New Jersey on UK-Sized Constituencies
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:20:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  New Jersey on UK-Sized Constituencies
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: New Jersey on UK-Sized Constituencies  (Read 3725 times)
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 02, 2007, 01:27:53 AM »
« edited: August 02, 2007, 01:44:04 AM by Verily »

It was a ton of work, but I've finally finished it. If someone can advise me as to a good place to upload Excel sheets, you can see how each district is broken down. I tried to approximate 70,000 people for district without crossing county lines except in cases where I combined counties to make quotas more even and without crossing town lines unless absolutely necessary. The geography of some counties (I'm looking at you, Ocean County), made numerous splits unfortunately necessary. In my home Bergen County, I divided no towns at all despite it containing 12 districts of its own and one shared with Hudson County; Bergen County is definitely my best achievement in all of this.

New Jersey is probably a relatively easy state to do as it has mostly small municipalities geographically, yet all of its counties are large enough for at least 1 seat (Salem County at 0.9 quotas is the smallest; County of Salem is the smallest district by over 1000 people).

Edit: Added party rankings for Bergen-Hudson and Passaic; I don't know enough about local politics to do an assessment of other county groups.

Atlantic-Cape May      
   Atlantic City   74214
   Pleasantville   69353
   Mays Landing and Hammonton   73526
   Ocean City   68503
   Cape May   69282
Bergen-Hudson      
   Ramapo Valley   69042 (Safe Republican)
   Ridgewood and Saddle River   71973 (Safe Republican)
   Westwood and Old Tappan   71182 (Likely Republican)
   Upper Northern Valley   69896 (Lean Republican)
   Lower Northern Valley   71578 --- My Constituency :-) (Safe Democrat)
   Fair Lawn and Paramus   68920 (Likely Democrat)
   Teaneck   68533 (Safe Democrat)
   Hackensack   71395 (Safe Democrat)
   Passaic Valley   67394 (Lean Democrat)
   South Hackensack and Lodi   70681 (Toss-up)
   Rutherford and The Meadowlands   67307 (Toss-up)
   Palisades North   69125 (Safe Democrat)
   Palisades South   72092 (Safe Democrat)
   Kearny and Secaucus   73245 (Likely Democrat [not so certain, could be more marginal])
   West New York   72667 (Safe Democrat)
   Union City   72088 (Safe Democrat)
   Jersey City North West   73000 (Safe Democrat, as are all other Jersey City districts)
   Jersey City North East and Hoboken   73078
   Jersey City South and Bayonne   72842
   Jersey City East   73527
   Jersey City West   73528
Burlington      
   Pine Barrens   67714
   Medford and Evesham   68701
   Moorestown and Maple Shade   73096
   Mount Holly   68564
   Burlington   72417
   Palmyra and Willingboro   72900
Camden-Gloucester      
   Camden Center   68000
   Camden East and Collingswood   68564
   Haddonfield and Westville   71187
   Bellmawr and Voorhees   68327
   Gloucester   71350
   Cherry Hill   69965
   Berlin   68429
   Franklinville and Williamstown   72760
   Washington and Deptford   68877
   Woodbury and Swedesboro   68456
   Glassboro   66791
Cumberland      
   Vineland   70089
   Bridgeton and Millville   76349
Essex-Union      
   Newark Center   68400
   Newark Branch Brook   68400
   Port Newark   68400
   Newark Westside   68346
   Irvington   69695
   Summit and Millburn   70193
   East Orange   68190
   Orange   69832
   Livingston and Caldwell   67378
   Verona   70481
   Belleville and Nutley   68290
   Bloomfield and Montclair   69954
   Elizabeth Crane Square   70000
   Elizabeth Elmora and Linden North   69568
   Linden South and Rahway   70005
   Roselle and Cranford   68961
   Union   69152
   Plainfield   69735
   Westfield   69560
Hunterdon-Warren      
   Flemington   74634
   Clinton and Washington   75454
   Phillipsburg and Hackettstown   73139
Mercer      
   Trenton Center   70000
   Trenton Gardens and Hamilton   70000
   Trenton North and Ewing   70866
   Princeton   72969
   Hightstown   66158
Middlesex      
   Jamesburg and Spotswood   67171
   Kendall Park   67734
   South River and Milltown   69078
   New Brunswick   68859
   Piscataway and Middlesex   67022
   South Plainfield and Edison   67650
   Menlo Park   68687
   Cheesequake   68456
   Amboy South and Sayreville   68290
   Amboy North and Carteret   68219
   Iselin   69000
Monmouth-Ocean      
   Freehold   68580
   Marlboro   69916
   North Shore   72691
   Lakewood   72352
   Middletown and Highlands   69802
   Red Bank and Eatontown   68027
   Long Branch   68923
   Lakehurst   72613
   Asbury Park   68797
   Wall and Beaches   67608
   Howell and Brick   72490
   Toms River, Silver Bay   71928
   Toms River, Barnegat   71607
   Point Pleasant   72086
   Beechwood and Lacey   72305
   Little Egg Harbor   70711
Morris-Somerset      
   Butler and Lincoln Park   69227
   Dover   71259
   Chester   68725
   Mount Olive and Jefferson   71843
   Parsippany   68637
   Madison and Whippany   68224
   Morristown and Bernardsville   69642
   North Plainfield and Far Hills   72798
   Somerville   69104
   Somerset South West   69754
   Bound Brook and Somerset   68490
Passaic      
   City of Passaic   68861 (Safe Democrat)
   Clifton   68672 (Safe Democrat)
   Paterson Lake View   68222 (Safe Democrat)
   Paterson Eastside   68000 (Safe Democrat)
   Paterson Garrett Mountain   67731 (Safe Democrat)
   Haledon and Pompton Plains   70241 (Lean Republican)
   Bloomingdale and West Milford   67322 (Safe Republican)
Salem      
   County of Salem   65285
Sussex      
   Andover and Hopatcong   71759
   North Sussex   72407
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 01:31:22 AM »

Impressive work. At 70,000 constituents per riding, we'd have over 4000 Congressmen. Just what America needs :-)
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 11:03:28 AM »

How far did you go out with the Rutherford + The Meadows.  The current EnCap is swinging Rutherford hard-right, while East Rutherford is moving slowly left due to some of the decisions of the mayor.  However, Lyndhurst is conservative as I believe Carlstadt is, but North Arlington is rather liberal.  However, great analysis
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 11:39:18 AM »

How far did you go out with the Rutherford + The Meadows.  The current EnCap is swinging Rutherford hard-right, while East Rutherford is moving slowly left due to some of the decisions of the mayor.  However, Lyndhurst is conservative as I believe Carlstadt is, but North Arlington is rather liberal.  However, great analysis

All five were within two points of 50-50 in 2004. Rutherford voted 52% Kerry; East Rutherford voted 50% Kerry with Bush on 49%; Bush won North Arlington by 6 votes; Carlstadt and Lyndhurst both voted 50% Bush with Kerry on 49%. That's the entire district, though I considered splitting off some of Kearny to add to the district as its the smallest district in Bergen-Hudson. Easily the most marginal district.

I can't imagine any of them are actually swinging substantially to the right or to the Republicans at anything more than the local level; much of the Republican vote in Southwest Bergen County is the slowly decaying remnant of the Italian-American Republican machine.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 03:00:19 PM »

All five were within two points of 50-50 in 2004. Rutherford voted 52% Kerry; East Rutherford voted 50% Kerry with Bush on 49%; Bush won North Arlington by 6 votes; Carlstadt and Lyndhurst both voted 50% Bush with Kerry on 49%. That's the entire district, though I considered splitting off some of Kearny to add to the district as its the smallest district in Bergen-Hudson. Easily the most marginal district.

I can't imagine any of them are actually swinging substantially to the right or to the Republicans at anything more than the local level; much of the Republican vote in Southwest Bergen County is the slowly decaying remnant of the Italian-American Republican machine.
Good points, however, I notice towns like Rutherford, East Rutherford, North Arlington, etc. seem to have massive swings one way or the other every decade or so.  They seem to always want change and always think after awhile the other party will bring it, only to be sadly mistaken.  However, what an interesting election that would be.  I assume it would Rich DiLaschio against Bernadette McPherson which would produce an interesting result.  However, if you do not live around that area (which no one besides myself and in proximity Verily does) you have no idea what I am talking about an I apoligize for rambling.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007, 03:06:29 PM »

I love the fact that you named one of the districts Cheesequake.

Good points, however, I notice towns like Rutherford, East Rutherford, North Arlington, etc. seem to have massive swings one way or the other every decade or so.  They seem to always want change and always think after awhile the other party will bring it, only to be sadly mistaken.  However, what an interesting election that would be.  I assume it would Rich DiLaschio against Bernadette McPherson which would produce an interesting result.  However, if you do not live around that area (which no one besides myself and in proximity Verily does) you have no idea what I am talking about an I apoligize for rambling.

I do, and assume those toss-up districts would still wind up going Democratic thanks to Ferriero's influence and money.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2007, 03:08:24 PM »

I do, and assume those toss-up districts would still wind up going Democratic thanks to Ferriero's influence and money.
Look at the towns though, Lyndhurst, East Rutherford, Carlstadt all have Republican mayors (not sure about Carlstadt actually) and I'd be willing to put on money on Rutherford electing a Republican mayor this year (remember Van Winkle only lost by 200 votes last time and EnCap was not yet an issue).  These are areas that are/were Republican for the most part
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2007, 03:16:27 PM »

Were being the operative word.  I think the New Jersey/New York GOP's historical lock on the Italian community is all but over.

I don't deny that those towns have Republican mayors...but the 36th District has Republican mayors all over it and Republicans couldn't elect someone district-wide to save their lives.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2007, 03:19:15 PM »

Were being the operative word.  I think the New Jersey/New York GOP's historical lock on the Italian community is all but over.

I don't deny that those towns have Republican mayors...but the 36th District has Republican mayors all over it and Republicans couldn't elect someone district-wide to save their lives.
The fact that we don't have an actual candidate certainly does not help either.  I think the fact remains that the disaster with EnCap coupled with the property tax disaster is going to push Rutherford to where it votes about 55% Republican, coupled with other marginally Republican towns to the point where Republicans squeak out a slim, slim victory.  My point is also that the election would certainly be competitive.  I'm still a little confused, however, how far this district stretches.  Does it include towns like Wood Ridge and Hasbrouck Heights that I cannot speak to their voting patterns?
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2007, 10:54:03 PM »

The fact that we don't have an actual candidate certainly does not help either.  I think the fact remains that the disaster with EnCap coupled with the property tax disaster is going to push Rutherford to where it votes about 55% Republican, coupled with other marginally Republican towns to the point where Republicans squeak out a slim, slim victory.  My point is also that the election would certainly be competitive.  I'm still a little confused, however, how far this district stretches.  Does it include towns like Wood Ridge and Hasbrouck Heights that I cannot speak to their voting patterns?

Both are swing towns, but Hasbrouck Heights has had much stronger GOP showings than Wood-Ridge has over recent history, IIRC.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2007, 11:21:58 PM »

I had to. I had hoped to be able to include a district called "Hoboken and Weehawken" and one including Ho-Ho-Kus in the name, but the opportunities didn't arise.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2007, 09:00:43 PM »

Just for fun, I made a map of the Bergen County seats. Note that "Fair Lawn" was misspelled "Fairlawn" on the base map. I'm not fond of the shape of the Teaneck district, which should really contain Bogota and omit New Milford, but that made for too small a seat.

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2007, 04:21:24 AM »

More maps please. Smiley

Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2007, 09:07:13 AM »

The problem with more maps is that most other counties have split towns, sometimes split many ways, and I don't have data at the district level to determine which areas go where. I may do more when I get a chance, but they won't look as good as this one.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2007, 10:57:06 AM »
« Edited: September 04, 2007, 10:59:27 AM by Verily »

Well, I'm feeling generous, so here's Hudson County. The borders in North Bergen and Jersey City are arbitrary (JC is Jersey City):

Another good name for Jersey City Docks/Jersey City East would be Jersey City Liberty Park.

Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2007, 11:15:55 AM »

And Passaic County. The divisions of Paterson and Clifton are arbitrary. I don't like the names for the Passaic seats; Eastside is a district of Paterson, but the name stinks. I considered Paterson Silk District, since that was where the old silk factories were, but that isn't a great name either. Paterson West almost became Paterson Garrett Mountain, but I'm not sure if Garrett Mountain would even be wholly within that seat.

Notice the immense size difference in districts between upper and lower Passaic County. It's the most arbitrary county I've ever seen.

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2007, 11:20:05 AM »

If they actually were U.K constituencies, Paterson Eastside would likely just be Paterson East, while Paterson Lakeview would likely just be Paterson South.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2007, 02:22:21 PM »
« Edited: September 04, 2007, 02:38:14 PM by Verily »

If they actually were U.K constituencies, Paterson Eastside would likely just be Paterson East, while Paterson Lakeview would likely just be Paterson South.

I did that in some areas (Jersey City), but I did try to be more creative from time to time. Larger cities such as Birmingham, Manchester, etc. get names other than "Central" and "Northeast".
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2007, 02:27:33 PM »

I did that in some areas (Jersey City), but I did try to be more creative from time to time (you'll see that when I do a map for Essex County). Larger cities such as Birmingham, Manchester, etc. get names other than "Central" and "Northeast".

True of most cities with more than three seats, yes (though not always; all of the Glasgow seats are now compass-pointed... a tragedy as Glasgow used to have some of the best constituency names in the country) though in the case of Brum the seats are just named after wards.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2007, 02:28:57 PM »

Mind you, there are a handful of smaller cities that retain their old names: Southampton, Plymouth.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2007, 02:31:46 PM »

Mind you, there are a handful of smaller cities that retain their old names: Southampton, Plymouth.

True o/c. The boundary commision isn't really very consistent with such things.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2007, 02:51:44 PM »

I changed Newark Westside to Newark West for this map.

The Orange district is horrendous; it contains heavily black and urban poor Orange and heavily white and extremely affluent South Orange as well as parts of West Orange that are similar to South Orange. I might be accused of racial gerrymandering with that one. By contrast, the East Orange district is 89% black, reflecting the City of East Orange. Also, the irritating municipal boundary between Irvington and Newark makes the Newark West district a wonky shape; it might be better to slice up Irvington to make the districts well-formed.

I couldn't find a nice labeled map of Essex County, so you'll have to do without municipality labels. There's a good labeled map on Wikipedia, but it's unusable for image editing.

Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2007, 04:45:27 PM »

My thanks to the Union County Democratic Party for the very nice map. Union County's constituencies turned out nicely, I think.

Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2007, 07:52:28 PM »
« Edited: September 04, 2007, 07:57:21 PM by Verily »

Morris County, not too exciting. Victory Gardens gave me headaches. Counting only Morris County, though, I managed to make do with only one municipality split (Mount Olive Twp); Morristown and Bernardsville contains a municipality split in Somerset County.

I'll offer my opinion on political leanings here, too. Madison and Whippany would be safe for the Democrats, and Parsippany likewise, though slightly more competitive. Morristown and Bernardsville and Dover would be competitive but probably Republican, and Chester, Butler and Lincoln Park, and Mount Olive and Jefferson would be safe for the Republicans.

Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2007, 11:45:12 AM »

Morristown and Bernardsville would be safe Republican.  Madison and Whippany would be competitive and Parsippany leans Democratic and Dover leans Republican.  Morris County has very few Democratic areas and on your map they are often offset by Republican areas.  Parsippany is moderately liberal but Boonton and Mountain Lakes are very conservative, Hanover and East Hanover are liberal but Chatham and Madison are very conservative.

I think I agree with this.  I'd expect all the Morris Co. districts to have elected Republicans in 2003, but as Morris starts looking more and more competitive, I'd expect Democrats to have targeted a few in 2007.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies