Are people under 25 only conservative because their parents were?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 01:36:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Are people under 25 only conservative because their parents were?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Are people under 25 only conservative because their parents were?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 36

Author Topic: Are people under 25 only conservative because their parents were?  (Read 4971 times)
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2007, 01:15:26 PM »

Well, it's really a 'subgroup' within the new generation that I disagree with .  I'd like to think those in the young adult group aren't as hateful to deny gays marriage rights.

Which is all fine and dandy, but what is your exact basis for dictating what the new generation is about?
Friz
thad_l
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: -9.74

« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2007, 01:19:49 PM »

Well, it's really a 'subgroup' within the new generation that I disagree with .  I'd like to think those in the young adult group aren't as hateful to deny gays marriage rights.

Which is all fine and dandy, but what is your exact basis for dictating what the new generation is about?

It's what I think it's about - being more receptive and kinder to those being taken advantage of/unfairly treated, and rectifying mistakes made by the 'old generation'.  Like ceasing the practice of acting on faith/emotion rather than reason (though every generation is guilty of this).

I guess I should post "I think" into every post I make, even though I think that's a given seeing as they're my posts and writing.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2007, 03:00:49 PM »

It's what I think it's about - being more receptive and kinder to those being taken advantage of/unfairly treated, and rectifying mistakes made by the 'old generation'.  Like ceasing the practice of acting on faith/emotion rather than reason (though every generation is guilty of this).

I guess I should post "I think" into every post I make, even though I think that's a given seeing as they're my posts and writing.

I just think it's presumptuous to project your ideals onto such a broad and diverse group, that's all. I don't necessarily disagree with your ideas though.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2007, 03:03:12 PM »
« Edited: September 04, 2007, 03:05:26 PM by Verily »

I was originally pretty much in perfect agreement with my parents, who are both very liberal and very leftist. I've drifted somewhat rightward, though not conservative, since then, but I'm certainly not right of center (despite what my Matrix score suggests), and I still agree much more often than I disagree with them.

I did have a brief dalliance with the Republicans in college, but I was never really right-wing, just right-wing for a Massachusetts college.
Jaggerjack
Fabian_the_Fastman
Thailand

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -4.00

« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2007, 03:20:26 PM »

Well, I have a classmate who was born and raised a Republican.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2007, 04:47:48 PM »

Why ARE so many people under 25 conservative though?  Conservatives stand against everything the new generation is about.

Who exactly decides what the new generation is about?

People who thinks they know everything.  To say people under 25 are conservate because of their parents is stupid. You could say the very same thing about people being libearl.  I believe that when people are in their teens, yes they believe how their parents do, but once they get out on their own they choose their own views.

Or they never grow out of the ideology of their parents. 

So are you saying everyone who is conservative is only conservative because of their parents being conservative?
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2007, 05:02:49 PM »

Nope, and I'm offended by the assertion that all parents think alike.

Even barring that, my brother was still more conservative than my dad until he went to college (he claims to have shifted left, but I'm suspicious until I see the proof).
Friz
thad_l
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2007, 05:34:50 PM »

Why ARE so many people under 25 conservative though?  Conservatives stand against everything the new generation is about.

People who thinks they know everything.  To say people under 25 are conservate because of their parents is stupid. You could say the very same thing about people being libearl.  I believe that when people are in their teens, yes they believe how their parents do, but once they get out on their own they choose their own views.

So are you saying everyone who is conservative is only conservative because of their parents being conservative?

Yes.
Friz
thad_l
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2007, 05:36:22 PM »

Nope, and I'm offended by the assertion that all parents think alike.of).

Well, I don't believe I ever implied that.  My father votes democratic (though has fairly conservative social and economic leanings) while my mother is a God-fearing conservative (who gets hammered every night and never goes to church).
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2007, 05:43:06 PM »

Many are, but to say that all of them are only because their parents are is painting with a brush that's a bit too large. Tons of situations might result in someone with non-conservative parents becoming conservative - for instance some young person might convert to a new religion and their politics might change accordingly.

I think that's kind of obvious.  I don't think anyone honestly believes that EVERY conservative under 25 is conservative ONLY because their parents were.
Friz
thad_l
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2007, 05:50:37 PM »
« Edited: September 04, 2007, 05:56:05 PM by Groucho Charles »

Many are, but to say that all of them are only because their parents are is painting with a brush that's a bit too large. Tons of situations might result in someone with non-conservative parents becoming conservative - for instance some young person might convert to a new religion and their politics might change accordingly.

I think that's kind of obvious.  I don't think anyone honestly believes that EVERY conservative under 25 is conservative ONLY because their parents were.

It's probably not the only reason, but it's probably the main reason that got them into that kind of thinking.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2007, 05:52:17 PM »

As I've said before, my mother is essentially an Al clone.  My father used to be more liberal, but with the Clinton era, moved to being more of a Perot person (somewhat like MODU, but more isolationist in foreign policy).
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2007, 05:59:46 PM »

You realize what the natural correllary to your little theory is, right?
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2007, 06:01:39 PM »

My parents really didn't really indoctrineate me into libertarianism wth conservative leanings. They just pretty much psuhed the dominoes toward that way of thought. In other words, they helped me learn how to analytically think about things.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2007, 06:04:29 PM »

What on earth do heart attacks have to do with this topic?
Friz
thad_l
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2007, 06:24:35 PM »

Yeah I was wondering that myself.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2007, 07:07:39 PM »

Obviously SOMEONE has no position on health care.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2007, 08:01:32 PM »

It's probably not the only reason, but it's probably the main reason that got them into that kind of thinking.

"Probably"? What exactly do you base this probability on? Science or mere supposition? Extending your logic to it's natural conclusion, people only become any political ideology because of their parent's ideology, conservative or not. Are liberals under 25 only liberal because their parents were liberal?
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2007, 09:44:34 PM »

Well, I don't believe I ever implied that.  My father votes democratic (though has fairly conservative social and economic leanings) while my mother is a God-fearing conservative (who gets hammered every night and never goes to church).

My mom is a moderate liberal, my dad is a moderate conservative, my brother is (or was) a mainstream conservative, I am a mainstream liberal.  Your "parental socialization" theory in no way explains the partisan makeup of my family.
Friz
thad_l
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2007, 09:56:47 PM »

My mom is a moderate liberal, my dad is a moderate conservative, my brother is (or was) a mainstream conservative, I am a mainstream liberal.  Your "parental socialization" theory in no way explains the partisan makeup of my family.

There are exceptions to every rule or theory.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2007, 01:22:46 AM »

Yes.

That's not my reason.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2007, 12:16:15 PM »

What exactly is your basis for this theory? As far as I can tell you don't really have much in the way of solid evidence to back it up, in which case your idea isn't even a theory. At best it would be a hypothesis.
Friz
thad_l
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2007, 12:35:02 PM »

What exactly is your basis for this theory? As far as I can tell you don't really have much in the way of solid evidence to back it up, in which case your idea isn't even a theory. At best it would be a hypothesis.

The basis is how exactly can anyone young be conservative after living through the Clinton and Bush administrations.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2007, 12:40:36 PM »

The basis is how exactly can anyone young be conservative after living through the Clinton and Bush administrations.

So just because you fail to understand how someone might think differently than you, you blame it on the parents without any scientific basis whatsoever? Seems pretty hypocritical for someone who said we should act on reason rather than faith and emotion.
Friz
thad_l
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2007, 12:45:34 PM »

So just because you fail to understand how someone might think differently than you, you blame it on the parents without any scientific basis whatsoever? Seems pretty hypocritical for someone who said we should act on reason rather than faith and emotion.

Maybe it should have been "Are people under 25 only conservative because they are weak of mind and can't think for themselves?" then.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies