New York Republicans not quite as deceased as previously believed?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:43:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  New York Republicans not quite as deceased as previously believed?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: New York Republicans not quite as deceased as previously believed?  (Read 2230 times)
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 02, 2007, 09:45:02 AM »

So, after hearing about how Spitzer is going to carry Democrats in to control of the New York State Senate based on his coattails come the 2006 2008 elections on MyDD, DailyKos, and the like, NY Democrats lost an Assembly seat to the GOP this week.

It's Assemblyman Amedore
"Extreme Makeover" builder offers message of change in GOP win

By PAUL NELSON, Staff writer

Republican George Amedore Jr.'s victory Tuesday over Edward Kosiur ends at least two dozen years of Democratic dominance over the Assembly seat representing Montgomery and Schenectady counties.

Unofficial results show Amedore, 38, outpolled Kosiur, 51, a Schenectady County legislator, in both counties by a total of about 2,800 votes. Amedore led Kosiur by 13,666 to 10,855.

Absentee ballots won't make a difference: About 1,450 were sent out in the two counties. Turnout was about 31 percent.

Politically, Amedore built enough of a base -- in a campaign of only a few weeks -- to take the seat held for 24 years by Democrat Paul Tonko of Amsterdam. Tonko stepped down to lead the New York State Energy Research Development Authority in June, forcing the special election.

[MORE]
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 09:57:23 AM »

So, after hearing about how Spitzer is going to carry Democrats in to control of the New York State Senate based on his coattails come the 2006 2008 elections on MyDD, DailyKos, and the like, NY Democrats lost an Assembly seat to the GOP this week.

Well, you can probably add this site to that list most of the time.

To me, this looks like more of a "pro-outsider" win than a "pro-GOP" win, mimicking a lot of results we've been seeing around the country lately.
Conan
conan

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 06:46:29 PM »

Spitzer converted a republican a few weeks ago anyway. I guess this just cancels that out.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 06:56:34 PM »

Spitzer converted a republican a few weeks ago anyway. I guess this just cancels that out.

Gaining a seat via a by-election is much better than gaining one via a defection.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 07:52:35 PM »

Amedore will have to start running for reelection yesterday if he wants to hold onto that seat in 2008.  That district is one of the few upstate with a Dem registration advantage(39%-32%) and he won the seat largely due to the fact that his Democratic opponent did not run a single ad responding to Amedore's attacks.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007, 10:37:49 PM »

Amedore will have to start running for reelection yesterday if he wants to hold onto that seat in 2008.  That district is one of the few upstate with a Dem registration advantage(39%-32%) and he won the seat largely due to the fact that his Democratic opponent did not run a single ad responding to Amedore's attacks.

And, of course, the current scandal, which may blow over within the next few months or may burgeon into something huge, though the former seems more likely. (If it were just Spitzer's aides involved, it's unfortunate but not greatly harmful to Spitzer.)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007, 03:40:39 PM »

LOL at Spitzer!
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2007, 05:59:29 PM »

And, of course, the current scandal, which may blow over within the next few months or may burgeon into something huge, though the former seems more likely. (If it were just Spitzer's aides involved, it's unfortunate but not greatly harmful to Spitzer.)

Oh, certainly, I think the scandal will have blown over by then, but I don't think Spitzer will be able to resurrect those larger-than-life approval ratings he once had.  He'll have to settle for better-than-average, which really, isn't a bad place to be.
Conan
conan

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2007, 06:46:56 PM »

Gaining a seat via a by-election is much better than gaining one via a defection.
It doesn't really matter when it's the assembly. Dems own it.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2007, 04:13:33 PM »

Not necessarily. I'm assuming the defection is a fairly Democratic district (otherwise the guy wouldn't have done it and taken the risk), thus easy to hang onto, yet as pointed out, the guy who won here will have a very tough time getting reelected.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2007, 08:45:56 PM »

Oh, certainly, I think the scandal will have blown over by then, but I don't think Spitzer will be able to resurrect those larger-than-life approval ratings he once had.  He'll have to settle for better-than-average, which really, isn't a bad place to be.

No one sustains 70+% approval ratings forever. Spitzer's still quite popular.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2007, 10:03:31 PM »

No one sustains 70+% approval ratings forever.

Unless you're Brian Schweitzer or Mark Warner. Tongue
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2007, 10:43:59 PM »

No one sustains 70+% approval ratings forever.

Unless you're Brian Schweitzer or Mark Warner. Tongue

Even Schweitzer and Warner (and Palin and Lynch) slip below 70% from time to time.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies