Hagel Decision Due Monday
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:04:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Hagel Decision Due Monday
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hagel Decision Due Monday  (Read 2452 times)
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 08, 2007, 04:35:45 AM »

Sources in Nebraska tell Political Wire that Sen. Chuck Hagel (R-NE) is holding a press conference Monday morning at 10:00 a.m. in Omaha to announce his future political plans.

In anticipation of Hagel not running for re-election, former Sen. Bob Kerrey (D-NE) is laying the groundwork for a campaign to return to the U.S. Senate.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2007, 07:36:43 AM »

The Omaha World-Herald is reporting that "he will not run for re-election and that he does not intend to be a candidate for any office in 2008".

The linked article also speculates who will potentially run to replace him.  On the Democratic side, apart from Bob Kerrey, are Scott Kleeb (who lost the bid in 2006 for the 3rd congressional seat), and Omaha Mayor Mike Fahey.

On the Republican side, the two announced candidates so far are Attorney General Jon Bruning and financial adviser Pat Flynn.  Other possible candidates are former Governor (and current US Agriculture Secretary) Mike Johanns, former Omaha Mayor Hal Daub, and businessman Tony Raimondo.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2007, 02:22:30 PM »

We could actually have a race here.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007, 02:23:52 PM »

Kerrey better run. Let's not waste this opportunity.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2007, 03:52:21 PM »

Wish I had bought more than one share of Democrat to pick up Nebraska a couple months back on Intrade.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2007, 08:51:56 PM »

Should Hagel, indeed, announce his retirement then any other Democrat mulling a run should step aside in favor of Bob Kerrey, who as a former senator, is surely best positioned to win it for the Democrats

Scott Kleeb continues to live and work in the 3rd district, though he has relocated to Hastings (Adams County). He has a website up and running but no formal decision to run for any office as yet. The 3rd district will be a tough  nut for him to crack in presidential year. Although, a Democrat, he was easily the better candidate in 2006. He polled well (45%) but not well enough Sad

I'd like to think voters in NE-03 rue the day they elected Adrian Smith but if Kleeb runs again, it could be a race to watch. I'm not sure how 'secure' Republicans perceive Smith as being or whether he's susceptible to a primary challenge

Dave
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2007, 03:45:06 AM »

I understand why he retired. His own party didn't like him long before this year. The National Review had an article attacking him back in 2002.

He was one of my favorite Republican Senators (not just because of his anti-war comments earlier this year), I'm sad to see him go.

I hope Bob Kerrey runs. Kleeb did great last year, but he should try for NE-3 again or maybe Governor.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2007, 01:30:40 PM »

CNN.com is also reporting that Hagel is calling it quits when term ends.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/09/08/hagel/index.html

He said he will make his decision formal on Monday, but this is what he's going to do.  This is the second Republican in just 10 days to retire.  Remember, Sen. John Warner of Virginia announced his retirement plans on August 31.

I agree with Boris, lets not waste this opportunity.  Schumer has a seemingly limitless bank account, so he might very well poke some cash into Bob Kerrey's campaign should he decide to run. 

Even though I'm a Bush supporter, I'm still wanting the Democrats to increase their majority and am still supporting a Democrat, John Edwards, for the Presidency.
Saxwsylvania
Van Der Blub

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2007, 02:18:03 PM »

Even though I'm a Bush supporter, I'm still wanting the Democrats to increase their majority and am still supporting a Democrat, John Edwards, for the Presidency.

Um . . . why?
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2007, 01:09:02 PM »

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/news/politics/blog/2007/09/sen_hagel_officially_calls_it.html

Here's Hagel's statement:

Hagel Announces He Will Not Seek A Third Term In Senate

OMAHA, NE - United States Senator Chuck Hagel (R-NE) announced this morning that he will not seek a third term in the United States Senate and does not intend to be a candidate for any office in 2008. Below is a text of Hagel's remarks delivered at the Omaha Press Club:

"I will not seek a third term in the United States Senate, nor do I intend to be a candidate for any office in 2008. It has been my greatest honor and privilege to serve my country and represent my fellow Nebraskans in the U.S. Senate. My family and I will be forever grateful for this opportunity and the trust placed in me by the people of Nebraska. It has enriched all of us.

I have always tried to live up to the promise I made to the people of Nebraska the day I announced my intention to seek this Senate seat. On March 30, 1995 I said, "I intend to be a Senator all Nebraskans can be proud of." I hope I've done that, and made some contributions to our state and country along the way. History will sort that out.

I am proud of my Senate record and deeply grateful to all those who helped get me there and keep me there, and those who have worked so hard for the people of Nebraska-my staff. I would like to particularly thank Mike McCarthy, Ken Stinson and Lou Ann Linehan. I owe a great deal to these three individuals."

I would have been unable to do my job without the love, wise perspective and constant encouragement of my wife Lilibet, my daughter Allyn and my son Ziller. My appreciation for their support is immeasurable. I would also like to thank my brothers, Tom and Mike, for their constant support and occasional brotherly constructive evaluations.

I said after I was elected in 1996 that 12 years in the Senate would probably be enough. It is. I have always believed that democracies work best when there is a constant cycle of new energy and ideas, and fresh leadership.

I will leave the Senate with the same enthusiasm, sense of purpose and love of my country that I started with. I leave maybe a little wiser, surely a little more experienced and with a very respectable amount of humility.

Public service has always been a big part of my life, and I hope to have another opportunity to serve my country in some new capacity down the road.

This afternoon, my family and I will return to Washington, and I will go back to work. I look forward to working as hard in the remaining 16 months of my Senate term for the people of Nebraska as I have over the last 11 years.

Thank you."
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2007, 06:12:15 PM »

I'd like to think voters in NE-03 rue the day they elected Adrian Smith but if Kleeb runs again, it could be a race to watch. I'm not sure how 'secure' Republicans perceive Smith as being or whether he's susceptible to a primary challenge

I'm sure the incredibly conservative voters of NE-03 are more than happy with their new congressman who has done absolutely nothing in the House to draw their ire.  It is not the kind of district that would ever boot a non-controversial incumbent.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2007, 06:50:46 PM »

It is not the kind of district that would ever boot a non-controversial incumbent.

The district was only competitive in the first place because Smith and his supporters were anything but "non-controversial." Not that it matters now.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2007, 09:02:23 PM »

NE-03 was kind of like the Pennsylvania Senate race in a certain respect. Kleeb and Santorum were of a higher calibre, yet Smith and Casey, both mediocre by comparison, were more "in touch" with their, respective, district and state

I'd have voted for Casey because he's closer to me on the issues, yet I'd have voted for Kleeb, enthusiastically, on both counts Smiley

Kleeb polled a respectable 45% in what is possibly the most Republican district of all. Quite an achievement, I'd say

Dave
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2007, 09:16:02 PM »

Kleeb polled a respectable 45% in what is possibly the most Republican district of all. Quite an achievement, I'd say

Respectable, but un-reproducable.  Especially given the advantage of incumbancy.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2007, 11:28:52 PM »

Um . . . why?

As much as I support the mission in Iraq, I want the war to come to an end, so thats why I'm supporting John Edwards.  I will probably support the Democratic nominee whoever that is, unless it is Barack Obama.  With him, I will vote for the Republican candidate.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2007, 11:31:30 PM »

Um . . . why?

As much as I support the mission in Iraq, I want the war to come to an end, so thats why I'm supporting John Edwards.  I will probably support the Democratic nominee whoever that is, unless it is Barack Obama.  With him, I will vote for the Republican candidate.

What's your beef with Obama?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2007, 11:35:37 PM »

Um . . . why?

He just creeps me out for some reason, to be quite honest.  I can't place my finger on it, but he just gives me the heebie-jeebies.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2007, 11:42:12 PM »

Um . . . why?

He just creeps me out for some reason, to be quite honest.  I can't place my finger on it, but he just gives me the heebie-jeebies.
Some points about Obama:

After he finished his tenure as the first black President of the Harvard Law Review, he turned down  several high-paying corporate jobs to work as a community organizer in the roughest neighborhoods of inner-city Chicago.

He was a bipartisan leader in the legislature who helped reform Illinois broken capital punishment system.  He's worked to strengthen oversight of pork barrel spending projects and reign in the influence of the K Street crowd. I hope you'll take a look at his character before you judge him harshly.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2007, 12:18:10 AM »

Um . . . why?

Some points about Obama:

After he finished his tenure as the first black President of the Harvard Law Review, he turned down  several high-paying corporate jobs to work as a community organizer in the roughest neighborhoods of inner-city Chicago.

He was a bipartisan leader in the legislature who helped reform Illinois broken capital punishment system.  He's worked to strengthen oversight of pork barrel spending projects and reign in the influence of the K Street crowd. I hope you'll take a look at his character before you judge him harshly.

I wasn't aware of those things.  I won't judge him until we get closer to time.  I would be comfortable with an Obama administration, but I just may not vote for him.  Its like in 2004, I voted for Kerry but felt comfortable with a Bush administration.
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2007, 12:51:50 AM »

Um . . . why?

Because he is black?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2007, 01:01:41 AM »

Um . . . why?

Because he is black?

Not in the least.   It has NOTHING to do with his race.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2007, 01:02:55 AM »

Um . . . why?

Because he is black?
My guess is that OK for Edwards is still learning about Obama, much like most of America only knows him from his brilliant oratorical feat at the 2004 Democratic Convention.

I wouldn't infer racism from his comments.  He seems like an earnest fellow, not a racist nut.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies