Worst US State
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 07:33:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Worst US State
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10
Author Topic: Worst US State  (Read 31429 times)
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2004, 05:05:34 PM »

The worst state politically is Utah. I also strongly detest states that are dominated by rich suburbs, even though they trended Democratic in 2000.

Uhh some fo the Northeast corridor suburbs aren't "rich".  They just have ridiculously priced homes people struggle to pay for with both husband and wife working their butts off for.  A good number of these people are Democratic because they need to keep their jobs!  
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2004, 05:13:32 PM »

new jersey.

suburban wasteland. brownfields and beach walls.  bruce springsteen and annoying 6 hour concerts.

it's also shaped like a peanut.  i find that visually disturbing.
Bandit3 the Worker
bandit73
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2004, 05:16:20 PM »

Uhh some fo the Northeast corridor suburbs aren't "rich".

I always thought of suburbs in Maryland, Virginia, and eastern Pennsylvania, as well as California and Florida, as being extremely rich. I always considered everything from northern Virginia to southwestern Connecticut, except for the central cities, as rich.

I visited my relatives who lived outside Philadelphia, and compared to the surroundings there, I seemed like some poor backwoods frontiersman who was born in a log cabin.
Bandit3 the Worker
bandit73
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2004, 05:17:40 PM »

suburban wasteland. brownfields and beach walls.  bruce springsteen and annoying 6 hour concerts.

Camden and Atlantic City are both great cities.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I think it's shaped more like the elder Bush's head.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2004, 05:22:07 PM »

new jersey.

With my Congressional Districts naming thingy, so far I've found NJ harder to name than Florida or Georgia
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2004, 05:26:23 PM »

I always thought of suburbs in Maryland, Virginia, and eastern Pennsylvania, as well as California and Florida, as being extremely rich. I always considered everything from northern Virginia to southwestern Connecticut, except for the central cities, as rich.

I visited my relatives who lived outside Philadelphia, and compared to the surroundings there, I seemed like some poor backwoods frontiersman who was born in a log cabin.

You are sorely mistaken if you think that everyone who lives in the suburbs is rich.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2004, 05:31:29 PM »

You are sorely mistaken if you think that everyone who lives in the suburbs is rich.

Rich is a relative term
MHS2002

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 1.57

« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2004, 05:40:33 PM »

Massachusetts
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2004, 05:43:31 PM »

new jersey.

NJ is a great state!
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2004, 05:45:30 PM »

Agreed.  AS i said, people have to work their tails off because of exorbitant real estate prices including parts of Philadelphia such as the Northeast, Center City, Manayunk, and now even parts of West Philly(U City and Overbrook).
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2004, 05:46:26 PM »

Handzus (first),

The suburbs are a pretty rich area man. Even the blue collar areas next to philly still have house hold incomes between 50-70k year (probably would have more if the unions were more powerful and the mills were still around). The counties around philly are in the top 10% richest counties in the country (North Jersey is insane...though).

The reason they're fighting to keep their job is that their eyes are little too big for even their wallets. They buy big expensive houses they don't need. (Though small houses even in the blue collar areas are 200k+---yeah insane) they buy big gas guzzling SUVs they don't need (and drive like assholes). They're wealthy, but they're killing themselves with the keeping up with the Joneses mentality. Credit Card Companies love them.

Bandit,

Interesting, where did you visit around Philly?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2004, 05:50:36 PM »

Bandit,

Florida is not rich. Sure some parts are. But the vast majority of Florida remains rather rural and poor. No impoverished poor but not upper middle class either.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2004, 05:51:14 PM »

Bullmoose88,

The entire Northeast corridor in general is VERY expensive compared to other parts of the country.  Like you said some of these rinky dink split levels and Cape Cods, though singles, are priced over 250K.  Reason being mortgage companies will give a loan to any schmuck with some income because they know they will kill themselves to keep up with the Joneses.  This holds true for Central MD, northern DE, Southeastern PA, most of NJ, NYC area and Long Island.  People are willing to brutalize themselves in these parts because they want a prestigious address and a nice car.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2004, 05:59:47 PM »

Bullmoose88,

The entire Northeast corridor in general is VERY expensive compared to other parts of the country.  Like you said some of these rinky dink split levels and Cape Cods, though singles, are priced over 250K.  Reason being mortgage companies will give a loan to any schmuck with some income because they know they will kill themselves to keep up with the Joneses.  This holds true for Central MD, northern DE, Southeastern PA, most of NJ, NYC area and Long Island.  People are willing to brutalize themselves in these parts because they want a prestigious address and a nice car.

Its called being "house poor". But I would rather own a slightly overpriced house then rent an apartment, because you get no benefit from living in an apartment. At least with a house in the long run you get what you paid for it and mostly likely loads more.
specific_name
generic_name
United States

« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2004, 06:02:53 PM »

least favorite overall.... new jersey

least favorite politically... probably utah or a similar state.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2004, 06:03:16 PM »

Bullmoose88,

Its called being "house poor". But I would rather own a slightly overpriced house then rent an apartment, because you get no benefit from living in an apartment. At least with a house in the long run you get what you paid for it and mostly likely loads more.

Post #999 for me-

You must also realize property taxes in these areas is also ridiculous.  I mean some places sell 2 BR townhomes for 250K.  Where Bandit lives, or at least parts of KY, he could buy an estate with a few bedrooms for 100K.  It sucks!  I make 34K and still living with parents b/c renting is ridiculous.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2004, 06:07:01 PM »

Bullmoose88,

Post #999 for me-

You must also realize property taxes in these areas is also ridiculous.  I mean some places sell 2 BR townhomes for 250K.  Where Bandit lives, or at least parts of KY, he could buy an estate with a few bedrooms for 100K.  It sucks!  I make 34K and still living with parents b/c renting is ridiculous.

Yep I know! My mother lives in northern MD and the houses are outrageous. I make 30k a year live in a 71k dollar house and it's 1300 S.F. Three bedroom 2 1/2 bath. Not to shabby if you ask me.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2004, 06:10:25 PM »

I'd rather live in Camden than any wealthy suburb. I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE suburbia.
MarkDel

« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2004, 06:11:59 PM »

I'd rather live in Camden than any wealthy suburb. I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE suburbia.

BetterRed,

If you lived in Camden you'd end up as somebody's Prison Bitch...it's a scary place.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2004, 06:12:08 PM »

What about the sticks?
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2004, 06:12:52 PM »

Uhh, NOT ME!!!  Have you ever been to Camden, NJ?  There aren't even parts of Pennsauken, a nearby suburb, that I would live in.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2004, 06:13:52 PM »

I can only follow impressions, but South Dakota is supposed to be nothing but fields which doesn't sound very appealing.

Sioux Falls wouldn't be a terrible place to live. The state has a lot more barren land than actual fields though, at least the western part. The eastern part is kind of like the part of Minnesota that I live in (although it's not like my urban city of course). Either way anywhere outside of Sioux Falls would be boring as possible.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2004, 06:15:08 PM »

I can only follow impressions, but South Dakota is supposed to be nothing but fields which doesn't sound very appealing.

Sioux Falls wouldn't be a terrible place to live. The state has a lot more barren land than actual fields though, at least the western part. The eastern part is kind of like the part of Minnesota that I live in (although it's not like my urban city of course). Either way anywhere outside of Sioux Falls would be boring as possible.

I like barren land. I'd love to have a cabin out in the Dakotas.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2004, 06:15:53 PM »

What about the sticks?

that depends on where it is exactly. I probably could live in a place like Le Seuer county, Minnesota since it's only about an hour's drive from the Twin Cities and would prefer that over a suburban hellhole county like Scott or Carver, but I couldn't live in some spot in the middle of Nebraska.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2004, 06:18:15 PM »

In response to something Bandit said a few pages back, Camden is one of the worst cities in the Mid Atlantic region. You do not want to live or even visit that city. Believe me. I can't believe ANYONE would say that Camden is a great city. Then again, Bandit said it so why am I surprised?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies