James Carville: "Let a thousand flowers bloom" at Open Democratic Convention
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 03, 2024, 10:23:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  James Carville: "Let a thousand flowers bloom" at Open Democratic Convention
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: James Carville: "Let a thousand flowers bloom" at Open Democratic Convention  (Read 1013 times)
Almost Anyone But Biden Or Trump (ABBoT but not Greg Abbott)
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 01, 2024, 08:54:47 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlhZturMG4I

Carville says Biden should be replaced

Longtime Democratic strategist James Carville said Monday that President Biden should be replaced at the top of the 2024 ticket following his poor debate performance against former President Trump.

The country is clamoring for change, and what are we going to offer them? The same stuff? It doesn’t make any sense, Jake,” Carville said.

They want something different. Let’s give it to them. I just don’t get the whole thing, I’ll be honest with you,” he added.

Carville joins other Democrats who have suggested Biden should step aside, including House Democrats who questioned whether he should remain at the top of the ticket in this year’s presidential contest.

“I really like President Biden, but man, the country wants something new, let them have it. Why are we fighting this inevitable desire?” Carville said. “Give the people a shot, let them see who’s in the party, and I believe there’s staggering talent in the Democratic Party. Get out of the way and let a thousand flowers bloom.”

Carville is totally right. Let's run the change candidate, and run against the unpopular incumbent - convicted criminal and adjudicated rapist President Donald Trump, the guy who overturned Roe v. Wade.

Another great quote from Carville (only in the video, not included in that article, is "Don't just sit there, do something." Exactly. Surely anything else must be better than just sitting there and playing dead with a nominee that has to hide from the country for fear of misspeaking in any non-choreographed setting.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2024, 08:58:15 PM »
« Edited: July 01, 2024, 09:01:25 PM by Roll Roons »

There absolutely is a lot of talent in the Democratic Party, but they'd inevitably go with something stupid like Harris/Buttigieg.
illuminativampire
Rookie
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2024, 09:01:44 PM »
« Edited: July 02, 2024, 12:03:36 AM by illuminativampire »

"WE AGREE!"
\/
axiomsofdominion
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2024, 09:07:22 PM »

This would be correct except that "the people" have no say at all. Only party insiders who are convention delegates, which are almost all for Biden.

Now if we could rerun the primary, sure. But we can't.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2024, 09:14:22 PM »

This would be correct except that "the people" have no say at all. Only party insiders who are convention delegates, which are almost all for Biden.

I feel like this is the biggest issue with a swap - it would make the Democratic Party look undemocratic, especially since Biden received nearly 90% of the vote collectively in the Dem primaries. I bet a good handful of those Biden primary voters would be in favor of replacing him or at least pretty neutral, but it's impossible to measure the scale. If the DNC does want to go the replacement route, they'll have to find a way to make it as Democratic as possible
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2024, 09:15:48 PM »

Swapping out Biden would be such a chaotic move that I’d feel better about Trump’s chances if it were to happen than if it were to not.
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2024, 09:16:23 PM »

That could be true, but it does not have to be. Like Carville (and others) have said, you could very easily organize a bunch of debates and town halls and other events prior to the convention, which would allow potential candidates to make the case for themselves publicly.

Polls would obviously be taken, which would provide some measure of public opinion and delegates would inevitably take into account. The public would also obviously participate via fundraising, and candidates that could quickly get a large number of small donors (demonstrating some broader appeal and excitement) would help themselves.

If the DNC wants to, they can also find a way to have some sort of public participation via some sort of voting in the process, even if only on a limited basis. Tech companies could help the DNC set something like that up if they wanted it.

There are lots of different variations on how exactly things could be done, but it is not like nothing can be done.
axiomsofdominion
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2024, 09:19:05 PM »

That could be true, but it does not have to be. Like Carville (and others) have said, you could very easily organize a bunch of debates and town halls and other events prior to the convention, which would allow potential candidates to make the case for themselves publicly.

Polls would obviously be taken, which would provide some measure of public opinion and delegates would inevitably take into account. The public would also obviously participate via fundraising, and candidates that could quickly get a large number of small donors (demonstrating some broader appeal and excitement) would help themselves.

If the DNC wants to, they can also find a way to have some sort of public participation via some sort of voting in the process, even if only on a limited basis. Tech companies could help the DNC set something like that up if they wanted it.

There are lots of different variations on how exactly things could be done, but it is not like nothing can be done.

No, this is totally unrealistic. I've been involved in campaigns and elections.

You simply can't set up anything representative nationally with so little time and no government support.
Obama24
United States
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2024, 09:20:02 PM »

You simply can't set up anything representative nationally with so little time and no government support.

What if Biden resigned and let Harris take over, released his delegates to her? Much neater
dw93
DWL
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2024, 09:21:32 PM »

What if Biden resigned and let Harris take over, released his delegates to her? Much neater

It's neater, sure but there are much stronger candidates out there. I've said it before, Harris and Newsom, even post debate, are the two candidates capable of doing worse than Biden.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2024, 09:22:54 PM »

Swapping out Biden would be such a chaotic move that I’d feel better about Trump’s chances if it were to happen than if it were to not.

It would messy in the short-term, but pay off big time in the long term. Carville is right for a change. Americans are so dispirited by their two choices they might just settle for anyone else from either party. And I doubt they care much how. Democrats especially don't care anymore either, we are all just fearful of Trump (increasingly so by the day) and need some assurance from a Democtatic candidate.
Obama24
United States
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2024, 09:23:56 PM »

It's neater, sure but there are much stronger candidates out there. I've said it before, Harris and Newsom, even post debate, are the two candidates capable of doing worse than Biden.

I think at this point it’s a question of 1) Biden’s legacy 2) How bad the loss need be.

If Biden stays in and loses he will be reviled.
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2024, 09:27:53 PM »

You can if you are the DNC and a real campaign for a party nominee or incumbent (like the Biden campaign).

The Bernie campaign was not that, that is a totally different animal.

The DNC and Biden campaign have plenty of resources to do this, the main difficulty is agreeing on a plan quickly enough and in an organized manner enough to do it, which is a matter of political coordination. You would just need to get all the main party leaders (Obama, the Clintons, Jeffries, Schumer, Pelosi, etc) together and have them sign off on a general plan and put their authority behind it.

As for debates and town halls though, what would happen is candidates would just start going on as much media as they could, and networks would set up debates and invite candidates, and candidates would all flock to join them. So that part especially is the relatively easy part.
dw93
DWL
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2024, 09:30:19 PM »

I think at this point it’s a question of 1) Biden’s legacy 2) How bad the loss need be.

If Biden stays in and loses he will be reviled.

If we're gonna replace Biden, we should try for the best candidate possible, even if the process of doing so is a bit messy in the short run. Age aside, explain how Harris would do better? How does she appeal in the rust belt?
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2024, 09:32:47 PM »

VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2024, 09:34:36 PM »

Extremely disappointed in Fetterman.
Obama24
United States
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2024, 09:39:39 PM »

Always the epitome of class and decorum
axiomsofdominion
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2024, 09:40:22 PM »

I am also extremely disappointed in any political official who disagrees with even 1 of my opinions.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2024, 09:42:10 PM »

It would messy in the short-term, but pay off big time in the long term. Carville is right for a change. Americans are so dispirited by their two choices they might just settle for anyone else from either party. And I doubt they care much how. Democrats especially don't care anymore either, we are all just fearful of Trump (increasingly so by the day) and need some assurance from a Democtatic candidate.

Depending on who the candidate is. Harris and Newsom, for example, I’d feel would still be easier for Trump to beat than even post-debate Biden because they’d completely turn away the WWC in ways even Biden wouldn’t.

My view on the race honestly is:

1. Trump is currently the favorite to win the election at the moment.

2. Biden is not DOA by any means, and could easily still win via polling error, a vigorous comeback, or a Trump collapse. (I’ll be shocked if Trump does significantly better than 2016 in the deciding states and still am not sold on him winning the PV)

3. None of those things that could save Biden are guaranteed to happen, and Dems shouldn’t operate like.a white knight is going to save him.

4. Biden isn’t the Dems’ strongest nominee, and replacing him could improve Dems’ chances if a strong candidate is chosen.

5. Not every viable Biden replacement is better positioned to win than Biden himself, even now, is.
Sumner 1868
Maps are a good thing
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2024, 09:44:07 PM »

Wait, wasn't Fetterman calling for Biden to drop out only a few hours ago? Now he's getting mad at the idea?!?!
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2024, 09:46:11 PM »

Always the epitome of class and decorum

Looks as if he has taken a selfie of himself on a good day.   
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2024, 09:47:00 PM »

Yeah. I can't tell if he's tone-deaf, or thinks he's being clever. (I don't generally think of Carville as being ignorant, but I suppose that's possible, too.)
Spectator
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2024, 09:47:57 PM »

Extremely disappointed in Fetterman.

Why wouldn’t he want Biden to continue? Trump winning basically guarantees Fetterman is reelected in 2028.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26
YaBB God

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2024, 10:36:20 PM »

Wait, wasn't Fetterman calling for Biden to drop out only a few hours ago? Now he's getting mad at the idea?!?!

No he wasn't.
Sumner 1868
Maps are a good thing
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2024, 10:43:49 PM »

No he wasn't.

Looks like I misread the USGD thread.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies