WHO SHOULD BE VP ?!?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:41:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  WHO SHOULD BE VP ?!?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: WHO SHOULD BE VP ?!?  (Read 11525 times)
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 07, 2004, 12:20:20 PM »

There is alot of different people are trying to be it, I know there are other threads out there but this is who YOU want not who should be VP
zachman

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2004, 12:22:19 PM »

I voted for Evan Bayh, it would secure the midwest, and carry Ohio and maybe Indiana for the Dems.

You forgot to put John Edwards, who I would also be very satisfied with.
Mr. Fresh
faulfrisch
United States
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2004, 12:24:20 PM »

I voted for Evan Bayh, it would secure the midwest, and carry Ohio and maybe Indiana for the Dems.

He's at the top.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2004, 12:24:55 PM »

Bayh would not carry Indiana and would not necessarily gaurantee Ohio.  I voted for Dean for obvious reasons.
agcatter
agcat
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2004, 12:30:57 PM »

My choice is Michael Moore for even more obvious reasons.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2004, 01:02:01 PM »

IT's Senator Bayh, he puts Indiana into play (I don't think we'll win it, but it's in play) and gives Ohio a strong lean dem.  This election's about the midwest.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2004, 01:07:39 PM »

IT's Senator Bayh, he puts Indiana into play (I don't think we'll win it, but it's in play) and gives Ohio a strong lean dem.  This election's about the midwest.

Bayh is a Democrat who wins locally *in spite* of his party.  He is not therefore capable of making his party popular in traditional Republican territory.  Particularly dragging along a liberal northeastner at the top of the ticket.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2004, 01:13:43 PM »

Edwards would put only AR and possibly LA in play, so I think Bayh is the smarter choice.
zachman

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2004, 01:32:12 PM »

Edwards would be a good pick for several reasons. First, he is a rising star, picking him sets up a strong candidate for future elections. He is a smart national choice, giving dems a solid boost everywhere. He would put NC into play, and the swing southern states of Arkansas, Tennessee, Louisiana, and Florida would also come into play.
agcatter
agcat
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2004, 01:41:16 PM »

Edwards is not going to carry NC for Kerry.  End of story.  Along with a southern accent, Edwards also carries a very liberal Senate voting record which has not sat well with the folks back home in NC.
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2004, 01:45:53 PM »

Someone from the midwest should be VP
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2004, 02:06:41 PM »

Edwards is not going to carry NC for Kerry.  End of story.  Along with a southern accent, Edwards also carries a very liberal Senate voting record which has not sat well with the folks back home in NC.
Not all that liberal, 56% socially.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2004, 02:09:28 PM »

John Edwards is there, I voted for him... Wink
Mort from NewYawk
MortfromNewYawk

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2004, 06:39:41 PM »

I've argued for Gephardt, but everyone has said that Gep is spent, he's not going to do anything for Kerry.

Now after reading MarkDel's new thread contending that jobs are Bush's weakest issue, I'm willing to consider that maybe it is the message more than the messenger, and maybe Edwards might work best as VP candidate if he continues to bang out Gephardt-type themes, especially the ones about America bleeding jobs overseas.

So, if Edwards helps Kerry, it would be in close midwest states, not the South. No way is Kerry getting any southern state, regardless of the jobs issue or his VP.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2004, 07:07:07 PM »

So, if Edwards helps Kerry, it would be in close midwest states, not the South. No way is Kerry getting any southern state, regardless of the jobs issue or his VP.
If Kerry's goal is to win the midwest, he won't choose edwards.  He would choose Bayh, maybe, or another midwestern moderate.  Picking a southerner to win the midwest isn't a good strategy.
MarkDel

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2004, 07:34:43 PM »

I'm surprised to see some Democrats saying they would like to see Evan Bayh as the VP on a Kerry ticket. When it comes to matters of foreign policy, Bayh is essentially a neo-conservative Republican. It's been very interesting for me to watch Bayh slide further and further to the right, especially in light of the fact that his father was such an unrepentant liberal when he was Senator. It's been a stark contrast to AL Gore, who moved further and further left as he got older, which was kind of interesting in light of the fact that his father voted against the Civil Rights Act when he was a Democratic Senator.
GOPhound
Rookie

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2004, 07:41:10 PM »

Kerry needs to pick someone who will fill out his weaknesses.  He will do as well as Gore in the west, midwest, and northeast.  He has no shot in the south, except for the big one - Florida.  We all know it's not a typical southern state either.

Since the theme of this year for the Dems seems to be "Beat Bush at all costs", I'd say Bob Graham would be the best choice since it would probably nail Florida down and thus the presidency.

I've heard the guy is a kook and shoots from the lip, so he'd probably be a lousy VP, but I don't think that matters this year.
agcatter
agcat
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2004, 07:58:39 PM »

The guy is indeed perceived as a kook and is not nearly as popular in Florida as he was before he ran for president.  I just don't see him pulling Florida out for Kerry.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2004, 08:46:10 PM »

The guy is indeed perceived as a kook and is not nearly as popular in Florida as he was before he ran for president.  I just don't see him pulling Florida out for Kerry.
BILL NELSON D-FLA
agcatter
agcat
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2004, 09:04:34 PM »

Nelson would have better appeal than Graham.  His only liability is that he has less than four years experience in the Senate.
zachman

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2004, 09:41:30 PM »

Graham is a fading star, and should not get the nomination in the future. Kerry needs to pick a VP who could become a strong nominee in the future, Nelson is better for this.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2004, 09:42:57 PM »

Graham is a fading star, and should not get the nomination in the future. Kerry needs to pick a VP who could become a strong nominee in the future, Nelson is better for this.

I think that Kerry needs to plan his own future.  What's he gonna do when he is out of a job after this campaign.  Smiley
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2004, 09:50:54 PM »

I think that Kerry needs to plan his own future.  What's he gonna do when he is out of a job after this campaign.  Smiley

Lol...Sweden just knocked out Australia, the reigning champions from the Davis Cup! I am a tennis freak, so that's why I'm still up, and right now very happy! It's just too bad that there aren't any Australians logged on now, i would like to tease them... Cheesy

Sorry, just had to let this out... Smiley
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2004, 10:11:30 PM »

Next round we'll beat yu, and avenge the aussies, don't worry (we do play you next round, I think, don't we?)
GOPhound
Rookie

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2004, 10:31:48 PM »

A lot of people are saying the Dems need to pick someone who has a future.  I beg to differ, I don't think they care about what may or may not happen in 4 or 8 years.  They want Bush out so badly they'll pick whoever they need to get 270 EV's.

For this reason alone Graham will be the VP nominee.  When Kerry moves towards the center as all candidates do, Graham will be there to keep the lefties happy and throw out the red meat, sort of the way Cheney has done for Bush.  

Also, Graham has opposed the Iraq war from day one, has experience as both a governor and senator, and also has military experience I believe.

This election is all about the EV's, not like 2000 when both Bush and Gore chose who they thought would actually be a good vice president.  

Also, for those who say Graham's time has come and gone, people were saying the same thing about Kerry 3 weeks ago.  As a Republican I will be seriously concerned if Graham is on the ticket.    
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies