WHO SHOULD BE VP ?!?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:48:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  WHO SHOULD BE VP ?!?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: WHO SHOULD BE VP ?!?  (Read 11523 times)
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2004, 06:10:31 PM »

Come on, you guys know you want Kennedy as a runningmate.

Kerry/Kennedy, two northeastern liberals from Mass.

....a republicans dream Wink
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2004, 06:18:18 PM »

Better than Dean?
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2004, 06:31:01 PM »
« Edited: February 10, 2004, 06:33:57 PM by YoungRepub »

Better than Dean?

Good point. Keep forgetting about poor Howie.

Dean/Kennedy

...now there is a republicans dream
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2004, 06:35:41 PM »

Well, who would do worse:

Dean/Edwards

-or-

Kerry/Kennedy?

Probably Kerry/Kennedy.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2004, 06:36:21 PM »

Well, who would do worse:

Dean/Edwards

-or-

Kerry/Kennedy?

Probably Kerry/Kennedy.

Agreed.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2004, 06:37:46 PM »

Dean/Kennedy would do worse than Kerry/Kennedy though, I think.  Probably about the same though: Dean might take VT, MA, and RI, but Kerry/Kennedy just RI and MA.
zachman

« Reply #56 on: February 10, 2004, 06:52:14 PM »

If Dean picked Kennedy he'd run into the establishment problem he ran into with Gore. But that won't happen.

WHy do you republicans hate Dean so much? Is it what he says? Is it his supporters?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #57 on: February 10, 2004, 06:55:07 PM »

If Dean picked Kennedy he'd run into the establishment problem he ran into with Gore. But that won't happen.

WHy do you republicans hate Dean so much? Is it what he says? Is it his supporters?

I don't know if they hate him, most of them wanted him to be the nominee. Haven't you asked this already?
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2004, 06:57:40 PM »

Yo!  This would be my first post ever here.  

Little background.  I'm only 16, I don't know how that compares to the rest of you, so bear with my limited intellegence, and my lack of ability to actually vote.  I'm the only 16 year old I know that actually cares about comething that matters in the world, so I'm happy about that.  I got into all this political stuff after the 2000 election and feeling totally bummed after Gore wound up not bein prez.  

Anyway, I thought Edwards was the best pick for the nomination right from when I first heard of him.  Now that it looks like its Kerry, I'll have to say he'd easily make the best VP.  

1)  He's younger, a lot of passion, and a rising star.  I think that's a proper image for a VP.  I don't want to see an older guy on the ticket.

2) I think his background and "Two Americas" theme pulls in the big midwest states for the Dems, and gives them a chance to pick up a couple Southern states.  (Although they are the Dems are so opposed on social issues, it'll be hard for any Dem to do anything there)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #59 on: February 10, 2004, 07:01:17 PM »

Yo!  This would be my first post ever here.  

Little background.  I'm only 16, I don't know how that compares to the rest of you, so bear with my limited intellegence, and my lack of ability to actually vote.  I'm the only 16 year old I know that actually cares about comething that matters in the world, so I'm happy about that.  I got into all this political stuff after the 2000 election and feeling totally bummed after Gore wound up not bein prez.  

Anyway, I thought Edwards was the best pick for the nomination right from when I first heard of him.  Now that it looks like its Kerry, I'll have to say he'd easily make the best VP.  

1)  He's younger, a lot of passion, and a rising star.  I think that's a proper image for a VP.  I don't want to see an older guy on the ticket.

2) I think his background and "Two Americas" theme pulls in the big midwest states for the Dems, and gives them a chance to pick up a couple Southern states.  (Although they are the Dems are so opposed on social issues, it'll be hard for any Dem to do anything there)

Another NJ Dem...is there no end to you...just kidding! Smiley Welcome to the forum! Smiley I am 16 myself, and the average age here seems to be around 25 or something, so don't worry...you won't score extra points on age though, I'm afraid... Wink

I agree with your analysis, btw.

zachman

« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2004, 07:15:57 PM »

you're 16 Gustaf!!!!! Wow you know a lot about American elections.

I'm still the youngest one at the post at 15!!!

Its great that you are an Edwards supporter hockey dude, I am too, but he hasn't finished so hot recently. For his political career to continue, he can't get dragged to the ground by Kerry. He was looking so strong last Tuesday from 7:00-8:00 PM.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #61 on: February 10, 2004, 09:20:13 PM »

I in no way hate Dean. He would hand us the election Wink
zachman

« Reply #62 on: February 10, 2004, 09:22:54 PM »

When was the attitude that Dean was unelectable form? Is it because he is fearless? Is it because he is loud about Bush?
MarkDel

« Reply #63 on: February 10, 2004, 09:30:52 PM »

I think it's fantastic that so many young people post on this forum and take an interest in politics. I remember being in high school in 1980 when Ronald Reagan ran against Jimmy Carter, and how the drive to elect Reagan changed my life forever. I just wish I could convince intelligent youngsters like Gustaf, Zachman and others to reconsider the Democratic avatar next to their posting names...LOL
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #64 on: February 10, 2004, 09:55:12 PM »

When was the attitude that Dean was unelectable form? Is it because he is fearless? Is it because he is loud about Bush?

He's a timebomb. He would've exploded in the Presidential Debates.
NHPolitico

« Reply #65 on: February 10, 2004, 10:01:15 PM »

I don't hate any of the Dems running, but I like Kerry the least of all, not Dean.  Dean, the guy who was governor, as opposed to Crazy Howard the presidential candidate, is perfectly likable and reasonable and moderate.
NHPolitico

« Reply #66 on: February 10, 2004, 10:03:05 PM »

It was because he could be easily caricatured to voters in Bush Country-- making the race about all the Gore states and basicly taking the Bush states off the table.
M

« Reply #67 on: February 10, 2004, 11:06:11 PM »

It is not because he was easily carcatured. It is because he was a caricature of himself. Do you know that for two or three days after the Iowa caucuses, Dean's website had the speech posted at the top. It said, "Last night Governor Dean gave a rousing speech in Des Moines." It continued to list Dean's order of states, punctuated every now and then by, "you know something? You know something?" and omitting only the screech. I showed this to a friend in my computer class who has no strong interest in politics and no major leanings, and had never heard of Dean. I read it to him in a bland, not passionate, not snide voice, and he said "sounds like a very angry person". The best comparison I can think of to Dean is a Hitler book-burning rally, or Donald Duck angry. His take on the dems single weakest issue, national security, was unbelievable. Kerry campaigns like it is still September 10. Well, Dean campaigns like he's opposed to all war and can't believe it has ever done any good, in other words like it's never been 1939, 1861, or 1776. Or since the dawn of time. Inother words, like he was out of touch with reality. Osama, who has admitted to murdering 3,000 Americans, dhouldn't be presumed guilty. The capture of Saddam Hussein, one of the most monstrous tyrants in recorded history, leaves us no safer? Not to mention the fact that the man likes to broadcast his campaign strategy to the world in the clear. Like, "you'll hear me talking more about Jesus", then roceeding to say the book of Job was his favorite New Testament book and that Jerry Falwell and his ilk were like the biblical Pharisees. You have to give him credit for insulting the Jews AND the Christians in one breath, that takes work. Does he even know the Pharisees were the ancestors of modern rabbinic Judaism? Dies he care? I think I can answer both questions. Just the other day, I heard him on CNN talking to Wof Blitzer. Wolf wanted to know if he would drop after Wisconsin. Dean answered "I've studiously avoided answering that question by saying, 'we're gonna win!'"I mean sheesh! Then there was the real hatred the man exuded for Bush, anyone who even considered entertaining the notion ever that Bush might have been honest at some point in his life, perhaps at six months, and any democrat who dared to oppose his nomination, and you have a candidate who's prettypungent to any not under his hypnotic thrall. Again, like Hitler. Top it all off with wanting to get rid of McAuliffe in the long term and give him orders in the short-term, and his statements about how the dems had to leave the centrism of the nineties behind. All things considered, I'd say. not a very attractive candidate. At all.

But did GOPers hate him? Naw. We loved him!
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #68 on: February 11, 2004, 12:21:56 AM »

Dean's problem is that when he says he'll do stuff that's unpopular, he scares 70% of the country.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #69 on: February 11, 2004, 12:26:32 AM »

It wouldn't be unconstitutional for Kennedy to be Kerry's running mate, but it would mean that the electors from Massachusetts would only be able to vote for one of them and not both.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #70 on: February 11, 2004, 01:05:38 AM »

No Dean was unelectable because he is short and stubby.  I fear Kerry's height - taller candidates really do tend to do better.  Bush is about as short a President as we've had in a long while.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #71 on: February 11, 2004, 01:10:37 AM »

Well, that's true, the taller candidate does usually win....
M

« Reply #72 on: February 11, 2004, 01:53:14 AM »

I cower in terror before the Lanky Yankee. But Tricksy Dixie will come through in the end.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #73 on: February 11, 2004, 04:05:00 AM »

you're 16 Gustaf!!!!! Wow you know a lot about American elections.

I'm still the youngest one at the post at 15!!!

Its great that you are an Edwards supporter hockey dude, I am too, but he hasn't finished so hot recently. For his political career to continue, he can't get dragged to the ground by Kerry. He was looking so strong last Tuesday from 7:00-8:00 PM.

Thanks...PD is 15 as well. Wink
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #74 on: February 11, 2004, 04:07:06 AM »

I think it's fantastic that so many young people post on this forum and take an interest in politics. I remember being in high school in 1980 when Ronald Reagan ran against Jimmy Carter, and how the drive to elect Reagan changed my life forever. I just wish I could convince intelligent youngsters like Gustaf, Zachman and others to reconsider the Democratic avatar next to their posting names...LOL

Keep wishing...can't say that the "Europeans go home" thread improved the image of the Republican party though... Wink

Luckily, whenever I feel unsure I can just relax myself with a postby PD, JMF, Opebo, etc and I can tell which I party I do not wish to belong to... Wink
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies