IL-18: LaHood not running for re-election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 07, 2024, 12:49:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  IL-18: LaHood not running for re-election
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: IL-18: LaHood not running for re-election  (Read 2430 times)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 27, 2007, 09:47:06 AM »

This was a 58% Bush CD in 2004.

Likely candidates appear to be Dem State Senator John Sullivan and GOP State Reps Aaron Schock and David Leitch, among others.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/thecrypt/0707/Ray_LaHood_announces_retirement.html
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 11:22:30 AM »

Strong Lean R
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 11:35:59 PM »

The Peoria Journal-Star has a good take on the early contenders. Rep. Schock is a dynamite campaigner who won a state rep seat at the age of 22 against a D incumbent in a 60-40 D district three years ago.

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 11:43:03 PM »

I drove through this district this weekend. Talk about BORING. Even ND has more interesting scenery than here.

Still not as hickish as IL-15 though. That might as well be Mississippi. I could barely understand the people in the gas stations there because their drawls were so thick.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 12:30:00 AM »

I drove through this district this weekend. Talk about BORING. Even ND has more interesting scenery than here.

Still not as hickish as IL-15 though. That might as well be Mississippi. I could barely understand the people in the gas stations there because their drawls were so thick.

Which part of the district were you in? Peorians have little drawl to my north-midwestern ear. I agree that it can get thick in southern and southeastern IL, particularly south of I-64.

Also I'm a bit surprised by your thoughts of the scenery. Granted there's a lot of flat farmland, but the Illinois River valley has a bit of interest compared to the plains.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2007, 12:34:08 AM »

I-74 that runs through Peoria. No one in Peoria sounded different from most people in Minnesota, but Danville and that area around it, might as well be the south. And I mostly just saw lots of flat empty farmland and not much else.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2007, 12:49:06 AM »

I-74 that runs through Peoria. No one in Peoria sounded different from most people in Minnesota, but Danville and that area around it, might as well be the south. And I mostly just saw lots of flat empty farmland and not much else.

I apologize that I'm engaging you on two separate threads. I find Danville to be like central IN. If you want southern sound in IL try going about two or three counties further south from there.

I can see that if you stay on I-74 you miss the valley since all you see is the city of Peoria. It would be like going on I-35 from Des Moines to Duluth. You would hardly recognize the features of the Mississippi/Minnesota valley since it's largely lost in the urban area. But obviously it's quite different from the sourrounding flatlands as one goes southeast towards Red Wing.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2007, 12:02:27 AM »

Good riddance.  Good luck to Schock.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2007, 02:14:25 PM »

State Sen. John Sullivan (D) will not be running for the seat.

State Rep. David Leitch (R) says that if State Rep. Adam Schock (R) runs for the seat, it is "very unlikely" he would run.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/thecrypt/0807/Democratic_recruit_opts_not_to_run_in_LaHoods_district.html

Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2007, 02:17:29 PM »

Good riddance.  Good luck to Schock.

What he said.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2007, 08:15:18 PM »

A couple of additional Rs are looking at the race.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

And then there's LaHood's son, though many expect him to be more interested in the State's Attorney race.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2007, 12:27:34 AM »

Darin LaHood < Daniel Lipinski
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2007, 10:37:00 AM »
« Edited: August 05, 2007, 10:43:31 AM by muon2 »

Rep. Schock has announced that he's in. I expect him to draw the majority of endorsements and support. He raised over a million in the last cycle for his state house seat.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2007, 02:46:02 PM »

Rep. Schock has announced that he's in. I expect him to draw the majority of endorsements and support. He raised over a million in the last cycle for his state house seat.

A 26 year old State Representative raising over a million for a State House race? Rising star, anyone?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2007, 09:40:02 AM »
« Edited: August 09, 2007, 09:45:32 AM by LEWIS-T »

The Peoria Journal-Star has a good take on the early contenders. Rep. Schock is a dynamite campaigner who won a state rep seat at the age of 22 against a D incumbent in a 60-40 D district three years ago.

I assume that that's partisan registration, and the 2004 presidential result looks quite different? What kind of district is it?

EDIT: Entirely in Peoria County, which is worth about 1.8 districts or so. Probably fairly urban, then.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2007, 02:38:52 PM »

I assume that that's partisan registration, and the 2004 presidential result looks quite different? What kind of district is it?

EDIT: Entirely in Peoria County, which is worth about 1.8 districts or so. Probably fairly urban, then.

I don't know exactly how Peoria County is split up and I can't find an actual map of the Illinois General Assembly districts for this decade, nor anything about precinct data.  As I'm sure you know, Peoria was about 50-50 in the 2004 general.

muon2 can probably answer the rest of our questions.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2007, 12:09:18 AM »

I don't know exactly how Peoria County is split up and I can't find an actual map of the Illinois General Assembly districts for this decade, nor anything about precinct data.  As I'm sure you know, Peoria was about 50-50 in the 2004 general.

muon2 can probably answer the rest of our questions.

Here's a link to the official map. The 92nd district is entirely urban Peoria, and was expected to be safe D when the map was drawn. The 91st Rep and 46th Senate (which includes those two rep seats) are held by Dems as intended by the mappers. The northern part of Peoria has the newer subdivisions and rural area and is in the safely R 73rd.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2007, 12:57:54 AM »

I don't understand how Schock won election in the first place.  Didn't Ricca Slone make it clear enough that he was a dirty queer?  Sad
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2007, 05:16:58 PM »

I don't understand how Schock won election in the first place.  Didn't Ricca Slone make it clear enough that he was a dirty queer?  Sad

Rep. Slone had her own problems. The Peoria Pundit had this analysis including the following:

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies