback

Just there: Hunter, Tancredo
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2007, 05:34:48 PM »

Giuliani wants an FCC for the Internet. Appearantly some websites are still allowed to criticize him.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2007, 05:38:44 PM »

Maybe Giuliani doesn't like the Internet because he's a tad less popular than Ron Paul there:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/21209903
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2007, 05:39:45 PM »

I haven't seen the debate yet, but Byron York of National Review posted this excerpt from an answer by Romney:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I have to think that was a gaffe by Romney.  Please excuse me while I check with my lawyers on whether this military action is legal???  From other sites, it looks like Giuliani and Thompson are already putting out press releases attacking Romney over that flub.

In general though, I think whenever Romney is able to bait Giuliani into going one-on-one with him (as apparently happened in this debate, and as has been going on over the last week in dueling jabs from the two sides), it probably helps Romney.  It creates the impression that this is a Giuliani v. Romney race, with everyone else as window dressing.  That impression probably helps Romney, as the press doesn't always rate Romney as being in the top two, because of his national poll numbers.
Daniel Adams
Georgia

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: 2.43

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2007, 06:21:51 PM »

Rudy Giuliani was probably the winner, although McCain and Huckabee both did very well. There were no complete losers, although Fred Thompson's performance was rather unsatifying. I also noticed Matthews constantly cut Giuliani off (while letting Huckabee for example go way over the time limit). Also, why the hell did he ask Giuliani to sing?!

Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2007, 06:28:23 PM »

Did not watch, will watch later to give impression of thompson.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2007, 06:29:03 PM »

I don't get how anyone could think McCain did well at this one. He seemed especially old and out of it tonight.
Bay Ridge, Bklyn! Born and Bred
MikeyCNY

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: -4.87

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2007, 06:30:30 PM »

Huckabee would be doing a helluva lot better in Iowa and NH if it wasn't for the fact that he's an ordained Baptist minister.

Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2007, 07:23:57 PM »

Giuliani wants an FCC for the Internet. Appearantly some websites are still allowed to criticize him.

[censored]
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2007, 08:14:49 PM »

Mike Huckabee is economically illiterate.  He should go back to Arkansas and sell flat globes.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2007, 08:50:22 PM »

Mike Huckabee is economically illiterate.  He should go back to Arkansas and sell flat globes.

Didn't see the debate, but from what I've seen of his positions, I couldn't agree with you more.  And that's without even getting into any of his non-economic positions...

And regarding your sig...the same F. Thompson / Gov. Ritchie comparison has come to mind for me a few times as well.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2007, 09:38:37 PM »

Most amusing Brownback statement to Tancredo: "My mother is not an illegal immigrant."

McCain went out of his way to criticize ethanol subsidies.  Perhaps he's giving up on Iowa.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2007, 09:51:59 PM »

Paul refuses to make any pledges about endorsing the eventual GOP nominee, unless that nominee promises to withdraw from Iraq.  Interestingly enough, Tancredo also won't pledge to endorse the nominee of the party either.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2007, 09:58:56 PM »

Romney: "This is a lot like 'Law & Order,' Senator. It has a huge cast, the series seems to go on forever, and Fred Thompson shows up at the end."
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2007, 09:59:39 PM »

Although this debate is over in about 5 minutes, Rudy won this debate inasmuch as he performed mediocre in the last one.  Romney came in second, although the "consult the attorneys before bombing Iran" was a fairly big gaffe, IMHO., and he has a problem with coming across robotic.

Thompson outperformed his exceedingly low expectations, but that's not saying much.  He was really nervous and weak early, but improved as the night went on.  He still needs work, though the performance should slightly save his poll numbers (which are close to being back down where they were pre-announcement).  He still puts me to sleep, but Bill CLinton did that too.  I still don't see him but having an outside shot at winning the nomination.

McCain seemed too negative and down all evening.  Must've been an off night.  Similarly, Huckabee didn't perform as well as I think he had in the past.  Too much redneckism for me.  Paul sounded like a lower-tier guy who just raised $5 million dollars, (the money is not backed by gold, mind you, but rather the fractional reserve system) and sounded quite enthused.  He didn't perform that badly, but he never does.  Doesn't mean that will gain him many votes.

Brownback, Hunter, Tancredo?  Why are they still in this race again?

That's all.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2007, 11:14:00 PM »

Most amusing Brownback statement to Tancredo: "My mother is not an illegal immigrant."

I thought it was even better when he was asked who his top economic advisor would be and he said "The former Fed Chair" but couldn't remember Greenspan's name and fumbled around for the rest of his 30 seconds.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2007, 11:26:24 PM »

I missed this, sadly.  I'm waiting for someone to YouTube it.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies