Biden dropping out countdown
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 01, 2024, 09:36:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Biden dropping out countdown
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: When do you think Biden would drop out?
Next week

Within the next 2 weeks

August

Biden never drops out

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 92

Author Topic: Biden dropping out countdown  (Read 1081 times)
iceman
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 29, 2024, 09:01:23 PM »

question.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2024, 09:05:43 PM »

After Trump's sentencing doesn't change anything at the latest. I could see a sort of conpromise where he stays in until that happens. There would still be about a month to spare for the convention.
iceman
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2024, 09:27:19 PM »

After Trump's sentencing doesn't change anything at the latest. I could see a sort of conpromise where he stays in until that happens. There would still be about a month to spare for the convention.

just look at it this way: if Trump would be sentenced to jail, how would that go with the public after the talks of Biden’s debate performance in the coming weeks? That would seem like a desperate attempt by the democrats to turnaround the trajectory of the campaign in the eyes of an average voter (who are usually not engaged in politics). I reckon Biden’s flop in the debates would still be a noisier talking point in the months to come over Trump’s jail sentence.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2024, 09:29:10 PM »

Probably by the end of the week there will be some sort of announcement.  I think the writing is on the wall.  Obama’s public support is just an attempt to protect Biden’s dignity.  I think behind the scenes things are being decided.  The writing is on the wall for all but the most extreme bloomers (mostly on this message board, weirdly)
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2024, 09:29:38 PM »

I could see right after the 4th of July. Do the patriotic thing Joe.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2024, 09:30:17 PM »

Either within a week or never. This blows up or blows over.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2024, 09:30:55 PM »

Within the next two weeks for sure, but possibly as early as tomorrow. They are going to put up a front like they are going 110% full bore and Biden is staying in the race until he's dragged out kicking and screaming until the very last minute, and then all of a sudden he will announce he's out.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2024, 09:32:00 PM »

For now, this seems about as likely as a Jimmy Carter drop out just because New York s*&ked.
Splash
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2024, 09:42:25 PM »

I still don't think he'll drop out unless his internals over the next few days look really bad.
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2024, 09:45:39 PM »

If Biden really does decide to drop out, he’ll warn top Democratic officials ahead of time so that they can plan ahead accordingly. It might take at least 2 weeks.
oldtimer
YaBB God
Greece

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2024, 09:45:47 PM »

For now, this seems about as likely as a Jimmy Carter drop out just because New York s*&ked.

Oh I'm convinced it's happening in real time.

You already have complaints from Democrats about a party coup going on, the Family is metting him for "reasons", and the most parroted line is basically:

"I love Biden, he should kill himself"
oldtimer
YaBB God
Greece

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2024, 09:51:20 PM »

If Biden really does decide to drop out, he’ll warn top Democratic officials ahead of time so that they can plan ahead accordingly. It might take at least 2 weeks.

It's the other way around.

Most suspected that the Primaries where stiched up, so that when they where over Biden would be forced to retire and hand the nomination to whoever was chosen backstage.

The reason was the fear that the real nominee would have trouble winning the primaries.

This was June 11th 2022:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/11/us/politics/biden-2024-election-democrats.html?referringSource=articleShare
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2024, 09:55:14 PM »

Why does the word "sucked" need to be censored?
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2024, 09:55:45 PM »

You already have complaints from Democrats about a party coup going on, the Family is metting him for "reasons", and the most parroted line is basically:

Most suspected that the Primaries where stiched up, so that when they where over Biden would be forced to retire and hand the nomination to whoever was chosen backstage.

The reason was the fear that the real nominee would have trouble winning the primaries.

This was June 11th 2022:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/11/us/politics/biden-2024-election-democrats.html?referringSource=articleShare
What are you yapping about?
oldtimer
YaBB God
Greece

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2024, 10:25:36 PM »

This was June 11th 2022:

That a lot of people expected it.

I posted something months ago (6 months ?) from a Establishment Greek Newspaper, I think my post was "The view from Greece" or something:

The plan was Biden to drop out once the primaries where over, but that there was disagreement about what to do with Harris, that she was too weak to beat Trump but it was difficult to also get rid of her.

Foreign news isn't censored in Greece, so for example we knew beforehand that Brexit and Trump where going to win in 2016 thanks to our foreign correspondents.
Burke Bro
omelott
Israel

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2024, 07:04:17 AM »

It is incredibly troubling to me that no swing state/district Democratic candidates are speaking out on Biden’s debate performance. Normally, they’re a good indication of whether the party is because they provide the rest of the party with cover. From what it sounds like, Brown and Tester, and even Baldwin/CCM/Casey/Slotkin, are preparing to go down with the ship.
SnowLabrador
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2024, 07:06:21 AM »

He isn't going to drop out, even if he freefalls in the polls.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2024, 07:08:28 AM »

He doesn't seem that selfish. Surely, he doesn't want the Presidency for the limelight and attention.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2024, 07:14:48 AM »

He doesn't seem that selfish. Surely, he doesn't want the Presidency for the limelight and attention.

Good one.
Open Source Intelligence
United States
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2024, 07:19:44 AM »

This was June 11th 2022:

That a lot of people expected it.

I posted something months ago (6 months ?) from a Establishment Greek Newspaper, I think my post was "The view from Greece" or something:

The plan was Biden to drop out once the primaries where over, but that there was disagreement about what to do with Harris, that she was too weak to beat Trump but it was difficult to also get rid of her.

Foreign news isn't censored in Greece, so for example we knew beforehand that Brexit and Trump where going to win in 2016 thanks to our foreign correspondents.

This all falls in line with how the modern-day Democratic Party hates open primaries and openly avoids them like the plague. Can give you countless examples.

My personal opinion was always the plan was for Biden to win reelection, serves a year if that, then forced by his own party to resign for medical reasons. (That was not Biden's plan of course, just stakeholders around him.) I have never believed in the event of a Biden win he would be serving until January 2029. (I'm not certain Trump makes it to January 2029 either.) That this talk is going on now is a private acknowledgement by Democrats they think Biden will instead lose.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2024, 07:22:17 AM »

I voted within a week because it is the only sane option. But I admit to wishful thinking being part of my vote here.
Open Source Intelligence
United States
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2024, 07:24:22 AM »

I voted within a week because it is the only sane option. But I admit to wishful thinking being part of my vote here.

Too early. If he steps out, he'll get some advance notice out there because we're so late in the game and Democrats will want to consolidate around what are they doing next, because it's not necessarily automatically Harris. We'll be for example having an open convention floor vote for the first time in decades.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2024, 07:27:16 AM »

I saw the thread title partially. Don't do that!
Nitos Mederandel

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2024, 07:31:19 AM »

Honestly, the fallout from the debate has been far too damaging. You cannot survive having half the party and most of the media openly calling on you to withdraw your candidacy. In the future it will seem obvious that he had no option but to go.
redjohn
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2024, 07:49:20 AM »

It’s pretty clear to me, from media reports and even the way those around him are wording things (the admission that he is absolutely humiliated and knows the images of him looking senile will live beyond his presidency), that Biden will drop out soon.

I believe Harris will be the annointed nominee, with a handful of delegates going in other candidates’ directions. She can’t be worse than Biden has been, can she?

God, it’s downright cruel that Biden’s inner circle let him get this far. It’s been clear for a long time that he’s put our country in cruise control in large part due to age-related problems. Enough. I hope he drops out at the least, and possibly even resigns. Americans can’t have confidence in our leadership like this.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies