Bayh endorses Clinton for president
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 04:39:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Bayh endorses Clinton for president
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Bayh endorses Clinton for president  (Read 6560 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2007, 03:56:37 PM »

Bayh would be a horrible VP choice. Ever since he decided he wasn't running for President, his voting record has been awful. He voted for the Bush wiretaps, for the Iraq capitulation, for comdemning MoveOn for criticizing Bush's spokesman, and against Feingold-Reid. In a Senate full of war supporters, Bayh ranks 48th on War & Peace according to ProgressivePunch.

Bayh would be an acceptable running mate for Kucinch. Clinton/Bayh is far too third way and far too warmongering.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2007, 03:57:11 PM »

Is that Bill Clinton?
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2007, 06:26:52 PM »

And just for the record, I'm an independent/lean Republican.

What, this nonsense again? Sad
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2007, 07:41:21 PM »

Clinton/Bayh. That is certainly a ticket that will excite the hell out of the left wing base! I know I'm excited!

But where's the proof that the left-wing base actually wins elections? Chances are the ticket that appeals most to the left base (which I don't think is an entirely accurate description of the base) will end up isolating those voters in swing states who decide these things.
When you give Americans a real choice, between Republicans and Democrats, and not Republicans and Republicans-lite, not only is the left-wing base excited, but so are independents and moderates. Continuing running rightist Democrats against rightist Republicans will just hurt the party, and leave the base and the center unexcited.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2007, 09:37:15 PM »

Clinton/Bayh. That is certainly a ticket that will excite the hell out of the left wing base! I know I'm excited!

But where's the proof that the left-wing base actually wins elections? Chances are the ticket that appeals most to the left base (which I don't think is an entirely accurate description of the base) will end up isolating those voters in swing states who decide these things.
When you give Americans a real choice, between Republicans and Democrats, and not Republicans and Republicans-lite, not only is the left-wing base excited, but so are independents and moderates. Continuing running rightist Democrats against rightist Republicans will just hurt the party, and leave the base and the center unexcited.

Well, had the Democrats ran a more rightist, possibly a 'red' state, candidate rather than Kerry in 2004, I dare say Bush may well have had his chips

I've talked about this for as long as I bloody well ... can remember ... ideologically polarised elections gives the GOP an inherent advantage in that conservatives are a significantly larger demographic than liberals, among the electorate at large. While it is true, moderates broke for Kerry 54 to 45, IIRC, it was never going to offset Bush's strength among conservatives, who are, overwhelmingly, Republican.

Of course, there are still some white populist-to conservative Democrats, who remain steadfastly loyal to the Democratic Party (for example, those who are much too 'Southern' to be anything other than Democratic), but they don't quite play the part in the Democratic 'big tent' that they once did

The Republican electorate is conservative rather than moderate; while the Democratic electorate is moderate, rather than liberal

Dave
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2007, 10:10:13 PM »

Down at the Indy Star, it would seem many Hoosiers are livid that Bayh has endorsed Hillary. That's him finished in Indiana politics, blah, blah, blah ... Roll Eyes

I mean what's so bizarre about this given Bayh's a Democrat and, considering the other leading Democratic contenders are probably even more liberal than Hillary, she's the logical choice

Dave
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2007, 08:11:01 AM »

Down at the Indy Star, it would seem many Hoosiers are livid that Bayh has endorsed Hillary. That's him finished in Indiana politics, blah, blah, blah ... Roll Eyes

I mean what's so bizarre about this given Bayh's a Democrat and, considering the other leading Democratic contenders are probably even more liberal than Hillary, she's the logical choice

Dave

When will you be making your endorsement of Hillary official?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2007, 06:48:50 PM »

Btw, following this endorsement news, Bayh has surged in the Dem. VP nominee market on Intrade, and he's now in second place in that market, behind Obama.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2007, 08:04:25 PM »

Btw, following this endorsement news, Bayh has surged in the Dem. VP nominee market on Intrade, and he's now in second place in that market, behind Obama.

Clinton/Bayh ought to be a real winner with the base.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2007, 08:21:51 PM »

Clinton/Bayh ought to be a real winner with the base.
Yeah, I'd vote Green or Bloomberg.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2007, 12:44:40 AM »

Translation: I want the VP slot or a cabinet position.

Aha. Well, at least he's thinking ahead. Tongue
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2007, 07:45:50 PM »

Dave

Making assumptions are we Tongue?

Dave
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2007, 12:01:39 AM »

Dave

Making assumptions are we Tongue?

Dave

Reasonable ones.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2007, 01:09:59 AM »

Tradesports rankings on Democratic Hawk's endorsement

Clinton- 98.4%
Huckabee - 1.6%