End to Districts Amendment [Passed/Sent to Regions]
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:20:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  End to Districts Amendment [Passed/Sent to Regions]
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: End to Districts Amendment [Passed/Sent to Regions]  (Read 8228 times)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 03, 2007, 12:02:03 PM »
« edited: September 24, 2007, 08:47:47 AM by Sam Spade »

End to Districts Amendment

That the following changes shall be made to the Atlasian Constitution.
1. Article I, Section 1, Clause 1 of the Atlasian Constitution shall be amended to read as follows:
The Senate shall be composed of ten Senators, each with a term of four months.

2. Article I, Section 1, Clause 2 of the Atlasian Constitution shall be amended to read as follows:
No Person shall be a Senator who has not attained a hundred or more posts and, in the case of Regional Senators, is not a registered voter in the Region that they represent.

3. Article I, Section 4, Clause 1 of the Atlasian Constitution shall be amended to read as follows:
The Senate shall be divided into two classes: Class A, which shall comprise the Senators elected from the Regions, and Class B.

4. Article IV, Section 4 of the Atlasian Constitution shall be repealed.

(Sponsor: Ebowed)
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 01:37:48 PM »

So, I'm confused.  This bill seems to eliminate districts, but what does it replace them with?
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 02:09:44 PM »

It's intended to work in tandem with the PR-STV bill and shouldn't be passed until that one is. Since Districts are in the Constitution, an Amendment, separate from the PR-STV bill, is needed to get rid of them.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 02:16:05 PM »

I don't like 10 regional senators because it means like 30 Northeasterners get represented by 2 Senators and like 10 Midwesterners get represented by 2 Senators.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 02:34:13 PM »

*Sigh*

I would just like to comment as a perosn who has had expirience in these matters and as the one who came up with the regions/districts method.

The whole point of doing it liek this was to assure that we had Senators who were responsive both to small regional interests, and to population (like the real Congress, but unicameral).  Also, it assures a higher level of political variability.  You can't keep changing the Constitution ever time it suits you, less it becomes meaningless, as it did for me when I was involved.

This is not to mention that, against my advice, they already got rid of the current system once, but ended up going back to it, as they found it was the best way to go.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 02:59:19 PM »

*Sigh*

I would just like to comment as a perosn who has had expirience in these matters and as the one who came up with the regions/districts method.

The whole point of doing it liek this was to assure that we had Senators who were responsive both to small regional interests, and to population (like the real Congress, but unicameral).  Also, it assures a higher level of political variability.  You can't keep changing the Constitution ever time it suits you, less it becomes meaningless, as it did for me when I was involved.

This is not to mention that, against my advice, they already got rid of the current system once, but ended up going back to it, as they found it was the best way to go.

I think that the idea is for the five single member districts to be replaced with one multi-member district elected by STV.
At least I hope so; ten regional senators is a ghastly prospect.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2007, 03:20:22 PM »

So, I'm confused.  This bill seems to eliminate districts, but what does it replace them with?

The bill which seeks to institute PR-STV requires a constitutional amendment before it can be fully implemented.

The districts would be replaced by that system which treats the whole of Atlasia as a single electoral constitutency.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2007, 03:21:32 PM »

How clear is the constitution on the districts issue?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2007, 03:28:59 PM »

So the idea is that the Senate has full freedom to change the rules under which Class B Senators are elected, making it possible to drop proportional representation again without needing yet another amendment?
Very good. I've always believed that a Constitution should only include the barest corset of rules for elections and that most of that belongs into ordinary law. Is there any support for amending this so that the regional Senators could also be abolished - at a later date, if the Senate so wishes. Say, if STV works so well that we decide we want it for the whole Senate - without further constitutional amendment?
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2007, 03:38:21 PM »

So the idea is that the Senate has full freedom to change the rules under which Class B Senators are elected, making it possible to drop proportional representation again without needing yet another amendment?

Correct

How clear is the constitution on the districts issue?

The 2 main parts in this regard are:
Art I, s.1, cl.1 mandates the election of 5 Senators from the regions and 5 from the districts.
Art IV, s.4 sets out the re-districting process.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2007, 02:09:40 PM »

3. Article I, Section 4, Clause 1 of the Atlasian Constitution shall be amended to read as follows:
The Senate shall be divided into two classes: Class A, which shall comprise the Senators elected from the Regions, and Class B.

Whilst I am not a member of this chamber, I would posit that this section is not as explicit as it could be: I would add a little on the end.

"..., which shall be elected as the Senate shall specify in appropriate legislation."
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2007, 02:13:01 PM »

(in continuation of the debate in the pr bill thread)

How about this, Earl and Modrate?

Section 3 amended to read (...) and Class B, which shall comprise Senators elected by a form of proportional representation.

It's a very bad idea to put the entire pr mechanism into the constitution - we might decide we want some points changed, without exactly overhauling the entire system. This would give some guarantee that a major change back could not be passed by 7 people.

Peter's version, of course, would be a reasonable friendly amendment.

I'm not introducing either just yet... let's have a little more feedback here.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2007, 03:44:44 PM »
« Edited: September 04, 2007, 03:50:12 PM by Jas »

I understand Moderate and Earl's point and I agree with Lewis that this is the appropriate venue for that discussion.

On that matter, I would have no difficulty with either Peter's or Lewis's possible amendments or indeed one which is very specific in stating something such as:
"...Class B, which shall comprise Senators elected via proportional representation by means of single transferable vote."
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2007, 04:11:42 PM »

I understand Moderate and Earl's point and I agree with Lewis that this is the appropriate venue for that discussion.

On that matter, I would have no difficulty with either Peter's or Lewis's possible amendments or indeed one which is very specific in stating something such as:
"...Class B, which shall comprise Senators elected via proportional representation by means of single transferable vote."

I'd be fine with that new wording.  I don't think the absolute specifics need to be in the constitution, but if the ultimate goal is to change to a PR-STV system, let's lock that in.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2007, 07:15:06 AM »

I'd be fine with that new wording.  I don't think the absolute specifics need to be in the constitution, but if the ultimate goal is to change to a PR-STV system, let's lock that in.

In which case, someone had better put forward an amendment.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2007, 07:46:54 AM »

I prefer my own, but am ready to introduce both of them:

Introducing, firstly, an amendment that Section 3 be amended to read (...) and Class B, which shall comprise Senators elected by a form of proportional representation.

Secondly, (irrespective of how the first vote goes) an amendment that Section 3 be amended to read "...Class B, which shall comprise Senators elected via proportional representation by means of single transferable vote."

Thirdly, and only if both previous amendments fail, an amendment (which may be recognized as a friendly amendment) that Section 3 be amended to read
...Class B, which shall be elected as the Senate shall specify in appropriate legislation."
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2007, 08:59:05 AM »

We are now voting on the following amendment:

Introducing, firstly, an amendment that Section 3 be amended to read (...) and Class B, which shall comprise Senators elected by a form of proportional representation.

Please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.

Nay.  I would vote for Peter's original amendment
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2007, 09:31:49 AM »

I'm not sure why we need to vote on this amendment first when the second amendment will wipe out its wording, but...

Aye.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2007, 11:47:26 AM »

Aye
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2007, 02:23:23 PM »

I'm not sure why we need to vote on this amendment first when the second amendment will wipe out its wording

Only if the second amendment passes. Lewis is giving the Senate an opportunity to pick it's preferred wording.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2007, 04:50:22 PM »

Aye
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2007, 10:05:39 PM »

Nay
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2007, 06:50:03 AM »

Aye
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2007, 12:00:45 PM »

Tally on Lewis's Amendment
Aye: 4 (Moderate [NE]; Earl; Ebowed; Lewis)
Nay: 2 (Sam; Brandon)
Yet to Vote: 3 (afleitch; Al; Moderate [D2]; Rob)
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2007, 01:00:59 PM »

On behalf of District 2, aye.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies