Donald Trump is going to win the election and democracy will be just fine by Rep.Jared Golden(D-ME)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 08, 2024, 10:36:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Donald Trump is going to win the election and democracy will be just fine by Rep.Jared Golden(D-ME)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Donald Trump is going to win the election and democracy will be just fine by Rep.Jared Golden(D-ME)  (Read 1652 times)
Proud Independent
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 02, 2024, 02:39:59 PM »

https://www.bangordailynews.com/2024/07/02/opinion/opinion-contributor/jared-golden-donald-trump-going-to-win-election-democracy-be-just-fine/
TechbroMBA
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2024, 02:40:51 PM »

FF
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2024, 02:42:18 PM »

There are winners and losers in every election. Democrats’ post-debate hand-wringing is based on the idea that a Trump victory is not just a political loss, but a unique threat to our democracy. I reject the premise. Unlike Biden and many others, I refuse to participate in a campaign to scare voters with the idea that Trump will end our democratic system.

Very mature op-ed from Golden.
AncestralDemocrat.
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2024, 02:44:21 PM »

Blatant survival mode.
certified hummus supporter 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2024, 02:45:11 PM »

Looks like someone has their head stuck up their ass
Spectator
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2024, 02:45:40 PM »

Notice how he never once mentioned working with Susan Collins whereas he did Manchin. He's trying to win this race so he can then run for Senate in 2026.
Unbeatable Titan Susan Collins
johnzaharoff

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2024, 02:45:59 PM »

Yes but also the first elected Dem to more or less say Biden is finished.
Unbeatable Titan Susan Collins
johnzaharoff

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2024, 02:46:53 PM »

Notice how he never once mentioned working with Susan Collins whereas he did Manchin. He's trying to win this race so he can then run for Senate in 2026.

They are close. He is not going to run against her. Would run for an open seat in 2026 though.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2024, 02:47:03 PM »

Yep. This is an insanely gross and awful op-ed from Golden but it's very transparent why he's doing it. Not sure if I would vote for him if I was in ME-02 tbh though.

Say what you want about Biden, whatever, to act as if everything Trump has done and says he'll do is no threat to democracy is just insanely and objectively out of touch and ridiculous.

The way he talks about 1/6 obscures the reality that we were *this close* to a much much worse crisis.
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2024, 02:48:20 PM »

Someone is getting desperate.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2024, 02:48:54 PM »

If he believes that then why should anyone bother to turn up to vote him? Saying he is OK with Trump winning would make me leave Golden's space blank.

That said I will paraphrase Maya Angelou. When someone tells you who they are believe them. Trump has said he will end democracy so it's not a scare tactic.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2024, 02:49:19 PM »

Naive fool. He voted to impeach Trump for two separate incidents but now shrugs off the threat of Trump returning to office.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2024, 02:51:35 PM »

Naive fool. He voted to impeach Trump for two separate incidents but now shrugs off the threat of Trump returning to office.

This makes it even worse. He's so clearly transparent on what he's doing here. He doesn't even give Biden a single ounce of credit for any legislation either.
Spectator
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2024, 02:57:09 PM »

This makes it even worse. He's so clearly transparent on what he's doing here. He doesn't even give Biden a single ounce of credit for any legislation either.

Do you seriously expect him to praise Biden? He represents the second-reddest district held by a Democrat. Trump is probably up double digits in ME-02 right now. He's dissociating himself from Biden. His political instincts so far have been far better than most of the rest of his party.
AncestralDemocrat.
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2024, 02:58:23 PM »

HP.

The dude was a Biden hack until the debate ended.
wnwnwn
Peru

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2024, 02:59:21 PM »

Careerist move
Dino?

Pick me dem? Hahahaha
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2024, 03:02:14 PM »

Anyone flip flopping on Trump's threat to democracy after the debate was/is telling a self serving lie or is coping to high heaven.
jred
Rookie
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2024, 03:04:08 PM »

Hundreds of police officers protected the democratic process against thousands who tried to use violence to upend it. Judges and state election officials upheld our election laws. Members of Congress, including leaders from both parties, certified the election results.

I’m sorry?? He’s using this as justification for having a kick-your-feet-up-and-let-it-happen attitude about Trump heading back to the White House? There has never been an election before where we’ve needed to point out that the courts and people responsible for certification did their jobs. I feel like I’m going insane.
xavier110
United States
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2024, 03:04:34 PM »

A few things:

- Golden is an astute politician. Trump is going to win his district by 15 points possibly, lol, at this rate
- it’s not like Golden went rogue; pretty sure he ran this by some higher ups to not PO people, which should also tell you something
- he’s not wrong
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2024, 03:07:04 PM »

Kudos to him for being honest though, saying that Trump has the election locked for months.

However, saying Trump isn’t a threat to democracy is either dumb American exceptionalism denialism (“But it could never happen to us!”) or trying to fit in with the next government for better deals like corporate hacks tend to do.

For such normalization of fascism to come from regular democrats isn’t surprising at all though, knowing what the party is.
Spectator
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2024, 03:08:37 PM »

Hundreds of police officers protected the democratic process against thousands who tried to use violence to upend it. Judges and state election officials upheld our election laws. Members of Congress, including leaders from both parties, certified the election results.

I’m sorry?? He’s using this as justification for having a kick-your-feet-up-and-let-it-happen attitude about Trump heading back to the White House? There has never been an election before where we’ve needed to point out that the courts and people responsible for certification did their jobs. I feel like I’m going insane.

I think this is more of an angle to argue that the election is lost with Biden than just ceding it and not doing anything. Essentially just stating the obvious. He isn't advocating "giving up," he's merely stating that our institutions are stronger than the idea that Trump can single-handedly dismantle them. If Biden doesn't step down, this op-ed creates some distance between him and Biden.

This is just a more subtle way of calling for Biden to hang it up compared to Lloyd Doggett's more direct way.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2024, 03:09:11 PM »

A few things:

- Golden is an astute politician. Trump is going to win his district by 15 points possibly, lol, at this rate
- it’s not like Golden went rogue; pretty sure he ran this by some higher ups to not PO people, which should also tell you something
- he’s not wrong

No offense but I'm highly disappointed in you on this. Most of this from Golden and the posturing is not surprising given his district but the implicit "yeah it doesnt matter if Trump wins, democracy will be fine" is so astonishingly gross given what Trump has done and said over the last 4 years. Indefensible for him imo to somehow defend and let Trump skate on that matter.
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2024, 03:09:31 PM »

Yup could very well be that, seeing that Maine will be more competitive this time. So he’s trying to look “moderate” by throwing a bone to Trump as well.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2024, 03:10:12 PM »

Do you seriously expect him to praise Biden? He represents the second-reddest district held by a Democrat. Trump is probably up double digits in ME-02 right now. He's dissociating himself from Biden. His political instincts so far have been far better than most of the rest of his party.

There's been many Republicans who have praised Biden at least on legislation issues. I don't expect him to hug Biden, but to act as if none of Biden's legislation had anything to do with him is factually wrong.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2024, 03:12:38 PM »

I think there’s a point here. Democracy won’t be “fine” but it won’t be totally dead either. Poland is ruled by a right-wing nationalist party with authoritarian tendencies but it’s not a total single-party authoritarian state at this moment. Israel seems to be in a similar state.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies