Pope: Other Christians not true churches
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 11:15:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Pope: Other Christians not true churches
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Pope: Other Christians not true churches  (Read 8708 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 11, 2007, 11:02:37 PM »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070710/ap_on_re_eu/pope_other_christians

What a worthless piece of sh!t this guy is.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 11:13:45 PM »

Eh, Ill let them fight themselves. Its entertaining. This guy just hasnt stopped givin us material since he took the....uh.....throne? Is that what they call it? I dunno.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 11:15:52 PM »

Oh boy.

It's sh**t like this that makes me really wonder about organized religion.  How can there be so many people thinking so many things and they all are completely 100% sure that theirs is the right one with God's approval?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 11:49:18 PM »

I disagree with what was said but I also disagree with the Catholic bashing that will follow. I am a friend of SoS but the post below is an example of that Catholic bashing ignorance.

Eh, Ill let them fight themselves. Its entertaining. This guy just hasnt stopped givin us material since he took the....uh.....throne? Is that what they call it? I dunno.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 11:50:15 PM »

I disagree with what was said but I also disagree with the Catholic bashing that will follow. I am a friend of SoS but the post below is an example of that Catholic bashing ignorance.

Catholic bashing ignorance?  It looks to me like he just doesn't know what to call it.  I don't think I would either.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 11:55:03 PM »

Catholic bashing ignorance?  It looks to me like he just doesn't know what to call it.  I don't think I would either.

Then don't call it anything. It was clearly an unnecessary jab at my faith. Voice your concerns with the Pope's comments but let's not make this into an attack on some of our traditions.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 11:59:13 PM »

Then don't call it anything. It was clearly an unnecessary jab at my faith. Voice your concerns with the Pope's comments but let's not make this into an attack on some of our traditions.

"Clearly"?  I didn't view it as one.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 12:01:23 AM »

"...since he clearly took the...uh...throne? Is that what they call it? I dunno."

The wording seemed like a jab to me.
Conan
conan

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2007, 12:05:56 AM »

"...since he clearly took the...uh...throne? Is that what they call it? I dunno."

I think they say take the papacy.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2007, 12:07:33 AM »

Well, what other pronouns do you use to refer to a large group of people of whom you are not a part?
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2007, 12:08:15 AM »

No dude....seriously, I just didnt know if it had a title or not, especially since the papacy was once tightly tied to the Holy Roman Empire, I wasnt sure if it carried over a title or something. Some are called thrones, some chairs, some offices, I just had no clue. The 'they' refers to Catholics, seeing as 'we' doesnt fit for me. I didnt mean anything negative at all, and I apologize for the misunderstanding.
Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2007, 12:13:05 AM »

How unfortunate. The disrespect within the Christian church is truly astonishing, especially considering that everyone supposedly believes in the same God.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2007, 01:08:08 AM »

If he and Dobson got into a fight to the death, that would be a win-win situation.

Maybe he can call for some new crusades. That ought to be great.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2007, 01:40:05 AM »

I think you're overreacting a bit there, but I understand where you're coming from, religion being the volatile subject it is.

Personally, things like what the Pope recently said, has said in the past, and will most likely continue to say are what turned me off of Catholicism, and later worship as a whole, at a young age. The Pope seems to be inciting infighting in the Christian community that is unwarranted and unwanted by most.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2007, 02:16:43 AM »

Papal supremacy is an ancient Roman doctrine that simply does not hold water given Peter's deference to James at the Council of Jerusalem.  Basing doctrine on a pun is hardly wise policy in my opinion.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2007, 02:41:12 AM »

Strangely, the orthodox churches have not protested. Perhaps because he does recognizes them as churches, but as defective ones because they're not following him.
And I like how he basically says there can be no reconciliation with the other denomination before the Papal authority is recognized by them.
It seems that he is determined to undo everything his predecessor, especially his works on reconciliation, did as quickly as possible: Last year accusing the Moslems of being violent (and then not having the spine to back it up) and now he's trying to alienate the other Christian churches.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2007, 03:19:18 AM »

While majorly embarrasing for the Catholic Church. I tend not to care or take heed of what the Pope or any cardinal or bishop says anymore.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2007, 03:38:00 AM »

Strangely, the orthodox churches have not protested. Perhaps because he does recognizes them as churches, but as defective ones because they're not following him.
And I like how he basically says there can be no reconciliation with the other denomination before the Papal authority is recognized by them.
It seems that he is determined to undo everything his predecessor, especially his works on reconciliation, did as quickly as possible: Last year accusing the Moslems of being violent (and then not having the spine to back it up) and now he's trying to alienate the other Christian churches.

Yep, he certainly has been a great Pope so far. He's been undoing all the damage his predecessor did and he is helping to bring the church back to its former glory.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2007, 05:23:18 AM »

Yep, he certainly has been a great Pope so far. He's been undoing all the damage his predecessor did and he is helping to bring the church back to its former glory.
I wasn't a great supporter of John Paul II, but how did he damage the church? Unless you mean the above mentioned reconcilation, which in my opinion was one of the good things he did.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2007, 05:39:04 AM »

Don't agree with the guy whatsoever, but there is no need to bash all Catholics.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2007, 07:45:17 AM »
« Edited: July 12, 2007, 07:46:58 AM by States'Raats »

I wasn't a great supporter of John Paul II, but how did he damage the church? Unless you mean the above mentioned reconcilation, which in my opinion was one of the good things he did.

Paul II laid down to everyone and he was afraid to tell any other faith they are wrong. I'm sorry, you can't call yourself and true Christian, imho, and say that every other faith is right or acceptable. I, personally, respect most religions and their right to practice but that doesn't mean I have to believe a word they say or find it acceptable. J.P 2 also said that the Jewish people held no responsibility for the death of Jesus when biblically they did approve of the crucifixion of Christ*.

*=Not modern day Jews and not to be used as a reason for persecution, imho.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2007, 07:54:36 AM »

This is hardly news. That's pretty much been the church's doctrine since it was conceived. And it's not like some other Christian denominations haven't made similar claims.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2007, 08:43:21 AM »

I would like to see reconciliation between the Protestant Churches and the Catholic Church, but I think peaceful dialog would be a better way of accomplishing that goal than this.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2007, 09:15:16 AM »

I would like to see reconciliation between the Protestant Churches and the Catholic Church, but I think peaceful dialog would be a better way of accomplishing that goal than this.

Probably....

This is a very poor decision by the Pope to continue this sort of nonsense (if it has always been the stance of the church, they should keep it quiet) 

He is a man, he has no blood of St. Peter, he is a sinner, who is he to say what Christians are saved and which are not?

I'm sorry to attack this again, but hundreds of years later the reasons for the reformation are reaffirmed.

Of course, we protestants have gone on to generate our own garbage too.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2007, 10:39:36 AM »

Don't agree with the guy whatsoever, but there is no need to bash all Catholics.

Especially since maybe 15% of Catholics agree with or even care about half the stuff the church teaches.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies