Obama Supports Sex Ed for Kindergarten Students
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:33:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Obama Supports Sex Ed for Kindergarten Students
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Obama Supports Sex Ed for Kindergarten Students  (Read 3514 times)
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 21, 2007, 04:57:22 PM »

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2007/07/19/277886.aspx

And this joke wants to be president? God Forbid!
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007, 05:03:00 PM »

Did you even read the article?  Obama wants to teach kindergarten students about inappropriate touching so they know the basics of protecting themselves from sexual predators.

But no, instead we get sound bytes like "Obama supports sex ed for kindergarten students, hurrrr".  Honestly.
nlm
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 07:21:11 PM »

Did you even read the article?  Obama wants to teach kindergarten students about inappropriate touching so they know the basics of protecting themselves from sexual predators.

But no, instead we get sound bytes like "Obama supports sex ed for kindergarten students, hurrrr".  Honestly.

I guess the two previous threads covering this topic started by folks that hadn't read what Obama said were not enough. A third thread of misleading BS - excellent!! Is there some kind of contest to see who can dumb down debate the most?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 07:26:16 PM »

I guess the two previous threads covering this topic started by folks that hadn't read what Obama said were not enough. A third thread of misleading BS - excellent!! Is there some kind of contest to see who can dumb down debate the most?

I think my favorite part was how the link posted here was a link to a direct refutation of the idea that Obama supports sex ed for kindergarten students.
nlm
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 07:36:31 PM »
« Edited: July 21, 2007, 07:40:42 PM by nlm »

I think my favorite part was how the link posted here was a link to a direct refutation of the idea that Obama supports sex ed for kindergarten students.

Yep - kind of funny, but not really in a HA HA sort of way since it's a fairly regular occurence both on this board and in American politics in general. Are Canadian politics this stupid?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2007, 09:34:05 PM »

Sex education is obviously a good idea for 3rd/4th graders, and maybe younger in poorer areas.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2007, 09:45:02 PM »

Grow up and/or learn how to read.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2007, 09:48:23 PM »

It's somewhat amusing that the same people who don't support sex education are the same ones who don't support abortion.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2007, 10:23:49 PM »

It's somewhat amusing that the same people who don't support sex education are the same ones who don't support abortion.

Ignorance at its finest.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2007, 10:27:28 PM »

Ignorance at its finest.

I must admit that I was generalizing just a bit.

Or were you referring to the ignorance of others?
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2007, 10:34:12 PM »

[Or were you referring to the ignorance of others?

Yes. I was basically just agreeing 100% with what you said.

It's no coincidence that divorce rates and teen pregnancy rates are highest in the South. 
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2007, 10:36:24 PM »

Yes, because some of us think that some sex education is a bit much at a premature age. And, for the record, I support sex education.

It's no coincidence that divorce rates and teen pregnancy rates are highest in the South. 

Roll Eyes

Or could we say that poverty is the main factor there (especially with divorce)?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2007, 10:40:44 PM »

Yep - kind of funny, but not really in a HA HA sort of way since it's a fairly regular occurence both on this board and in American politics in general. Are Canadian politics this stupid?

Unfortunately, yes.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2007, 11:00:37 PM »

It's not as if Obama supports the complete, graphic explanation that kids will get as they age, that obviously wouldn't be "age appropriate". What I believe he is saying is that teachers should be able to give young ones a more accurate answer than simply giving them the story of the stork, which is pretty laughable these days.

What would the teacher say to the student? Who knows, it would depends on the teacher of course; I would probably respond with "Well...that's something that you may want to ask your parents".

Also parents would be able to have a choice of what their children learn. Where I went to school the parents were invited to preview the sex ed. classes to see if that's what they wanted their child to learn. If not, parents were allowed to allow their children to go to the library instead of participate in the class. I believe what Obama was talking about would be something similar.

It seems that kids really are growing up faster than they used to these days. I'd much rather educate them on these things than have to deal with the mistakes later.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2007, 11:11:19 PM »

It seems that kids really are growing up faster than they used to these days. I'd much rather educate them on these things than have to deal with the mistakes later.

Or we could work to correct why children are considered "grown up" when it comes to sex by second grade. I think there is something wrong with that.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2007, 11:18:18 PM »

Or we could work to correct why children are considered "grown up" when it comes to sex by second grade. I think there is something wrong with that.

I personally don't have a problem teaching youths responsible notions about sex (ie it may be a bad idea to engage in sex outside of marriage/or committed relationship [and basing those reasons on concepts that aren't really religious], but if you do, take precautions A, B or C...)

Perhaps 2nd graders are a bit young...but if they're capable of understanding, why not start teaching them responsibility?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2007, 11:20:47 PM »

I personally don't have a problem teaching youths responsible notions about sex (ie it may be a bad idea to engage in sex outside of marriage/or committed relationship [and basing those reasons on concepts that aren't really religious], but if you do, take precautions A, B or C...)

Perhaps 2nd graders are a bit young...but if they're capable of understanding, why not start teaching them responsibility?

When they're that young, leave it to the parents.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2007, 11:25:59 PM »

What's your plan to do that?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2007, 11:28:22 PM »

Interesting fact:

State with the highest teen pregnancy rate:  Mississippi
Amount of sex education I received in 13 years of public school in Mississippi:  none, because sex education is not legal
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2007, 11:29:32 PM »

Well, it's stuff like these sex ed courses reaching into the lower grades. We can start by ending that at such a young age.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2007, 11:31:43 PM »

Well, it's stuff like these sex ed courses reaching into the lower grades. We can start by ending that at such a young age.

Sex education causes kids to become sexually active?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2007, 11:34:37 PM »

Sex education causes kids to become sexually active?

Kids are very curious at that age and experiment. Now there are obviously other factors in society that cause children to become sexually active but I'm not suggesting that we can regulate everything.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2007, 11:38:07 PM »

If they're going to be receiving the information any way I'd rather have them receive information that is accurate; instead of what they saw on the movie their mom and dad were watching that night or what little Jimmy told them his brother told him on the school bus.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2007, 11:44:51 PM »
« Edited: July 22, 2007, 01:03:32 PM by Sen. Keystone Phil »

If they're going to be receiving the information any way I'd rather have them receive information that is accurate; instead of what they saw on the movie their mom and dad were watching that night or what little Jimmy told them his brother told him on the school bus.

Half of the kids in these classes might not have heard anything though. Bringing in sex ed at such a young age then brings it to everyone and I don't think that's appropriate at such an age. I just don't agree with the mentality of "well they'll hear it anyway so let's just let them know now."
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2007, 11:48:13 PM »

Half of the kids in these classes might not have heard anything though. Bringing in sex ed at such a young age then brings it to everyone and I don't think that's appropriate at such an age.

See here...
Also parents would be able to have a choice of what their children learn. Where I went to school the parents were invited to preview the sex ed. classes to see if that's what they wanted their child to learn. If not, parents were allowed to allow their children to go to the library instead of participate in the class. I believe what Obama was talking about would be something similar.

I just don't agree with the mentality of "well they'll hear it anyway so let's just let them know now."

That may be where the disagreement stems from.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies