Rep. Jo Ann Davis (R-VA) dies of breast cancer
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:34:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Rep. Jo Ann Davis (R-VA) dies of breast cancer
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Rep. Jo Ann Davis (R-VA) dies of breast cancer  (Read 2924 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 06, 2007, 02:33:33 PM »

Rep. Jo Ann Davis dies of breast cancer

Rep. Jo Ann Davis (R-Va.) has passed away from breast cancer, her office announced Saturday. First elected in November 2000, Davis has been battling breast cancer for several years.

Davis is the fourth House member to die this year, including Reps. Paul Gillmor (R-Ohio), Charlie Norwood (R-Ga.) and Juanita Millender-McDonald (D-Calif.).

Here is the official statement from her office:

"Congresswoman Jo Ann Davis died at her Gloucester home this morning after a courageous battle with breast cancer. She was 57. Davis was first diagnosed with breast cancer in 2005 and had a re-occurrence earlier this year.

Davis had been receiving breast cancer treatment at Duke University and just recently had received positive reports on her condition. However, during the last week Davis’ health took a turn for the worse."

Virginia GOP Chairman John Hager has released a statement on Davis' passing:

“I am deeply saddened to hear of the passing of Congresswoman Jo Ann Davis after her long struggle with cancer. Virginia has lost a passionate advocate for better government, and her legacy as a defender of conservative principles will always be remembered. I pray for her family, and mourn with our friends in the 1st District.”

Davis was a real-estate broker and small business owner before being elected to the Virginia State Assembly in 1996.

In the House, Davis served on both the Foreign Affairs and Armed Services committees.

She leaves behind a husband of more than 31 years, two sons, as well as a granddaughter.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/thecrypt/1007/Rep_Jo_Ann_Davis_dies_of_breast_cancer.html
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007, 02:35:52 PM »

Poor woman...57.

Rest in peace.
Conan
conan

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2007, 02:38:22 PM »

This was unexpected.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2007, 02:57:58 PM »

I am sorry to hear that -this whole time I had no idea she even had breast cancer. 
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2007, 03:15:51 PM »

RIP
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2007, 05:29:48 PM »

Basically Virginia's version of Marilyn Musgrave or Michele Bachmann.

So....no comment.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2007, 05:36:11 PM »

This is unexpected and obviously sad.  There have been a lot of Congressional deaths this year. 
MatthewVA
Rookie

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2007, 09:09:32 PM »

So....no comment.

I'm not glad she's dead - but that's a pretty good description of her. 

Her district is not so heavily Republican that it couldn't turn over, but I don't think a Democratic bench even exists in that district.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2007, 09:16:43 PM »

That's unfortunate—and very sudden.  Best to her family.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2007, 11:16:37 PM »

So....no comment.

Her district is not so heavily Republican that it couldn't turn over, but I don't think a Democratic bench even exists in that district.

The district is actually less Republican(R+9) than MA-05 is Democratic(D+11).  If Republicans somehow manage to win MA-05, I would expect the DCCC to go all out here to try and avenge the loss. 
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2007, 11:48:07 PM »

So....no comment.

How do you get off calling other people trolls when you turn around and make a post like this.  I know this is a political forum but a HUMAN BEING has died.  She may be just another political hack to you but show the woman some respect.  If you don't have anything nice to type then don't type anything at all.

This a sad and tragic event especially given the Congresswoman's relatively young age.  I wish her family and her constituents well.  RIP.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2007, 11:48:50 PM »

RIP
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2007, 01:00:54 AM »

That's unfortunate—and very sudden.  Best to her family.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2007, 09:43:07 AM »

So....no comment.

Her 2006 opponent (who won a whopping 35.5%) made a really idiotic decision to comment about Bush's anti-health care record in his statement of condolences. So that's the state of the 1st District for you.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2007, 02:30:16 PM »

So....no comment.

How do you get off calling other people trolls when you turn around and make a post like this.  I know this is a political forum but a HUMAN BEING has died.  She may be just another political hack to you but show the woman some respect.  If you don't have anything nice to type then don't type anything at all.

This a sad and tragic event especially given the Congresswoman's relatively young age.  I wish her family and her constituents well.  RIP.

Hence the "no comment".
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2007, 03:07:41 PM »

"No Comment" is a comment.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2007, 03:39:50 PM »

And a not-very-veiled insult when it comes to someone dying.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2007, 05:08:27 PM »
« Edited: October 07, 2007, 05:14:17 PM by memphis »

Do we have to go through this every time a politician dies? There are several hundred of them and most are fairly old. If you're going to get offended by a political discussion, don't visit a political forum. If the death of somebody you probably never even heard of really affects you so strongly, take a break from the forum until you can gain some composure. Yes, this is certainly a hard time for the Congresswoman's family, but I really don't think they gain any benefit from the forum going through a fake mourning.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2007, 06:18:49 PM »

So....no comment.

Hence the "no comment".

Hence, you didn't have to post a damn thing. It's sad that you try to shoot her down, even in her unexpected death.  The fact that you did that just makes you a sad, sad little man.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2007, 09:06:09 PM »

This is so sad.  My thoughts and prayers are obviously with her family. 

Anyone else notice that this has not been a good year for the 110th Congress.  At least 3 or 4 Representatives/Senators have passed away.  I pray earnestly that the second session of the 110th Congress will see a lot fewer, if any, deaths of its members.  If anyone can give me an exact figure on the number of deaths of Congressmen, Congresswomen, and Senators, I would appreciate it.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2007, 09:10:26 PM »

Guys...  May I ask that in respect for this lady and her family, that we not discuss her replacement in this thread or the strategies of the political parties.  I would love to talk about it, but at least start a new thread with it.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2007, 10:53:46 PM »

My point exactly.

Do we have to go through this every time a politician dies? There are several hundred of them and most are fairly old. If you're going to get offended by a political discussion, don't visit a political forum. If the death of somebody you probably never even heard of really affects you so strongly, take a break from the forum until you can gain some composure. Yes, this is certainly a hard time for the Congresswoman's family, but I really don't think they gain any benefit from the forum going through a fake mourning.

Its not about mourning or having a lack of emotional composure.  Its about common decency and respect for the deceased.  Just because you didn't know your spinster Great Aunt Muriel personally doesn't mean you talk freely at her funeral about who gets all her money or how the only reason she never married is because she was so loose.  I know the internet tends to be rather impersonal and this is a political forum in which all topics relating to politics will and can be discussed freely.  However, it would be nice if people could just give it a rest until the funeral is over and the special election is announced just to show that we're all still human and not just mindless political hacks.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2007, 11:06:14 PM »

My point exactly.

Its not about mourning or having a lack of emotional composure.  Its about common decency and respect for the deceased.  Just because you didn't know your spinster Great Aunt Muriel personally doesn't mean you talk freely at her funeral about who gets all her money or how the only reason she never married is because she was so loose.  I know the internet tends to be rather impersonal and this is a political forum in which all topics relating to politics will and can be discussed freely.  However, it would be nice if people could just give it a rest until the funeral is over and the special election is announced just to show that we're all still human and not just mindless political hacks.

Family is different. These people are celebrities. I'd be quite content to discuss what Britney Spears has left me (nothing, unfortunately) should she croak. I can't believe you can't see the difference here.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2007, 06:53:14 AM »

I much prefer "his brother was worse" for that.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2007, 06:53:56 AM »

just to show that we're all still human and not just mindless political hacks.

Too late.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies