In case anyone's kinda wondering about that whole Georgia 10 Special Election...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:10:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  In case anyone's kinda wondering about that whole Georgia 10 Special Election...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: In case anyone's kinda wondering about that whole Georgia 10 Special Election...  (Read 3533 times)
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 17, 2007, 09:37:16 PM »

GEORGIA 10 - SPECIAL ELECTION
317 of 325 Reporting (97.5%)

PAUL BROUN (R) - 23,459 (50.40%)
JIM WHITEHEAD (R) - 23,088 (49.60%)

Whitehead is getting drubbed in Athens like you wouldn't believe.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 09:50:08 PM »

Go Broun! I've been rooting for you since the primary! Grin
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 10:34:16 PM »

They don't strike me as being all that different although it would be nice to see Whitehead get beaten simply due to his sense of entitlement.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 11:00:39 PM »

And because he said Athens should be bombed. I'm glad to see him lose to show there's consequences for that type of sh!t. Looks like Broun got 89% in Athens.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 11:11:37 PM »

Looks like there will be an automatic recount.  If Broun does manage to hold I, expect he'll get bounced from office in 2008.  I doubt he can win a straight up GOP primary, and if he does, a Democrat might just pick up the seat.  Broun's getting a lot of his votes from non-Republicans solely because he's not Whitehead.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 11:38:40 PM »

Looks like there will be an automatic recount.  If Broun does manage to hold I, expect he'll get bounced from office in 2008.  I doubt he can win a straight up GOP primary, and if he does, a Democrat might just pick up the seat.  Broun's getting a lot of his votes from non-Republicans solely because he's not Whitehead.

No Democrat's winning that seat.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 11:40:29 PM »

What he said.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2007, 07:08:42 AM »

Who of the two is the least batsh**t wing of a nut?

Dave
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2007, 07:21:15 AM »

What he said.

What he said.  Too much classically Republican suburbs.  Columbia County, for example, is not voting for any Democrat.  And actually, Broun performed pretty well in the rural areas of the CD.

His greatest challenge will be a GOP primary with someone like Whitehead who can pull well from Columbia.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2007, 07:35:57 AM »

Dave

Quite frankly, Broun.  But he's more independent than a Whitehead vote would be.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2007, 09:05:51 AM »

Dave

Quite frankly, Broun.  But he's more independent than a Whitehead vote would be.

I had always thought Whitehead to be the most "mainstream" of the two, but in this CD, it's like the difference between "eggshell" and "off-white."

Not much change in the results since last night, BTW—one extra precinct reported in, leaving just seven outstanding.  I'm not even sure there will be a total of 374 votes in those seven, so the results should stand.

GEORGIA 10 - SPECIAL ELECTION
318 of 325 Reporting (97.8%)

PAUL BROUN (R) - 23,473 (50.40%)
JIM WHITEHEAD (R) - 23,100 (49.60%)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2007, 09:39:11 AM »

Dave

I had always thought Whitehead to be the most "mainstream" of the two, but in this CD, it's like the difference between "eggshell" and "off-white."

That's a fair analogy.  I presumed the question Dem Hawk was trying to ask and I gave what I thought to be the clear answer. 

I don't think Whitehead stood for replacing the income tax with the Fair Tax (sales tax) as Broun did.  Neither did Whitehead stand for creating a fence along the canadian border, as did Broun.

Of course, Broun had his libertarian streak, as he wants gay marriage and marijuana legalization left to the states.  But he is also somewhat of a gun nut and has a little screed on his website against the ACLU.

"Off-white", definitely...
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2007, 11:37:51 AM »

Broun is crazy, but there's no way Whitehead should've won after his comment about Athens. Athens paid him back for it.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2007, 12:19:00 PM »

Its THAT close.... wow...
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2007, 04:22:10 PM »

What he said.

What he said.  Too much classically Republican suburbs.  Columbia County, for example, is not voting for any Democrat.  And actually, Broun performed pretty well in the rural areas of the CD.

A Democrat does not have to win Columbia County to win the district, but get at least 39% there.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2007, 04:29:43 PM »

What he said.

A Democrat does not have to win Columbia County to win the district, but get at least 39% there.

True, but when's the last time that happened (since 1994)?  Zell Miller is the only one, I would guess.  I would presume the Democrat would have to rack up similar gains in the other counties as well.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2007, 06:40:48 PM »

Broun against a Columbia County Democrat would be an interesting race in 2008.  As a Republican, Broun would still be favored of course, but it would not be impossible for him to lose the general election.  However since he likely will be the underdog in the primary election as well, I don't think the Democrats need to worry about anything other than finding a sacrificial lamb to run against whoever the Republicans choose to replace Broun in 2008.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2007, 07:03:04 PM »

What he said.

True, but when's the last time that happened (since 1994)?  Zell Miller is the only one, I would guess.  I would presume the Democrat would have to rack up similar gains in the other counties as well.

Roy Barnes got 37% in Columbia in 1998 and Max Cleland got 34% there in 1996.  The only one that surpassed the neccassary 39% was Miller in 2000 who got 48% there.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2007, 12:42:40 PM »

By Aaron Blake
July 19, 2007

Former state Sen. Jim Whitehead’s campaign headquarters was in a state of panic Tuesday afternoon, with senior officials shifting staffers from victory-party preparations to last-minute turnout operations.

By yesterday evening, it was apparent that the Republican front-runner’s late efforts were for naught. Physician Paul Broun, also a Republican, was headed for a major upset in Georgia’s 10th congressional district special-election runoff.
The result stunned Whitehead’s supporters, who expected their candidate to sail to victory on the strength of backing by party leaders and a large fundraising advantage.

In the end, the campaign was doomed by internal dissension and the judgment to spurn the Athens area, from which Broun hails, said one Whitehead operative.

“There was a decision made early on to, basically, tell Athens to shove it and ignore them,” the operative said. “We didn’t go to their debates; we got in a big confrontation with The Athens Banner-Herald. In retrospect, those things were a big mistake, because it really galvanized the Athens area against Jim Whitehead.”

Broun led the heavily favored Whitehead by 373 votes out of more than 46,000 votes cast yesterday evening, with 98 percent of precincts reporting.

Broun’s margin of 50.4 percent to 49.6 percent means the race is probably headed for a recount, which is triggered if the difference is less than 1 percentage point.

Only military, overseas and provisional ballots remain to be counted.

As of press time, Broun had not declared victory and Whitehead had not conceded. Whitehead looked ready to wait for the result to be certified, which could take more than a week.

Broun, the son of longtime Democratic state legislator Paul Broun Sr., is the only doctor in Georgia whose practice focuses almost entirely on house calls. To make up for a large fundraising gap between himself and Whitehead, he spent more than $200,000 of his own money on the campaign.

Last month, he narrowly made the runoff with 21 percent, edging a Democrat by less than half a percent. Whitehead took 45 percent of the vote, shy of the 50 percent needed to avoid the runoff.

Whitehead hails from Augusta and had the backing of former Rep. Charles Norwood’s (R) staff and supporters, who wanted to keep the campaign office in their area. Norwood died this year, leaving the seat vacant.

Broun won both Athens-based Clarke County and nearby Oconee County with nearly 90 percent of the vote. But he also managed to get more than 25 percent in both of Whitehead’s strongholds — Augusta-based Richmond County and Columbia County.

Those four counties accounted for more than half of ballots cast Tuesday.

Charles Bullock, a political science professor at the University of Georgia, said a number of campaign gaffes cost Whitehead dearly.

Bullock referred specifically to the handling of Whitehead’s past joke about bombing the university because it was so liberal and his statements that he would be the congressman from Augusta, as opposed to the whole district.

“The more he talked, the more people he alienated,” Bullock said.

Sherry Barnes, chairwoman of the Richmond County Republican Party and a Whitehead supporter, said Whitehead voters might have become complacent after he won such a big percentage in the special election last month.

“We were very shocked, very surprised,” Barnes said. “We think it was because the turnout was low, because it was in the summer and a runoff. Because Jim Whitehead did so well originally, I think people weren’t concerned about it.”

Early turnout worries shifted the Whitehead campaign’s focus from victory to survival. Staffers who had been dispatched to work on the victory party were called back to the office for last-minute turnout efforts, campaign sources said.

A spokeswoman for the Georgia secretary of state said turnout was 13.5 percent. Turnout in last month’s special election was 16 percent.

Past special elections have seen higher turnout.

Broun’s campaign manager, Joshua Evans, noted that turnout was strong in Columbia County, and Broun still won.
“It was actually a 20 percent voter turnout in Columbia County — [Whitehead’s] strongest area,” Evans said. “To say that there was low voter turnout in his strong area just would not be correct.”

Evans attributed the win to the campaign’s work to communicate a strong and sincere message and a large grassroots-turnout operation. In particular, it reached out to black voters, Democrats and independents in the weeks before the runoff.

Broun tried to convince Athens-area Democrats that they had a stake in the election and should vote for him.

Both men are staunch conservatives.

If Broun does become the newest member of Congress, he might have another tough race on his hands in the coming months. Those close to the race expect some of the candidates who failed to make the runoff to run again, potentially setting up a primary in 2008.

Whitehead is not expected to be a candidate. His campaign could not be reached for official comment yesterday.

http://thehill.com/campaign-2008/apparently-defeated-whitehead-pays-stunning-price-for-snubbing-athens-2007-07-19.html
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2007, 09:48:55 PM »

Looks like Paul has a partner in Capitol Hill http://politics1.com
RBH

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2007, 01:35:16 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

"Instant karma's gonna get ya.."
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2007, 12:47:40 AM »

At least Broun looks like he might have libertarian tendencies and a strong independent streak even if he is quite a nut. Whitehead would just vote the party line on everything.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2007, 04:40:24 AM »

Holy crud.  I was in Georgia, and this received zero statewide coverage.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2007, 05:31:44 AM »

Zero Statewide or Zero Atlanta?  There is a difference you know, as much as Atlantans like to believe otherwise.  GA-10 isn't part of Metro Atlanta.  It did receive decent coverage on the Augusta stations.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2007, 02:54:39 PM »

Zero statewide.  I actually assumed it was all over the Atlanta outlets.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies