Proportional Representation Bill [Passed]
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 06:51:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Proportional Representation Bill [Passed]
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8
Author Topic: Proportional Representation Bill [Passed]  (Read 17453 times)
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: August 29, 2007, 01:05:28 PM »

I appreciate the Vice President's desire to pass this bill under any form necessary, but I have faith that we can come up with a better solution to vacancies than countback.

If permitted, on behalf of the Northeast, I vote Nay.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #76 on: August 30, 2007, 11:17:15 AM »

Present vote: 1-5
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #77 on: August 30, 2007, 02:28:57 PM »

Tally on Brandon's Amendment
Aye: 1 (Brandon)
Nay: 5 (Sam; Earl; Ebowed; Al; Moderate)
Yet to Vote: 4 (DWTL; Lewis; PBrunsel; Rob)

As countback is proving impossible to pass and because I believe that this reform will not succeed with by-elections as the replacement option, I have drafted another amendment for consideration.

I now propose that all Senators elected by PR-STV submit replacement lists with the Department of Forum Affairs stating an order of preference of citiznens to fill the seat in the event of a vacancy arising. Ths would effectively guarantee that the balance of the Senate should not be greatly disturbed and that vacancies could be filled in a quick and hassle free manner.

I would appreciate it this would be introduced by a member of this chamber immediately. The amendment is as follows:

That Sections 18 & 19 of the bill be replaced with the following and subsequent sections be renumbered accordingly:

Vacancies
18. Each Senator shall submit to the Department of Forum Affairs a list of citizens who shall be eligible to co-opt their seat in the eventuality of their vacating the seat themselves (hereinafter ‘the list’).

19. The list shall be no longer than 10 names long, and shall have names in order of preference as to whom shall be offered the seat in turn, in the event of a vacancy.

20. The list of each Senator shall be amendable at any time by the Senator by giving notice of such change to the Department of Forum Affairs.

21. The list shall be a matter of public record. It shall be the responsibility of the Department of Forum Affairs to maintain a thread or Atlas wikipage containing the lists of the effected Senators.

22. In the event of vacancy, the Department of Forum Affairs shall make public declaration, by way of a thread, of the vacancy which has arisen and publish the list of the ex-Senator.

23. The first preferred person on the list to co-opt the seat shall have 72 hours within which to publicly accept the seat, so long as he is meets such other requirements as may be to hold the office of Senator. Should this not occur, the right to claim the seat shall pass to the second preferred person on the same terms.

24. Should the list find itself exhausted, a by-election for the seat shall be held on a nationwide basis and in accordance with the terms outlined within F.L. 14-2 Consolidated Electoral Reform Act.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #78 on: August 30, 2007, 02:37:07 PM »

I'm sorry Jas, but the only method of filling vacancies that I will support is through a by-election.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #79 on: August 30, 2007, 05:33:47 PM »
« Edited: August 30, 2007, 05:47:33 PM by Jas »

I'm sorry Jas, but the only method of filling vacancies that I will support is through a by-election.

Even at a cost of the reform not going through at all?

I must say when I wrote this bill, I wouldn't have dreamed that the issue of vacancy filling would be so touchy. Compromise, consensus building and agreement have largely been spurned during this Senate term and frankly this issue, quite subsidiary to the bill as a whole, but yet proving increasingly difficult to find any common ground on epitomises the quite testing relations that the strict partisan divide of this chamber for the past few weeks and months has engendered.

The filling of vacancies is a peripheral issue. Is it worth sending the attempted reform down in flames because of it?
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

« Reply #80 on: August 30, 2007, 06:35:21 PM »

I'm satisfied with Jas's amendment and will sponsor if needed.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #81 on: August 30, 2007, 08:40:45 PM »

I have to agree with the esteemed Vice President, when you get down to it filling vacancies should not be something that should derail this amendment, the need for reform in the area of representation is more important than whether the method used for filling vacancies is countback or by-election. I don't really get what the big issue is here. In one sense I can't believe that, after many pages of debate, the main issue is filling vacant Senate seats. I guess I should be happy that people are squabbling mostly over this issue instead of passionately denouncing any effort for reform but to see this reform brought down by divisions over an extraneous issue such as this would be a blow to both this chamber and to the effectiveness of the entire Atlasian government.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #82 on: August 30, 2007, 08:44:00 PM »

I have to agree with the esteemed Vice President, when you get down to it filling vacancies should not be something that should derail this amendment, the need for reform in the area of representation is more important than whether the method used for filling vacancies is countback or by-election. I don't really get what the big issue is here. In one sense I can't believe that, after many pages of debate, the main issue is filling vacant Senate seats. I guess I should be happy that people are squabbling mostly over this issue instead of passionately denouncing any effort for reform but to see this reform brought down by divisions over an extraneous issue such as this would be a blow to both this chamber and to the effectiveness of the entire Atlasian government.

Hear, hear.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #83 on: August 30, 2007, 08:54:41 PM »

but to see this reform brought down by divisions over an extraneous issue such as this would be a blow to both this chamber and to the effectiveness of the entire Atlasian government.

It would be the correct thing to do if we are trying to stick with Atlasian tradition.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #84 on: August 31, 2007, 06:26:55 AM »

BUMP

Tally on Brandon's Amendment
[Countback as method of vacancy filling]
Aye: 1 (Brandon)
Nay: 5 (Sam; Earl; Ebowed; Al; Moderate)
Yet to Vote: 4 (DWTL; Lewis; PBrunsel; Rob)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #85 on: August 31, 2007, 10:35:22 AM »

Okay, so this very silly countback notion seems not to be going anywhere, if I were to vote for it just in order to swing Brandon's vote.
So, I'll safely vote for the preferable option:

Nay.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #86 on: August 31, 2007, 10:41:23 PM »

With 1 vote in favor, 6 against, and 3 not voting, the amendment has failed.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #87 on: August 31, 2007, 10:43:14 PM »

Is this a legit "I sponsor"?  If so, we'll vote on this soon.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #88 on: August 31, 2007, 11:44:22 PM »

Is this a legit "I sponsor"?  If so, we'll vote on this soon.

Yes.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #89 on: September 02, 2007, 10:04:34 AM »

Voting is now open on the following amendment:

That Sections 18 & 19 of the bill be replaced with the following and subsequent sections be renumbered accordingly:

Vacancies
18. Each Senator shall submit to the Department of Forum Affairs a list of citizens who shall be eligible to co-opt their seat in the eventuality of their vacating the seat themselves (hereinafter ‘the list’).

19. The list shall be no longer than 10 names long, and shall have names in order of preference as to whom shall be offered the seat in turn, in the event of a vacancy.

20. The list of each Senator shall be amendable at any time by the Senator by giving notice of such change to the Department of Forum Affairs.

21. The list shall be a matter of public record. It shall be the responsibility of the Department of Forum Affairs to maintain a thread or Atlas wikipage containing the lists of the effected Senators.

22. In the event of vacancy, the Department of Forum Affairs shall make public declaration, by way of a thread, of the vacancy which has arisen and publish the list of the ex-Senator.

23. The first preferred person on the list to co-opt the seat shall have 72 hours within which to publicly accept the seat, so long as he is meets such other requirements as may be to hold the office of Senator. Should this not occur, the right to claim the seat shall pass to the second preferred person on the same terms.

24. Should the list find itself exhausted, a by-election for the seat shall be held on a nationwide basis and in accordance with the terms outlined within F.L. 14-2 Consolidated Electoral Reform Act.

Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #90 on: September 02, 2007, 11:05:09 AM »

Aye.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #91 on: September 02, 2007, 12:06:09 PM »

Aye
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #92 on: September 02, 2007, 01:16:01 PM »

Nay
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #93 on: September 02, 2007, 03:28:42 PM »

Aye
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #94 on: September 02, 2007, 04:35:46 PM »

Nay.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #95 on: September 02, 2007, 04:42:10 PM »

Nay
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #96 on: September 02, 2007, 06:39:55 PM »

I would like to ask those voting Nay what, exactly, they find objectionable about this amendment.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #97 on: September 02, 2007, 06:58:53 PM »

I would like to ask those voting Nay what, exactly, they find objectionable about this amendment.

It's undemocratic
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #98 on: September 02, 2007, 07:33:50 PM »

It's undemocratic

Yet surely each Senator would choose people most alike to themselves politically, meaning that, unless you vote on personality over politics, this candidate would have been your choice if you voted for the departing Senator.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #99 on: September 02, 2007, 08:42:28 PM »

I'm going to abstain for now.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies