Putin "to stand in Parliamentary election"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:56:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Putin "to stand in Parliamentary election"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Putin "to stand in Parliamentary election"  (Read 3504 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 01, 2007, 09:40:05 AM »

Just spotted the above on the BBC ticker. Not heard anything else.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 09:50:38 AM »

Ah, here we are:

Putin eyes prime minister's job 

Russian President Vladimir Putin has raised the possibility of becoming a future prime minister by agreeing to enter the December parliamentary polls.
Mr Putin, who must leave office as president next year, said suggestions he might seek to become Russian prime minister were "entirely realistic".

He told a congress of United Russia that he would head the party's list though not actually become a member.

By being on the list he is guaranteed a seat in the next parliament.

Mr Putin is barred from running for a third consecutive term as president by the constitution but could return at a later date. 
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 09:53:16 AM »

So this is how he will most likely secure his "third term", without lifting the term limit for presidents: He will install some figurehead president as his official successor and then continue as new prime minsiter of Russia.
Serenity Now
tomm_86
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 10:43:37 AM »

His last act as President will probably be to drastically increase the powers of the Prime Minister and then reduce those of the President..
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 12:13:48 PM »

Clever of him.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007, 12:23:58 PM »

Not surprising; no one expected him to go quietly, not when he controls the entire country. Now it's just a question of which crony keeps the seat warm for him from 2008-2012(6).
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 12:24:48 PM »

So this is how he will most likely secure his "third term", without lifting the term limit for presidents: He will install some figurehead president as his official successor and then continue as new prime minsiter of Russia.
Ah yeah, doing a Milosevic.
Colbert
France

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2007, 07:24:54 PM »

very good news for russian. Poutine make a fabulous job of "gaullisme" (restore state and social justice, and national independance for his country)
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2007, 10:23:39 PM »

In America, you run in an election.
In Soviet Russia, election runs in you.

Sorry, can't resist that.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2007, 10:33:10 PM »

ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2007, 10:35:11 PM »

very good news for russian. Poutine make a fabulous job of "gaullisme" (restore state and social justice, and national independance for his country)

Why do you hate Russia so much?
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2007, 12:08:35 AM »

I'll never forget that Family Guy episode where Peter buys the Soviet made car. That was so funny. But back to buisness. Putin is shifty that's why he's running for Prime Minister next election, so he can control the next President of Russia. If it was Yeltsin we would all know it would be the vodka going to his brain.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2007, 07:12:18 AM »

Colbert
France

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2007, 09:13:57 AM »

i have to laugh, here?
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2007, 08:33:07 PM »

i have to laugh, here?

Putin certainly isn't doing this to benefit Russia. He's doing it to benefit his own personal power. Russia was finally looking like it might reemerge as a major world player, but instead Putin is making it into an isolationist, hostile state, something no nation can afford to be in an era of increasing international scientific and economic cooperation.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2007, 10:40:36 PM »

i have to laugh, here?

Laugh? No. Smile sadly, I guess.
Jens
Angola

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2007, 08:05:40 AM »

The Russian (aka Putin) version of democracy is getting even more absurd. Why just not pronounce himself "ruler for life" since that is what he really wants
Colbert
France

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2007, 03:30:40 PM »

Jens, i'm afraid you're wrong

world not goes to cooperation and globalization but tu the strike back of state-nations, as the exemples of malaisie, venezuela, bolivia, ecuador, russia, etc.

And our interest, in europe, is to have a strong russia for make OTAN get out of here (it's only my point of view)
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2007, 04:17:03 PM »
« Edited: October 08, 2007, 08:47:37 PM by ag »

world not goes to cooperation and globalization but tu the strike back of state-nations, as the exemples of malaisie, venezuela, bolivia, ecuador, russia, etc.

And our interest, in europe, is to have a strong russia for make OTAN get out of here (it's only my point of view)

There was once a great book called "French SSR". You might want to read it.

Anyway, my question stands: why do you so much hate and despise Malaysians, Venezuelans, Bolivians, Ecuadorans, Russians, etc. Why do you want them all to be miserable?
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2007, 05:05:22 PM »

There was once a great book called "French SSR" by Georgyi Vladimov. You might want to read it.

Actually I can't find any reference to it, in English at least, anywhere. I would like to know what it is about though.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2007, 08:47:14 PM »

Actually I can't find any reference to it, in English at least, anywhere. I would like to know what it is about though.

That's because I am an idiot. To confuse Vladimov w/ Gladilin is unpardonable - shame on my grey hair. Anyway, the author is Anatoly Gladilin - I am sure, you'd find it. It's called "French Soviet Sociallist Republic" - must have been translated.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2007, 10:05:33 PM »

That's because I am an idiot. To confuse Vladimov w/ Gladilin is unpardonable - shame on my grey hair. Anyway, the author is Anatoly Gladilin - I am sure, you'd find it. It's called "French Soviet Sociallist Republic" - must have been translated.

Doesn't seem to have been, it's not on Amazon even as an Out of Print book. All I can find is that its about a Communist coup in France.
Jens
Angola

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2007, 05:51:35 AM »

hummm, I'll take the comment about youth as a compliment. As a man who is not even remotely close to being a teenager anymore you gotta take the compliments you can get Wink

Back on topic, I'll take NATO (as OTAN is abbrevated in English) over a Russian hegemony at any time. At least the Americans have some kind of democracy, while the Russian "democracy" has been run by a drunkard and now by a man who sees him self more as a Savior and Zar than a democratic elected president.

Your comment on Venezuela ect and nationalstates, I just don't get!
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2007, 04:10:32 PM »

hummm, I'll take the comment about youth as a compliment. As a man who is not even remotely close to being a teenager anymore you gotta take the compliments you can get Wink

Back on topic, I'll take NATO (as OTAN is abbrevated in English) over a Russian hegemony at any time. At least the Americans have some kind of democracy, while the Russian "democracy" has been run by a drunkard and now by a man who sees him self more as a Savior and Zar than a democratic elected president.
While the current American President is both these things. Tongue
Jens
Angola

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2007, 01:51:58 AM »

While the current American President is both these things. Tongue

Haha true, but at least he has got a slightly currupt and incompetent congress to counter him.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies