Gert Clark talked Wes out of dropping out after "win"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:17:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Gert Clark talked Wes out of dropping out after "win"
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gert Clark talked Wes out of dropping out after "win"  (Read 2269 times)
emergingDmajority1
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 04, 2004, 08:44:23 PM »

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040204/ap_on_el_pr/democrats_142

Kerry's Rivals Aim for Wisconsin Showdown    
Wed Feb 4, 4:48 PM ET  

By RON FOURNIER, AP Political Writer

John Kerry (news - web sites)'s chief rivals all but ceded three weekend elections to the high-striding presidential front-runner on Wednesday, covering their retreat with fresh claims that he is a flip-flopping Washington insider who would lead the party to defeat this fall.

Southern natives John Edwards (news - web sites) and Wesley Clark (news - web sites) pointed their cash-strapped campaigns to next Tuesday's elections in Tennessee and Virginia, gambling that they can survive to fight Kerry in Wisconsin Feb. 17. A third challenger, Howard Dean (news - web sites), also had his sights set on a Wisconsin showdown.

The odds are stacked against all three. In a war of attrition, Kerry has the most allies, the longest supply lines and weakened adversaries.

"Without money, you can't have the troops. Without troops, you can't compete. How can you compete with a guy who can write himself a check for ads in California?" said Michigan pollster Ed Sarpolus.

Clark, Edwards and Dean hope to rise out of Wisconsin as the only alternative to Kerry when the race turns to contests in California, New York and eight other "Super Tuesday" states March 2.

Two officials close to Clark, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the retired Army general considered dropping out of the race Tuesday night after scoring a single victory, a nail-biter in Oklahoma. They said his wife, Gert, helped talk him into staying in the race against the advice of some backers.

In another sign of trouble, Clark's staff agreed to a pay freeze to pay for television ads.

The hopes of Edwards, Clark and Dean hinged on two matters that were out of their control — Kerry's performance and his past. A plodding and imperfect campaigner, the Massachusetts senator could make a mistake or be scorched under the spotlight cast upon his nearly 20-year record in the Senate.

To that end, the challengers are trumpeting media reports about Kerry's ties to special interests and lobbyists.

"If we're going to have a president who's not a Washington insider, who knows the changes that need to take place in Washington to change America, I need to be the president," Edwards told CNN the day after he won South Carolina to keep his candidacy alive.

Kerry won five states and the lion's share of the delegates Tuesday, taking command of the race. Of the 269 delegates up for grabs, Kerry won 144, Edwards 66, Clark 50, Dean seven and Al Sharpton (news - web sites) two.

Dean suggested that "it'll be more of the same" if Kerry replaces Bush in the White House. Clark criticized both Kerry and Edwards, faulting them for complaining about White House policies that they had backed in the Senate.

Michigan and Washington state hold caucuses Saturday, and Maine comes a day later for a total of 224 pledged delegates — nearly as many that were at stake Tuesday.

Clark and Edwards do not plan to visit the states. Their strategists, focused on Tuesday's must-win Southern races, believe that Kerry will dominate the weekend contests.

In Michigan, where 128 delegates are at stake, polls show Kerry leading Edwards and Dean by more than 40 percentage points. He also has the endorsement of Gov. Jennifer Granholm.

There are no public polls in Washington state and Maine, but strategists for all four campaigns said Kerry should win easily. Kerry's internal polls show him safely leading in both states, sources close to the senator said.

Dean's strategists hold out a glimmer of hope because Washington has a history of backing underdogs and Maine has a small, unpredictable Democratic voting base.

Confident of victory, Kerry opted not to advertise in the weekend states, though he will travel to them. Dean had no choice; he is short on money and is saving his resources for Wisconsin. And yet, to the dismay of his senior advisers, Dean raised expectations Wednesday.

"We are going to win the Washington caucuses," he said in Seattle.

One top adviser to the former Vermont governor, speaking on condition of anonymity, said Dean will regret the remark when he loses. Another aide, when told of Dean's comment, wrote it off as an example of his boss' lack of discipline.

Looking ahead to Wisconsin, Edwards and Clark decided Wednesday to air ads in the state.

Kerry hopes to knock one or both of them out of the race next week, thus he decided to air ads in Tennessee, Virginia and the District of Columbia. The latter is an expensive TV market that reaches into heavily Democratic northern Virginia. Clark and Edwards are buying ads in Virginia and Tennessee, but not in the critical northern Virginia market.

Edwards e-mailed supporters a plea for money. Touting his double-digit South Carolina victory, he wrote, "Help provide the resources needed for the victories ahead."

Kerry told potential donors to join a winning campaign. "This is your chance," he wrote in an e-mail.

Dean, winless in nine elections, may soon come under pressure to end his campaign.

Democratic Party chairman Terry McAuliffe has said any candidate who failed to win a state by the first week in February should assess their candidacy. Will he ask Dean to go?

"No," the chairman told NBC on Wednesday. "Howard's going to make up his own mind."

Mr. Fresh
faulfrisch
United States
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2004, 08:49:38 PM »

There was a lot of military talk in that...
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2004, 11:31:23 PM »

Maine could go to any of the candidates, IMO. They do have a wacky record of selecting governors, so they could easily choose either Edwards, Dean, or Clark instead of dominating the vote for Kerry (although i do think he'll get a sizable portion of votes -- between 20-30%)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2004, 08:04:10 AM »

Maine could go to any of the candidates, IMO. They do have a wacky record of selecting governors, so they could easily choose either Edwards, Dean, or Clark instead of dominating the vote for Kerry (although i do think he'll get a sizable portion of votes -- between 20-30%)
Maine is Kerry country, ME is a New England state.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2004, 11:55:25 AM »

The only thing that can stop Kerry now is an upset in WA, ME or WI. Even if Edwards, or Clark, manages to win VA and TN it won't be enough to stop the Kerry sweep on Super Tuesday.
M

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2004, 03:31:31 PM »

Maine is Kerry country. But he will not, repeat not, win Tennesse, nor will Clark. M can now call that race for Edwards beyond a shadow of a doubt. Virginia should be very interesting. But I would give Edwards the advantage.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2004, 03:35:25 PM »

Maine is Kerry country. But he will not, repeat not, win Tennesse, nor will Clark. M can now call that race for Edwards beyond a shadow of a doubt. Virginia should be very interesting. But I would give Edwards the advantage.
Kerry still can win Tennessee...I just don't think he will.  I agree that Virginia is too close to call.

Tennessee poll done 1/31 to 2/2:

Kerry 31%
Clark 26%
Edwards 20%
Dean 15%
other 6%
undecided 3%

Virginia poll done 1/27 to 1/29:

Kerry 32%
Clark 17%
Edwards 17%
Dean 14%
Sharpton 9%
other 6%
undecided 5%
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2004, 03:58:46 PM »

9% for Sharpton is a little surprising. I was thinking more between 1-5% for him in VA.
M

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2004, 04:07:43 PM »

I guess there just aren't too many dem primary voters in VA, so African Americans are a large percentage. These polls are ancient history and mean nothing, sorry!
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2004, 04:11:38 PM »

9% for Sharpton is a little surprising. I was thinking more between 1-5% for him in VA.
Sharpton only took 20% of the black vote in SC.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2004, 04:38:13 PM »

I guess there just aren't too many dem primary voters in VA, so African Americans are a large percentage. These polls are ancient history and mean nothing, sorry!

Since they were made, who do you think have benefited then? Kerry might have added to his momentum... Sad
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies