Cindy Sheehan Announces She Will Run For Congress
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 12, 2024, 10:43:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Cindy Sheehan Announces She Will Run For Congress
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Cindy Sheehan Announces She Will Run For Congress  (Read 3647 times)
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 09, 2007, 03:33:59 PM »

Yep, she's officially challanging Pelosi since she hasn't impeached the entire executive branch. She says she's running for all the people the "Bush regime" killed in Iraq and Afghanistan and cried during it. She said she also plans to impeach Bush and Cheney in the 17 days she'd have to do it if she's elected. Good thing this bitch won't win.

(AP) SAN FRANCISCO Citing her son as inspiration, a tearful Cindy Sheehan announced her candidacy Thursday for the U.S. House of Representatives.

The anti-war activist is running as an independent against House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, who has represented San Francisco in Congress since 1987.

"The country is ripe for a change," said Sheehan, who spoke at a podium with her son's photograph taped to it. "It's going to start right here and right now."

Sheehan's 24-year-old son, Casey, was killed in Iraq in 2004. Since then, she has gained international notoriety by setting up camp outside President Bush's Texas ranch and demanding to meet with the president.

She last month announced her intention to run against Pelosi if the speaker didn't move to impeach Bush by July 23.

On Thursday, Sheehan admitted she has no funds for a campaign, but planned to immediately get started raising money. Without giving further specifics, Sheehan said she wouldn't accept money from corporations and would run on a platform of universal health care.

Daniel Ellsberg, who was arrested twice with other protesters outside Bush's Texas ranch, showed his support for Sheehan.

"There is a historic opportunity here for a campaign to help restore our republic and get us out of Iraq," he said.

Ellsberg is the former high-level Pentagon analyst who in 1969 leaked the Pentagon Papers to Congress and the media.

http://cbs13.com/topstories/local_story_221154553.html
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 03:37:43 PM »

I was just about to post this. I just saw her (for about ten seconds) on CNN.

I'm thrilled that she's running though this challenge will make Pelosi look mainstream. Let's hope for an upset here.  Wink
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 03:40:11 PM »

I'm a die hard liberal and even I hate her.  She makes our cause look like a joke.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 03:56:33 PM »

I hereby wholeheartedly endorse Nancy Pelosi for re-election to Congress; I think I may be the first but the least important endorsement she gets LOL. 
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 04:02:48 PM »

Sheehan would have my vote. This should be a fun campaign. Smiley
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 04:04:50 PM »

While I am prone to support the Republican, and I have no huge quarrel with our fine speaker, I rather hope Sheehan runs. As I've stated before, she may be crazy, but I for one think its wonderful when ordinary citizens stand up to the political machine.
Jaggerjack
Fabian_the_Fastman
Thailand

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -4.00

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007, 04:31:29 PM »

Excuse me while I bust my gut laughing.
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.58, S: -3.30

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2007, 04:36:14 PM »

She's a joke. As much as Pelosi is human scum, it will be funny to see Sheehan get her butt kicked by her.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2007, 05:17:34 PM »

Oh, I love it.  This is like a dream come true.

She is the absolute lowest form of life possible.  Someone who has completely exploit her son's death to get her name in the papers.  Even her family has disowned her.  Sad thing is, this is San Fransisco, so she could do fairly well.  Acctually, I don't think that's sad, I think its halarious, because it puts the Liberals up against this woman they "love".

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2007, 06:00:00 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Let's be honest; this stopped being about him a long time ago.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2007, 07:47:10 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Let's be honest; this stopped being about him a long time ago.

Indeed.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2007, 08:56:19 PM »

I'm just relieved that Sheehan is challenging Pelosi an an independent because of the thought of her running in a Democratic primary gives me the shudders

Dave
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2007, 06:39:15 AM »

(AP) SAN FRANCISCO Citing her son as inspiration, a tearful Cindy Sheehan announced her candidacy Thursday for the U.S. House of Representatives.
The anti-war activist is running as an independent against House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, who has represented San Francisco in Congress since 1987.

"The country is ripe for a change," said Sheehan, who spoke at a podium with her son's photograph taped to it. "It's going to start right here and right now."

Exactly how many times can she force those tears, and wh0re her son?  I'm sorry, but she has got to give it a rest. I had a friend die in Iraq, and his parents are against the war, and want our troops home, but even THEY call her crazy. They have told me that she gives the people who are against the war a bad image.

I hope she falls flat on her face.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2007, 06:48:36 AM »

I like how she said on CNN that she's confident she'll win because "I have been campaigning in that area for over 2 years".
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2007, 07:09:41 AM »

Well...........
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2007, 11:49:12 AM »

Here's the results from 2006 for CA-8

PartyCandidateVotes%
DemocraticNancy Pelosi
RepublicanMike DeNunzio
GreenKrissy Keefer
LibertarianPhilip Berg

Sheehan might be able to come in second, but no way will she cause the Republicans to pick up the seat.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2007, 12:16:52 PM »

Idiot.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2007, 07:21:07 PM »

Those quotes are founded in truth.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2007, 07:27:00 PM »

This is a God send for the Republican Party in 2008.  The Democrats are acctually going to have to (tacitly) fight the anti-war movement.  *Glee*
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2007, 07:33:49 PM »

This is a God send for the Republican Party in 2008.  The Democrats are acctually going to have to (tacitly) fight the anti-war movement.  *Glee*
Look, if this is the best the off shoot anti war indies have, I dont think we'll have to fight much of anything.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2007, 07:43:58 PM »

No, the Democrats are going to have to do absolutely nothing and have Pelosi win without even doing anything.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2007, 08:21:39 PM »

No, the Democrats are going to have to do absolutely nothing and have Pelosi win without even doing anything.

Look, if this is the best the off shoot anti war indies have, I dont think we'll have to fight much of anything.

Listen, I know these college/youth hippy, anti-war-is-the-only-issue people.  Its not gonna matter that the Democrats aren't really running againt her.  The appearance that they are running against her is all that is going to matter.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2007, 08:44:04 PM »

Listen, I know these college/youth hippy, anti-war-is-the-only-issue people.  Its not gonna matter that the Democrats aren't really running againt her.  The appearance that they are running against her is all that is going to matter.

You're missing a key point - this isn't there being some strongly anti-war independent Congresswoman who the Democrats are challenging, it's a strongly anti-war independent challenging a Democratic Congresswoman. That makes it an anti-war candidate running against a Democrat, not a Democrat running against an anti-war independent (in the same sense that, in the mind of most of the public, the incumbent should be returned unless there is something wrong with them).
sethm0

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2007, 09:28:10 PM »

Pelosi 55%
 Sheehan 35%
 Token Republican 10%
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2007, 09:40:20 PM »

Might the Greens endorse Sheehan, or even nominate her?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies